Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishll
New to Alaska miles and just read a few articles from a few years ago with the 50k bonus. Does anyone have info on this ever happening again?
Your crystal ball is just as good as others'.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by fishll
New to Alaska miles and just read a few articles from a few years ago with the 50k bonus. Does anyone have info on this ever happening again?
That happened just last December. This card rarely has any decent bonuses though so I wouldn't wait just for that.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
What is the most times you can churn this card before the bank gets mad? I know someone who has churned it 5 times, but has anyone done it 10-20 times?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
What is the most times you can churn this card before the bank gets mad? I know someone who has churned it 5 times, but has anyone done it 10-20 times?
May be you can be the pioneer and come back to tell us?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I have no idea about this bank, BofA (and that's what matters here), but the other bank that is known for "frequent" churning, Citi, hasn't cared if people got a Citi AA card 10-20 times over the years, or got the no-fee HHonors Visa 10-20 times over the years.

Howver, Citi has always had a limit of no more than 2 applications in any 65 day period, so there's a theoretical limit of about 10 to 12 applications per year. So getting to 20 at Citi would require at least about 2 years. (I don't know what the timing limts are at BofA.)

(Please note: While the no-fee HHonors Visa remains churnable at this frequency, the Citi AA cards can no longer be churned that fast. But there were times when they were, and back then Citi didn't care how many of them you got.)

But: Citi has for many many years had some sort of minimum spend requirement for getting the bonus each time. BofA doesn't (usually). So because of that alone, BofA might look at it a bit differently than Citi did.

And getting back to "over the years", yes, it might make a difference as to how quickly you get to 10-20, rather than just whether you get to that many.

Furthermore, it might make a diffeernce how much spend you put on each card. (Especially with offers that don't require any minimum spend, a $3 purchase to get the bonus every single time is probably more likely to make the bank "mad" than you using the card to some more "reasonable" degree for a while.)
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:10 pm

Just a data point. Applied for 25k personal card. Got approved for platinum with 5k bonus and 1k cl instead. Found out approximately 2 weeks later. Called recon in wiki and complained, was told to apply again. No hp since I was within 30 days.

App went to pending, called in and got them to approve me for signature with >$5k limit and 25k bonus miles.

Edit: They did a 2nd HP. Both agents I spoke with claimed they did not know a 2nd HP would be done, but after reviewing the rules, they were incorrect by telling me there would not be a 2nd HP. They are working with Experian to remove the 2nd HP. This may be a 1-time case.

Would advise people to follow up immediately on future applications to get a review before your card is finalized as a plat or signature.

Last edited by hitman1420; Aug 28, 2014 at 6:52 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hitman1420
Just a data point. Applied for 25k personal card. Got approved for platinum with 5k bonus and 1k cl instead. Found out approximately 2 weeks later. Called recon in wiki and complained, was told to apply again. No hp since I was within 30 days.

App went to pending, called in and got them to approve me for signature with >$5k limit and 25k bonus miles.
So are you getting one card with 25k bonus miles or are you getting two cards for a total of 30k bonus miles? (You didn't explain what happened to the first card, ie, did you ask for it to be closed, or you kept it, or what?)
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
So are you getting one card with 25k bonus miles or are you getting two cards for a total of 30k bonus miles? (You didn't explain what happened to the first card, ie, did you ask for it to be closed, or you kept it, or what?)
I asked for the first card to be closed. I didn't want to pay $50 for 5k miles. Unfortunately, now I have to have BOA open up a case since they did a HP
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: VS Gold
How often do AS run 50K bonus miles on cc signups?

I heard there was a 50K bonus a while ago. I'm waiting for another one. Will I be in for a long wait?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by maxmin
I heard there was a 50K bonus a while ago. I'm waiting for another one. Will I be in for a long wait?
see post #856
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by maxmin
Probably.

The standard bonus has historically been 20-25K.
Once or twice a year, they bump it to 30K temporarily.
Over the past 5 years (approximate time I've watched), I only recall seeing one 50K bonus (public offer), from around the end of last year. Personally, I don't expect to see that 50K offer again for a long, long time, if ever.

Of course, nobody can predict the future with any certainty. Personally, I would not hold my breath waiting for 50K again.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Probably.

The standard bonus has historically been 20-25K.
Once or twice a year, they bump it to 30K temporarily.
Over the past 5 years (approximate time I've watched), I only recall seeing one 50K bonus (public offer), from around the end of last year. Personally, I don't expect to see that 50K offer again for a long, long time, if ever.

Of course, nobody can predict the future with any certainty. Personally, I would not hold my breath waiting for 50K again.
Furthermore, the 50k offer this past winter was available for only a very short time. If you took a few days to decide whether you wanted to apply for it or figuring out when you should apply for it, that was too long, it was gone already.

So you have to always be at the ready to jump on such an offer if you see it, or else it's not even particularly worth looking for it, based on this history.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Did dualbrowser trick yesterday as a part of a mini AoR (also grabbed Citi Hilton Reserve and Chase Fairmont). Was denied immediately for both cards - not surprising considering I must have at least 10 inquiries in the past 6 months, thanks to the 100k AA deal that I got 6 of, plus a few other cards.

Anyway, I called in, explained my situation (applied for many new cards since I got a new job that will require more travel and want to get cards to get benefits for all my travel partners), and was approved for $5k for one card. When I mentioned the second card, she said sure, no problem, and split the CL among the 2 cards.

FWIW, I have a banking relationship with BoA, but less than $20,000 is in my account.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Did dualbrowser trick yesterday as a part of a mini AoR...
There is no "dual browser trick." That died 2 years ago.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Did dualbrowser trick yesterday as a part of a mini AoR (also grabbed Citi Hilton Reserve and Chase Fairmont). Was denied immediately for both cards - not surprising considering I must have at least 10 inquiries in the past 6 months, thanks to the 100k AA deal that I got 6 of, plus a few other cards.

Anyway, I called in, explained my situation (applied for many new cards since I got a new job that will require more travel and want to get cards to get benefits for all my travel partners), and was approved for $5k for one card. When I mentioned the second card, she said sure, no problem, and split the CL among the 2 cards.

FWIW, I have a banking relationship with BoA, but less than $20,000 is in my account.
You may have just shot yourself in the foot. There are 3 versions of this card https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCa...ry?sc=VAB6CK#b but only the Signature card awards 25K miles, IIRC. The Signature Visa usually has a minimum CL of $5K. Check the cards carefully before you charge anything on them. YMMV of course.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.