Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Bump
There is no pattern. It took about one month for me.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:25 pm
jk2

I got 2 AS cards in May (actually, I applied for one but somehow a CSR "duplicated" it during recon call). Anyway, 2 cards were approved, but PlatPlus. After another recon, those cards will be converted to Signature in July. I got 2x5K points and month later, 2x$100 st. credit. I wonder will other points (2x20K) appear automatically or should I call BoA?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Can you lower a signature card to 2K?
Maybe some have been successful in doing so, but twice agents have told me that they cannot lower the credit limit on Alaska Signature cards to below $5,000 per card.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And you wouldn't have to. From the T&Cs:
Annual Fee
$75 for Visa Signature accounts,
$50 for Platinum Plus accounts, or
$35 for Classic accounts.
Now, of course, the question is whether you would even want to pay $50 for 5k miles?
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Given that one can buy 5k miles from Alaska for $137.50, you would be valuing a HP at $87.50 in this particular case. Pretty terrible.
You still get the $100 statement credit plus $50 voucher so.. not a complete loss
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Haven’t seen this posted before, my apologies if it’s old.
FWIW:
(re Bank of America)
July 9, 2015 by FrequentMiler

recently been a change to their approval process. She said that they can’t approve a person who has submitted too many applications within the past 90 days. I asked her whether the number of applications were the issue or the number of new accounts, but she said that she couldn’t divulge that much information.
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...necker-island/
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:59 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I asked her whether the number of applications were the issue or the number of new accounts
Applications.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:49 pm

How long does it usually take for miles earned from spend (not sign-up bonus) to post after statement closes? My statement closed on 7/7 and no miles from that spend posted. Normally I wouldn't think much of it, but I recently consolidated 2 AS accounts into 1 (long story, the AS rep insisted) so I'm worried there might be some issue with points being awarded.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
How long does it usually take for miles earned from spend (not sign-up bonus) to post after statement closes? My statement closed on 7/7 and no miles from that spend posted. Normally I wouldn't think much of it, but I recently consolidated 2 AS accounts into 1 (long story, the AS rep insisted) so I'm worried there might be some issue with points being awarded.
No telling - can be a week or longer. AS processes posting in batches, unlike other airlines that they post miles within 2 days when received from the banks. Someone said AS has an nontraditional arrangement with BofA such that it funds the miles versus BofA, hence the posting is in batches.

Not related to card, but to the partner credit - same amount of partner credit can be rejected by AS even the partner has sent it. We had one such incident. There were 2x 1000 miles credits from Avis. The first one posted but the second one belong to another rental in another country never posted. Avis insisted it has sent it, gave me all the details of the amount and date of loading to the system (meaning sent to AS). I sent emails to AS MP and Customer Service. MP asked me to provide Avis contract (which had the AS number on it), that it would take it up with Avis. I never heard back from MP. However the Customer Service replied that they posted 1000 to the account as a customer service adjustment. I suspect AS had rejected the 2nd 1000 from Avis and then realized it had made a mistake. Then they just posted it back as a customer service item. This helps to support the explanation that AS does not post partner credits in a traditional way.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 10, 2015 at 9:00 pm
Old Jul 11, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver, BA, AA, FlyingBlue, IberiaPlus,Wyndham Rewards
New churn rules for AS card and who brought them about

It appears well-settled that the boa AS card now has new churn rules. As of now, the only (but very significant) change of which I am aware is boa won't approve existing AS card holders for another card of the same type (biz/personal). This is acknowledged by million mile secrets.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2015/0...-up-bonuses-2/

The interesting thing here is that this blog in addition to others, in my opinion, had a major hand in bringing this change about by virtue of 1) obtaining 5 AS personal cards in one day and 2) bragging about it in a blog post on his site. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I am of the opinion that he and those of similar ilk acted with the intent to force BOA to tighten their rules on the AS card. Let's look at what we know:

1. AS miles are among the most valuable in the game. They have great partners, to include Emirates, American, and Cathay Pacific.
2. AS miles have heretofore been easy to obtain via the AS card. Being able to obtain a couple cards every 90 days would bring a minimum 50k quarterly- enough to satiate the needs of many travellers without assistance from any other cards.
3. The AS card is among the last of a dying breed of cards which gives miles upon approval- i.e. no minimum spend.
4. The final nail in the coffin- the AS card does not yield any referral money to bloggers.

By making the AS card lower-yielding, in this case by restricting the number which can be obtained, it brings other cards, which happen to provide referral cash, into consideration for many (whom otherwise may not be interested). I realize there exists some disconnect at the point that people don't have to apply through affiliate links. However, I suspect many people are like me, in that if I read a certain blog post which makes me aware of a good deal or has done so in the past, all else equal, I'll use the blog's link. Hence, I think it reasonable to believe that the net effect of a "competing" card's potential benefit being reduced would be comparably higher usage of affiliate links.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:50 am

not buying it, yet

I'd prefer to see some additional confirmation other than Bowtie Boy that current card holders can't receive a second card (even if they wait 90 days).

I haven't seen anywhere else where he stol-- I mean borrowed-- it, and his readers aren't the brightest bulbs (many false assumptions they report based on their limited churn experience in the comments generally).

He could be confusing some recent reports that you have to wait 90 days with assuming that means you can't have a current card.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wlp07
As of now, the only (but very significant) change of which I am aware is boa won't approve existing AS card holders for another card of the same type (biz/personal). This is acknowledged by million mile secrets.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2015/0...-up-bonuses-2/
Huh? A one-sentence statement:
"Note: You can no longer have more than 1 of the same Bank of America Alaska Airlines card at once."
on a blog, with a link that leads only to the app page for the credit card (not to further evidence to support that statement) is proof of a rule change???
Old Jul 11, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Huh? A one-sentence statement:
"Note: You can no longer have more than 1 of the same Bank of America Alaska Airlines card at once."
on a blog, with a link that leads only to the app page for the credit card (not to further evidence to support that statement) is proof of a rule change???
I was just on an Alaska flight yesterday where the fa was specifically trying to get customers to open a second card. He went on and on about the benefits of having two companion fares. He said he had a "special" application for a second card but it was really the regular one.

I am very skeptical that they are limiting to one card per customer.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver, BA, AA, FlyingBlue, IberiaPlus,Wyndham Rewards
I guess only time will tell. However, a source with wide readership (be it neophytes or otherwise) which recently touted the ability to obtain multiple cards at once would have an interest in advising his followers of such a change. I would be inclined to trust his knowledge of BOA approvals process over an AS f/a. I would love to be wrong, but a tightening of policy certainly would appear to be the natural consequence of the actions taken by many (even more so when there's a $100 statement credit also involved).
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:41 pm

As of June 25th, BoA approved a second AS card, the first one was applied for 6 months ago.

So unless things changed in the last 3 weeks, MMS is not making any sense.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
As of June 25th, BoA approved a second AS card, the first one was applied for 6 months ago.

So unless things changed in the last 3 weeks, MMS is not making any sense.
Yeah, makes sense that they would tighten up after he writes about how he got 5 cards in one day (serving no purpose other than to ruin a good thing).

That being said, he probably just added that language because he now has an affiliate link with them.

I just closed 2 AS accounts that I opened 90 days ago and will be attempting to get 2 more later this week. I'll report back on results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.