Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire VS Chase Ink Bold/Plus: Which one to keep/use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Sapphire VS Chase Ink Bold/Plus: Which one to keep/use?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
I was at a Staples store last night and got some Shell GC. That should work for 5x right? If that works then they have I can buy many types of GC.
Yes, this is why I think Ink or Ink bold are much better cards to get than Freedom, because Freedom only gives you 5x in rotating categories and you are limited to $1.5K in purchases every quarter ($6K/year). The 5x on Ink is good up to $25K/year and Ink Bold up to $50K/year, so you can do better with Ink or Ink Bold buying GCs in more categories and higher amounts than you can earn 5x with Freedom.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: spg gold
Let me ask this; If I go to Staples.com I get 5x for office supplies and 4x for UR mall, so do I get 9x for an Outback gc?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:23 pm

Suggest reading this most excellent blog article (and consider supporting the laboratory the next time you apply for a card). Good stuff and should give you a pretty good idea re. your question about buying GCs at Staples.com thru the UR mall:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/laboratory/
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
Let me ask this; If I go to Staples.com I get 5x for office supplies and 4x for UR mall, so do I get 9x for an Outback gc?
Yes. Get on it while it lasts.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:08 pm

Well, in my first post I mentioned dining when I was thinking travel, that by itself is no reason to think that I did not have the card.

The other thing re the Staples gift card was below and yes, you only get 9x on SWA gift cards, not 13x if you go through a gift card (which you can't use).

Dont know the first switch of dining for travel would cause a rational person to think I did not have the card.

Originally Posted by pcharles
Because you sound like you dont know much as you would if you actually had these cards...

Incorrect, Ink bold gives you 2X on gas and hotels, not dining.

It is in the welcome pack as well. But at least you found additional details on it online.

Incorrect, as you cannot use Staples gift cards online.

Sage advice my friend....

Sorry you got a little frustrated leftpinky, but I'm just saying, you didnt sound all that sure about these details.

To the OP, both offer some very nice sign up bonuses, transfer partners, and earning potential. If you are comfortable with signing up for both, you have a year before you need to decide to renew. Might be worth going for both as a lot of people have.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by emax48
Yes. Get on it while it lasts.
Hopefully it will be around. Seems like it will last as long as Staples carries giftcards (or allows them to be purchased online). Main worry is the put a clause in there not allowing online GC purchases.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by pcharles
Originally Posted by leftpinky
Yeah, if you use Staples a lot and the other high bonus UR mall stores, Ink is probably better. But other than the Mall, it does not appear there is a big difference since Ink Bold does get you 2x on dinning and gas? But realistically, between spending the new threshold bonuses, is anyone really able to put a significant spend on these cards?
Do you have either card??? I'm thinking not.

So, to the OP, why not both?
I don't know you had be a bit snippy? You could have just politely pointed out any errors or omissions about the Ink that leftpinky may have made. With so many cards and rules and promotions, it can be hard to keep track of minor details.

Last edited by Ducati; Mar 9, 2012 at 1:12 am Reason: Grammar
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Ducati
I don't know you had be a bit snippy? You could have just politely pointed out any errors or omissions about the Ink that leftpinky may have made. With so many cards and rules and promotions, it can be hard to keep track with minor details.
It is very hard to keep everything seperate. Thanks Ducati :P

Btw, does anyone know if you get bonus points for insurance? Just charged a quarterly payment to meet the spend and it shows up as insurance, so wondering if we would get a multiple bonus. Would switch car and house payments over to this card too.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Got me thinking

I hadn't really considered the Ink Bold, but now I am. I will miss out on the US bonus stuff, but the 50,000 UR looks good, especially as it can fit with my Sapphire.

I have a $20,000 tuition bill coming up in a couple months. The question is whether I can spread that spend over a few new cards. They need to be FX free though, as this is not a USD spend.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
I hadn't really considered the Ink Bold, but now I am. I will miss out on the US bonus stuff, but the 50,000 UR looks good, especially as it can fit with my Sapphire.

I have a $20,000 tuition bill coming up in a couple months. The question is whether I can spread that spend over a few new cards. They need to be FX free though, as this is not a USD spend.
No FX fee for Ink Bold and Sapphire.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:17 am

Post 20 says you can't use Staples GCs online. Post 21 says you can't purchase Staples GCs online. I wanted to buy 6 $100 SWA GCs to pay for some upcoming flights. But now will I not only not be able to purchase them online, but also not be able to use them online?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner
Post 20 says you can't use Staples GCs online. Post 21 says you can't purchase Staples GCs online. I wanted to buy 6 $100 SWA GCs to pay for some upcoming flights. But now will I not only not be able to purchase them online, but also not be able to use them online?
If you have an Ink Bold (or Ink Classic) AND a Sapphire card, here's what you do:

1) Go to the Ultimate Rewards Mall and log in through your Sapphire card
2) Click on "Staples" and you will earn 4 extra points per dollar
3) Buy 6 x $100 Southwest gift cards on Staples.com but USE your Ink Bold/Classic so you get the 5x points on Office Supply purchases

You will then earn a total of 5400 UR pts for this purchase! (+7% dividend at the end of the year since you went through the mall via your Sapphire card)

You can purchase the gift cards online, but you can't *use* Staples gift cards online.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by blase
If you have an Ink Bold (or Ink Classic) AND a Sapphire card, here's what you do:

1) Go to the Ultimate Rewards Mall and log in through your Sapphire card
2) Click on "Staples" and you will earn 4 extra points per dollar
3) Buy 6 x $100 Southwest gift cards on Staples.com but USE your Ink Bold/Classic so you get the 5x points on Office Supply purchases

You will then earn a total of 5400 UR pts for this purchase! (+7% dividend at the end of the year since you went through the mall via your Sapphire card)

You can purchase the gift cards online, but you can't *use* Staples gift cards online.
Did not know you get 7% bonus even when using the UR Shappire Mall without using your CS card. thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:22 am

So you can't use Staples GCs online, but I can use Southwest Airlines GCs purchased through Staples online when buying my flight, right?

My wife's got the SP and I've got the Ink. Would that mess up the plan? Or should I just do it all through my Ink card and forget the 7% SP bonus?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:07 pm

You have to buy with your Ink Bold because the Ink Bold gives you 5x miles on spending at Staples. But you can buy using the Shappire mall (login into chase, click on mall under your Shappire card.

So you get 5x bonus for using Ink Bold
You get 4x for going through the mall (plus 7% for Shappire yearly bonus).

Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner
So you can't use Staples GCs online, but I can use Southwest Airlines GCs purchased through Staples online when buying my flight, right?

My wife's got the SP and I've got the Ink. Would that mess up the plan? Or should I just do it all through my Ink card and forget the 7% SP bonus?

Last edited by leftpinky; Mar 9, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.