Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raccah
So, not having done this card yet. With AA Exec I do spend money to get my 50K, because they do not show up till then, and then I cancel, not "paying" the AF. I was guessing that was the same here, if they give the miles before even the card arrives, why are u keeping the card? Do they claw back? Otherwise, the only real cost here for the 25K is the HP - no? Or do they claw back if you cancel or do not spend the 1K?
If your intention is to just crash and burn, this might work for a short while.

People here are milking this as an ongoing source of the most valuable miles out there. The $100 statement credit effectively offset the $75 annual fee and put $25 in your pocket, so why burn the bridge with BofA which operates on a totally different play book than Citi which would not let you repeat the card until 18 months have passed from either open or closure while this is a honey well if both sides play nice.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Happy
If your intention is to just crash and burn, this might work for a short while.

People here are milking this as an ongoing source of the most valuable miles out there. The $100 statement credit effectively offset the $75 annual fee and put $25 in your pocket, so why burn the bridge with BofA which operates on a totally different play book than Citi which would not let you repeat the card until 18 months have passed from either open or closure while this is a honey well if both sides play nice.
Thanks - that is what I wanted to know. I have no intentions of crashing or burning, I was just asking what the deal is. So, is the plan to keep a bunch of cards after the 1K spend or do people close after that and then rinse and repeat? Sorry if this was covered before.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raccah
Thanks - that is what I wanted to know. I have no intentions of crashing or burning, I was just asking what the deal is. So, is the plan to keep a bunch of cards after the 1K spend or do people close after that and then rinse and repeat? Sorry if this was covered before.
Read back the thread and you will find there are people keeping cards and there are people cancelling cards - no particular pro or con, all depending on one's own situation and preference. There is a lot of information you can get by reading.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I've got a hunch that people who are not getting Visa Signature Alaska cards don't have at least three open and reporting credit cards, each with at least $10K limits. I could be completely wrong. It might be helpful if some people could chime in who didn't get the signature card.

What was your third highest credit limit at the time?
What was your total exposure with BoA/FIA cards?
What was your overall utilization rate?
After having reduced some CLs on purpose to facilitate instant approvals with Citi and Chase, I still had around 6 open cards with $10K or more CLs. One of which was an AMEX Bus Plat. In addition to a checking account with B of A where I park a large sum of cash for emergency purposes, which haven't happened so it's been just sitting there for several years now. My overall CL Utilization is less than 1 %.

Nevertheless, 3 times in a row I have gotten instant approvals for an AS Plat. Calling Recon each time, they have no problem upping the CL to a Sig level, and filling out the paperwork to change it to a Sig. This last time I did a 2BM app, the first going directly to a Plat, but the second went pending. Recon took all of maybe 60 seconds to approve the pending one for a Sig with an $8k CL, and increase the CL on the Plat to the $5K required for a Sig.

None of this makes any sense. If Recon will almost instantly approve me for a combined $13K, why am I getting Plat approvals by the computer?

The only possible explanation I've heard is from sdsearch, who said it's because I tend to cancel B of A cards after 3 or 4 months before reapplying, rather than keeping them open and applying for more. BUT, other posters here have said they routinely do that with no problems.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
After having reduced some CLs on purpose to facilitate instant approvals with Citi and Chase, I still had around 6 open cards with $10K or more CLs. One of which was an AMEX Bus Plat. In addition to a checking account with B of A where I park a large sum of cash for emergency purposes, which haven't happened so it's been just sitting there for several years now. My overall CL Utilization is less than 1 %.

Nevertheless, 3 times in a row I have gotten instant approvals for an AS Plat. Calling Recon each time, they have no problem upping the CL to a Sig level, and filling out the paperwork to change it to a Sig. This last time I did a 2BM app, the first going directly to a Plat, but the second went pending. Recon took all of maybe 60 seconds to approve the pending one for a Sig with an $8k CL, and increase the CL on the Plat to the $5K required for a Sig.

None of this makes any sense. If Recon will almost instantly approve me for a combined $13K, why am I getting Plat approvals by the computer?

The only possible explanation I've heard is from sdsearch, who said it's because I tend to cancel B of A cards after 3 or 4 months before reapplying, rather than keeping them open and applying for more. BUT, other posters here have said they routinely do that with no problems.
Thanks for the data. Yeah, I agree that this doesn't make sense. Sounds like you're in YMMVland.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

success 2BM - one approved by system one approved by rep

2BM 90 min ago. Deferred on both. Checked status online an hour later, one was approved one was pending. Based on prior experiences and everyone else' experience, the second one would be rejected by system as duplicate. Better call on same day to avoid any possible 2nd pull (in case Rep decides to split line - the system would generate a pull without the rep even realized it, happened to my husband last November.)

Called English line, was on hold listening to music for 20 min. Hang up and called Spanish line. Still on hold listening to music but only for 5 min. Rep picked up and I asked Hablas Inglis? She replied, what can I help you? Are you calling for a card application? Yes, because I wanted 2 cards and the system obviously would reject the 2nd app as duplicate so I figured to give you guys a call.

Found out first card was approved with 15K. She said yes the system closed the 2nd app as duplicate and she reopened it. She was about to move 5K from 1st card and explained Signature required 5K minimum line. Of course I had no issue with that but then she paused and said, you have very good credit and have been our customer, we appreciate your business. I can give you an additional 5K for the 2nd card without moving anything from 1st card, would that be enough line for you? Yes yes, I really dont need big lines as long as both are Signature so I have Signature benefits while I can separate spending for better accounting. She said of course. Took all but 2 minutes for her to finalize things and even arrange for rushing the cards to me at no cost once she learned about I would travel in Mid April.

Refresh status screen, now the 2nd app also showed approved.

Background, last AS was a year ago when we used the AS debit cards aggressively before the program died in May. In Summer I applied an FIA card that was used that card heavily. For the little windows we were at home, I did other banks app because we have a large balance of AS miles from the debit cards. Now we are in waiting period on Chase cards, I turn the focus to miscellaneous cards that includes the AS card.

To prepare for the AS 2BM, I did lower a 123 card line from 13K to 3K in Jan. The 123 is a conversion from Schwab Visa when Schwab sold its card biz to BofA so it is several years old. It retains the 0% forex fee feature from Schwab card, earns the same 2x and 3x when used internationally in the bonus categories. So it is a valuable card for me, but I really dont need the original CL - for example, all gas filled up we had in a just finished trip (12 days car rental in South Africa and 7 days in Turkey) plus grocery shopping were put on 123, still only added up to only $400ish spread between 2 statement cycles. Therefore 3K is more than enough for what the 123 is for. It is used at WalMart Neighborhood Markets a lot too for very smallish purchases mostly are price match buys on produces. Pattern on 123 is frequent usage, smallish amounts. Pattern on FIA is regular usage, fairly large amount single transactions, never smallish amount (so not to confuse the computer!)

I would strongly suggest if you do not get an instant approval, CALL within hours so you can sort out things on the same day. In any case if you are doing a 2bm or more, you would need to call anyway.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:00 am

idiotic mistake

So I logged into my Alaska miles account, and used the card link from within my account. Used 2BM to apply for both, then called in to make sure 2nd got unflagged as duplicate. Realized that I used the wrong link and would not be getting the statement credit. Tried to get this matched, but the CSR said she was unable to do so. She canceled my 2nd application and informed me that I would need to reapply using the correct promotion link, and I could get that promotion for the 2nd card, but that she was unable to do anything about the 1st card. Should I call again to try to get the offer matched, or would I have better luck with a secure message? Sorry if this has been answered before. I had no luck with the search.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat

I must have been saying the wrong things as i HUACA 3 times last time on my 2bm both instant to plat and none would budge to move up to Sig for Sig offer. They did offer to move up the CL but required another pull and still Plat bonus...
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
I must have been saying the wrong things as i HUACA 3 times last time on my 2bm both instant to plat and none would budge to move up to Sig for Sig offer. They did offer to move up the CL but required another pull and still Plat bonus...
This last time it did take 3 calls to get someone who knew how, or was willing, to do the paperwork for me. Next time you apply, bear in mind that no matter how many apps you do for this exact card the same day, you will only get a total of ONE HP. So instead of the 2BM, just do an app, and do another app, etc, until one goes to pending. Then call Recon, and try to talk them into approving you for a Sig, and let them just cancel any apps that got approved for a Plat.

It's true that Recon can't just "upgrade" a Plat to a Sig, and maybe they are willing to help me with the petition route due to my 5 figure Savings account, which makes me some sort of VIP with B of A. It's much easier to approve a pending app, which has been set aside as a duplicate, for Sig status, then it is to process the conversion from Plat to Sig. So I think the apply and apply again until you get a pending result is the best way for you to go. Good Luck !
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
This last time it did take 3 calls to get someone who knew how, or was willing, to do the paperwork for me. Next time you apply, bear in mind that no matter how many apps you do for this exact card the same day, you will only get a total of ONE HP. So instead of the 2BM, just do an app, and do another app, etc, until one goes to pending. Then call Recon, and try to talk them into approving you for a Sig, and let them just cancel any apps that got approved for a Plat.

It's true that Recon can't just "upgrade" a Plat to a Sig, and maybe they are willing to help me with the petition route due to my 5 figure Savings account, which makes me some sort of VIP with B of A. It's much easier to approve a pending app, which has been set aside as a duplicate, for Sig status, then it is to process the conversion from Plat to Sig. So I think the apply and apply again until you get a pending result is the best way for you to go. Good Luck !
Thanks, I am definitely freezing EX (as I forgot to last time) so that it goes to pending and have them pull EQ. Based on my discussions with them, it wouldn't be easier to force a sig approval while it's pending as they would just submit it and computer does the work, but I hope you're right. I will report back in a couple of months.

As for the merged pulls, I can also confirm my 3 pulls did merge into one last time.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by turpintine
So I logged into my Alaska miles account, and used the card link from within my account. Used 2BM to apply for both, then called in to make sure 2nd got unflagged as duplicate. Realized that I used the wrong link and would not be getting the statement credit. Tried to get this matched, but the CSR said she was unable to do so. She canceled my 2nd application and informed me that I would need to reapply using the correct promotion link, and I could get that promotion for the 2nd card, but that she was unable to do anything about the 1st card. Should I call again to try to get the offer matched, or would I have better luck with a secure message? Sorry if this has been answered before. I had no luck with the search.
Just an update to my applications today. I did re-do the second application with the correct link, and it went to pending again. Called into the recon line to ask about the second application, explaining that it was not a mistake duplicate and that I did want two cards. He asked why, and I explained that I like to keep some spending separate, so I did in fact want two cards. He was able to split the credit from my first approval in two, and approved me for the second card. Pretty painless. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to try to get a match on that $100 statement credit.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:53 am

I just did a 2BM app. Already have one card. The first was approved with a 12K line. The second went pending. I realized afterwards that I probably shouldn't have done it on Sunday. A couple of questions:

1. Are hard pulls over the weekend "counted" on Monday?

2. Is the best way to avoid a double hard pull to ask the agent to approve the second card without splitting the credit line of the first?

I am overseas and made the mistake of not considering business hours for recon call.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by savedbyhim01
I just did a 2BM app. Already have one card. The first was approved with a 12K line. The second went pending. I realized afterwards that I probably shouldn't have done it on Sunday. A couple of questions:

2. Is the best way to avoid a double hard pull to ask the agent to approve the second card without splitting the credit line of the first?

I am overseas and made the mistake of not considering business hours for recon call.
AFAIK, the HPs happen in real time, as the computer doesn't take the weekend off, and if you meet it's criteria it approves you instantly without human interaction. When you call Recon, they don't need to do another HP, they have a record of the one that was done the day before.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:26 am

Yeah should have waited till Monday. It will be counted on Sunday. They probably wont agree to approve the card without pushing the application through regardless of whether or not you are granted any credit, it is worth a a shot though. Otherwise you're left with either tossing the application or sucking up another hit.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
I just did a 2BM app.
Are people doing 2BM simply to get 1 biz + 1 personal? Or is the idea to get 2 personal on same day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.