Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Best Keeper: Sapphire Preferred +SPG or Sapph+Amex Plat?

Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, DL, WN, Marriott, Hilton, Radisson

Hi, I am a low-level churner and a fairly low level traveler. I travel for work about once a month regionally and travel personally 6-8 times per year. I currently have an SPG and a recently obtained Sapphire Preferred, so next year I will have about $200 in annual fees on those cards.

I'm wondering if it would make sense next year to downgrade the Sapphire, cancel SPG and get the Amex Plat (primarily using the Amex Plat, with Sapphire for backup). I don't carry a balance, so that's not a problem. I think I could easily use the $200 in airline incidentals offered by the Plat, so that gets me close to the $200 I will be paying anyway. And while I can usually live without the club access, I would have a few opportunities each year to use it. I am not allowed to use my own personal cards for business travel, though, so that limits my points earnings and access to some amenities. But, I usually have about $1000 a month in charges that are repaid.

So, with these factors in mind, is there anything about the Platinum Card that I should know that could influence my decision? Is there anything particularily better or worse about their points earnings and redemptions as compared to Ultimate Rewards or SPG?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:11 am
Formerly known as gwhit21

Programs: All of them.
I prefer earning points in Chase's Ultimate Rewards. I really enjoy the 2x points the Sapphire gives me on all meals/drinks. I have decided to probably keep the Sapphire and pay the annual fee.

Have you thought about instead of canceling your cards trying to downgrade to a no fee card or getting a retention bonus?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Well looking at your programs, UA, DL, and WN - Ultimate Rewards transfers to both UA and WN, amex mr does not.

Honestly if you can just get 6,000 points on the Sapphire Preferred and transfer those to WN, your annual fee is paid for (6k points = $100 airfare).

If you use the AMEX Plat as your everyday card, the points really won't add up to as much as the CSP.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 2:34 pm

Have you considered the PRG Amex? It doesn't offer the lounge access and other "extras" but it complements the Sapphire pretty well as it transfers to different partners and earns bonus points on different categories (2X on Gas and Groceries / 3X on airfare)

Personally, I think you could carry the PRG Amex, the SPG Amex, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred for less than the cost of the Platinum - and still earn points for use in the same programs. In fact, you would earn more MR points with the PRG than you would with the platinum.

That's pretty much what I do - Chase Sapphire for dining. PRG Amex for Gas / Groceries. SPG Amex for any "other" spending.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Palaimo
Have you considered the PRG Amex? It doesn't offer the lounge access and other "extras" but it complements the Sapphire pretty well as it transfers to different partners and earns bonus points on different categories (2X on Gas and Groceries / 3X on airfare)

That's pretty much what I do - Chase Sapphire for dining. PRG Amex for Gas / Groceries. SPG Amex for any "other" spending.
Good point about the PRG.

That's exactly what I do, except I'd like to add the SPG later this year when hopefully the 30k offer comes back.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, DL, WN, Marriott, Hilton, Radisson
Thanks everyone, I will check out the PRG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.