Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

What card could I apply, approved & use in same day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Hello, family of 5 doing summer vacation but only 4 award seats on flight. Need to buy $2K r/t tix.
Ticket being held until midnight 2/27. What card could I apply & get the card # same day so I can call American Airlines & book tix on 2/26?

I'm thinking AmEx Gold as they have 25K points after spening $2K & they have great customer service.
However Chase Sapphire with 50K in Ultimate Awards after $3K spending seems good too.

Biggest issue is ability to get the credit card # tomorrow.
Is it possible & with which underwriter?

Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
I don't think you will have any luck...points usually won't post until after your statement closes after you meet the min spend.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hofu
Hello, family of 5 doing summer vacation but only 4 award seats on flight. Need to buy $2K r/t tix.
Ticket being held until midnight 2/27. What card could I apply & get the card # same day so I can call American Airlines & book tix on 2/26?

I'm thinking AmEx Gold as they have 25K points after spening $2K & they have great customer service.
However Chase Sapphire with 50K in Ultimate Awards after $3K spending seems good too.

Biggest issue is ability to get the credit card # tomorrow.
Is it possible & with which underwriter?

Thanks everyone!
Never heard of anything like that. You could ask the agent after having been approved, though. Quite a challenge. Even aside of the fact that you can't transfer either MR or UR points to American.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
I think the OP is just wanting to put the travel expenses on a card that will give in 2x or 3x the points.

I would call Chase or AMEX and see what their policy is regarding this. You're probably going to have to wait until Tuesday, if they overnight it tomorrow. Is there any chance you could risk an extra day of your seats being available?

EDIT: I vaguely remember the banner ads on aa.com saying you can get $100 off your ticket if you apply and are approved. You might be able to pay using that card as well, worth a shot.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sweetz_21_83
I don't think you will have any luck...points usually won't post until after your statement closes after you meet the min spend.
I'm looking to get approved & use the card the same day, not get the points the same day. Getting the points credited will take a billing cycle.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not likely

Even if approved, few CC issuers give first time applicants a card overnight. Lots of anti-fraud process to go through on the first card and that can take time.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longhorn11
I think the OP is just wanting to put the travel expenses on a card that will give in 2x or 3x the points.

I would call Chase or AMEX and see what their policy is regarding this. You're probably going to have to wait until Tuesday, if they overnight it tomorrow. Is there any chance you could risk an extra day of your seats being available?
Yes, that's a possibility of getting approved & requesting an overnight & at the same time asking to have the reservation held until TUE midnight.

Who would be best to overnight? I'm thinking AmEx but no experience...25K in quick MR points is worthwhile...
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Either Chase or AMEX can overnight, but I would apply tonight/early tomorrow and call tomorrow morning.

Chase in my experience has been a hit or miss on being able to overnight the card. As far as AMEX I have applied on a Sunday and had the card on Tuesday, in my case I didn't even have to call. I just got an email 5 min after I applied saying it will be here in 2 days.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, UA Silver; 800K+ points 2012
In case you haven't booked yet.. the Amex HHonors offers provide you an 'Instant Account' page once you're approved. It provides you with your credit card #, expiration date, & CVV code.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by longhorn11

EDIT: I vaguely remember the banner ads on aa.com saying you can get $100 off your ticket if you apply and are approved. You might be able to pay using that card as well, worth a shot.
Sorry, totally misread it.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
When I signed up for my Continental OnePass Plus, the card was automatically loaded into my profile upon (immediate) approval. Not sure if it would have worked, though, as I had not activated the card yet. Worth a call to CS to inquire.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:18 pm

You can do it with Starwood amex- when I applied it offered to provide the account number immediately so you can use it online right away. Not sure about other amex cards, but this was in November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.