Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Truist (fka Suntrust) Skymiles Check Card [see WIKI for offers]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Please don't delete this Wiki.
Some of us still earn Delta miles with this card or may want information about past or grandfathered terms and conditions.

Please do not spread panic about miles not posting until after the 10th of each month.
In most cases, miles post in the evening on the 5th of each month if it's a business day, or else the evening of the next business day. "Miles post for purchases made between (inclusive) 5th day of prior month to 4th day of current month."
__________________________________________________ ____________

Current offer (as of March 2017) is for just 5,000 miles.
https://www.suntrust.com/personal-ba...les-debit-card

Most current 25,000 offer was in-branch only, through May 9, 2016:
INTRODUCING YOUR NEW EVERYDAY GETAWAY CARD: THE SKYMILES® DEBIT CARD.
Ready for a one-of-a-kind debit card that actually rewards you? Here's one that deposits miles directly into your SkyMiles account. You can earn up to 25,000 bonus miles with the SkyMiles World Debit Card from SunTrust. What's more, when you use your Card for everyday purchases, the miles add up quickly — and they'll never expire.

Here's how it works:
• Present this email at your nearest branch, or call 1-800-650-7277 and mention this offer.
• Get 5,000 bonus miles when you open or upgrade to a new qualifying SunTrust Signature Advantage Checking account with a Delta SkyMiles Debit Card and make your first qualifying purchase. If you already have a Signature Advantage Checking account, ask to upgrade your debit card to a Delta SkyMiles Debit Card.
• Get an additional 20,000 promotional bonus miles when you make 20 qualifying purchases within the first 90 days of account opening.
Continue to earn miles just for using your Card:
• Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on everyday purchases like groceries, gas and restaurant purchases.1 (up to 4,000 per Card monthly)
• Earn 2 miles per dollar on all direct Delta purchases including flights, Delta Sky Club® passes, in-flight purchases of food and beverages and more.1
• Apply your miles toward upgrades and Award Travel to more than 1,000 destinations worldwide2 on Delta and its partner airlines.
• $75 Annual Fee (reduced fee may apply, ask for details).1
Hurry — this incredible 25,000 bonus mile offer is only available until May 9, 2016.
VISIT YOUR LOCAL BRANCH
    __________________________________________________ _____________

History of Recent Past Offers:

Changes as of 7/25/15 :
    Balanced Banking (no longer available): 95a/f, 1mile/$2 up to 2000 miles, $3000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee

Signature Advantage: $75a/f, 1mile/$1 up to 4000 miles, $25000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee

Solid Choice: $95a/f, 2m/$1 up to 2000 miles, $5000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee
    SunTrust has a list of items that aren't supposed to earn miles, but some do anyway: cash advances, cash back, ATM transactions, tax payments, payments for stored value cards, wire transfers, money transfers, money orders, cashier checks, quasi cash, travelers cheques, purchase of monetary instruments

-----------------------------------------------------------
    If SunTrust closed your account, it would be great if you could share a little info about the account history.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Print Wikipost

Truist (fka Suntrust) Skymiles Check Card [see WIKI for offers]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
    My personal banker was kind enough to show the rules and instructions.
    It specifically says "we do not want to encourage" people opening accounts for miles alone. So it appears that Suntrust is starting to learn....

The problem is NOT getting the cards, but getting the miles this time.
    I read all the rules in depth. We were quite happy at first as the business account could have 4 users, while the personal was limited to 2. So I thought, 4x25k miles for 120$ was too good.
    Then the rules became clear - 120$ for the ACCOUNT for all cards, but only 1 bonus of 25k miles.

In summary, you get 15k for 75$ AND 25k for 120$
    So 40k for a bit less than 200 (call it 200 with the cost of gas etc)
    It works out to 0.5 cpm = OK for now, but not in large quantities like last time.
    Since you get a mid level coach for 40k this just means a free domestic for 40k miles or 200$.

The rules state that ONLY the PRIMARY user of the account would get the miles.
    So while we have 4 members in our family, we can do 5 accounts and 1 biz
    = me alone, me + spouse, +kid1, +kid2, and another
    That comes to 75k miles and the 25k gets me to 100k
    Cost 500$ total, not bad for biz class to EU on AF.

Last 2 years it was scalable to 1MM miles easily for <4000$
    Each personal card 55$ for 15k and each biz card for each person 25k.
    We went wild.
    This one is much more sedate and involves a lot more money tied up.
    If puting my delta # in the me+spouse account,it looks like to contradict the rule that a delta # is unique for every account. However putting wife's delta # in the me+spouse account,it seems breaking the rule that only the primary user can get the bonus. I am very confused on their rules. Thank you for your previous answer.
    Old May 15, 2012, 1:05 pm

Well....

Was able to login yesterday. Today, not able to.

Online chat says "we don't have a record of your account". A 30 minute and multiple transfer phone call later and I get the "we don't know why your account was terminated. Suntrust reserves the right to terminate their relationship with any client at any time"

Old May 15, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: United Silver
    Originally Posted by baughb

Online chat says "we don't have a record of your account". A 30 minute and multiple transfer phone call later and I get the "we don't know why your account was terminated. Suntrust reserves the right to terminate their relationship with any client at any time"

Did your funding already go through for the account?
    Old May 15, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold

Same deal with me. Signed up online and everything went fine, tried to sign up the Mrs. and kept getting failure messages. Called in and the rep said we had to do it in person.

The rep we met with called in and was told neither the wife nor I could open an account, but couldn't get a reason why. Very odd, indeed!
    Old May 15, 2012, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by wanderlustre
    Same deal with me. Signed up online and everything went fine, tried to sign up the Mrs. and kept getting failure messages. Called in and the rep said we had to do it in person.

The rep we met with called in and was told neither the wife nor I could open an account, but couldn't get a reason why. Very odd, indeed!
    Very odd indeed. I just returned my signature card after setting up my account via chat. If you actually went to a branch location I'm not sure why they would deny you unless you have a history of opening and closing accounts quickly. I'm curious to see how they will handle my application since I have opened only a couple accounts in the past 10 years. If they close it then they might be doing a batch rejection on all accounts that were created during a certain period.
    Old May 15, 2012, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by BrycePGH
    Did your funding already go through for the account?
    It did. And they also already returned my funds =\
    Old May 15, 2012, 2:35 pm

Can anyone confirm with certainty that a PayPal transfer in to your bank account using the method below will indeed count as an ACH direct deposit and therefore qualify you for the extra 15k miles?

Originally Posted by centrifuge41
    1) Log in
    2) My Account > Profile > Add or Edit Bank Account
    3) Add Bank. Go through verification / trial deposits yadda yadda
    4) My Account > Withdraw > Transfer to Bank Account
    This is the first and only time that I've heard someone say NO..
    Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
    To answer about Paypal - NO - this would not count as a direct deposit.
    If this is the case, what would be the easiest other option? I'm self employed and don't receive a "paycheck".

Last edited by junglesmacks; May 15, 2012 at 3:17 pm
    Old May 15, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
    Originally Posted by junglesmacks
    Can anyone confirm with certainty that a PayPal transfer in to your bank account using the method below will indeed count as an ACH direct deposit and therefore qualify you for the extra 15k miles?

This is the first and only time that I've heard someone say NO..

If this is the case, what would be the easiest other option? I'm self employed and don't receive a "paycheck".
    I'm in the same boat here, and would love to hear about some other options. I did stumble across this post, which says that one could sign up for a free trial offer of Intuit's QuickBooks payroll service. Theoretically, you might be able to pay yourself via direct deposit with this, although I haven't looked into it in detail yet.
    Old May 15, 2012, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by gvol21
    I'm in the same boat here, and would love to hear about some other options. I did stumble across this post, which says that one could sign up for a free trial offer of Intuit's QuickBooks payroll service. Theoretically, you might be able to pay yourself via direct deposit with this, although I haven't looked into it in detail yet.

Luckily, in a worse case scenario.. TD Bank does offer a business checking account for $9 with free bill pay and one month of free payroll services. Being a small business owner, I'm considering opening up an account with a few hundred dollars, signing up for the trial payroll services, and making the direct deposit that way. Trying first though to see if the PayPal method works.

I just started the transfer in from my bank account my PayPal account from my another bank account.. and then am going to link my new account to that.. withdraw the funds.. and then see call SunTrust and see if that qualified.

Also.. I think I may have found a loophole for those that are interested. When I was in the branch today opening up the account, the rep told me that you are able to have a joint account with whomever you choose. Any friend, any family member, whomever.. as long as they are able to come into the branch with you. Since it's technically a new account, you're able to link any Skymiles account # that you wish to it.. but just that only one Skymiles account would get the bonus. So... if we can get this little direct deposit hurdle figured out, that means that it's a solid $75 x 30k for as many friends/people/dogs/cats/turtles as you can drag in there to have a joint account with..
    Old May 15, 2012, 5:19 pm
    Used to be 'slotownmomma'

Programs: Too many to list!
    Awesome article!

Originally Posted by pcharles
    Additional info that may be of help.

http://www.mycardblog.com/2007/11/us...irect-deposit/
    Just wanted to say well done on your article. I'm going to link to you from my site. BTW-I've always enjoyed your blog
    Old May 15, 2012, 8:21 pm

I am in MI and planning to go to GA in a few days. Can I go to a Suntrust branch and sign up for an account personally? Do I need to give a local address (so they don't close my account)?
    Old May 15, 2012, 11:53 pm

Just got the same form letter regarding account closure. Dead for me...oh well, on to the next one.
    Old May 16, 2012, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by pcharles
    Additional info that may be of help.

http://www.mycardblog.com/2007/11/us...irect-deposit/

While this link says that you can make the crediting ACH deposit via PayPal, it doesn't say how to do it.

Can we please verify that it's as simple as just withdrawing funds to the appropriate account?
    Old May 16, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: United Silver
    It did. And they also already returned my funds =\
    Thanks for the update. I am trying to figure out if I am slipping through the cracks and accepted or if I will be cancelled as well. I signed up early when this thread was started via chat. I received the signature card and ACH deposit notices via snail mail and my deposit has not been refunded yet. Fingers crossed...
    Old May 16, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: Several dozen
    Where's y'all's southern manners? You left out alligators and nutrias.

Originally Posted by junglesmacks
    So... if we can get this little direct deposit hurdle figured out, that means that it's a solid $75 x 30k for as many friends/people/dogs/cats/turtles as you can drag in there to have a joint account with..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.