Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Posts from 1/1/16 onward can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1739359-2016-onward-usa-emv-cards-availability-q-chip-pin-signature.html

EMV wikipost volunteers: kebosabi

What is EMV?
EMV is a defacto global standard of technology where there is a visible microchip on the front of the card. It looks like this:

Who issues them?
See Google Docs spreadsheet in Post #1

SFOAMS also has created a list of excellent webpage that shows US EMV cards in a more interactive interface

Another site, which lets you narrow the search for an EMV card by various parameters, is http://www.spotterswiki.com/emv/index.php.

Several credit unions issue some form of Chip-and-PIN credit cards or prepaid cards. Prepaid EMV cards however are not recommended due to junk fees. USAA (currently restricted to members of military) used to offer Chip-and-PIN cards, but as late has backtracked to Chip-and-Signature priority.

Hey that's a cool Google Docs list! I know others that aren't on that list. How can I help by adding them to the list?
My bad for not putting this into the wiki sooner. Right now, the Google Docs is locked out of editing and only in "read-only" view because there were instances in the past where people would just delete the rows not thinking that it affects others viewing the list.

If you promise not to delete any rows and input all the pertinent info (annual fee, rewards, FTF, etc.), I can provide you with edit access. Just shoot me a PM to kebosabi with your gmail address and I'll provide you edit access.

Thanks for helping out!

As of October 2014, no USA-based card issuer offers Chip-and-PIN priority cards except for BMO Harris (Diners Club) and UN Federal Credit Union. Other major USA-based banks such as BofA, Chase, Citi, as well as others issue Chip-and-Signature cards which may work at many automated kiosks. However, bear in mind the word may is used above is a context where there is no absolute certainty of success for certain environments such as automated kiosks due to different natures of offline and online transactions. It is highly recommended to read Post #3 which lists real life FTer examples on how Chip-and-Signature worked and did not work at various transaction environments.

Can I upgrade it right now?
If it's listed on that Google Docs spreadsheet or SFOAMS' Silk page, wouldn't hurt to call/twitter them for a free upgrade. If you get the response you don't like, hang up, try again.

What is the difference between Chip-and-Signature and Chip-and-PIN?
You insert the chipped card into the slot. The physical contact terminal will read the EMV chip and the terminal will automatically read the preferred cardholder verification methods (called CVM) for that card.

Chip-and-Signature means that the terminal will printout a receipt for you to sign. This is the most prevalent authentication for most US issued EMV cards. Chip-and-Signature helps in a way that it will get through to face-to-face merchant transactions where you and the merchant do not speak the same language.

Chip-and-PIN means that the terminal will prompt you to input a PIN for authentication. Some credit union issued credit cards will have this CVM as secondary if Chip-and-Signature cannot be done. Chip-and-PIN is the more prevalent method of authentication used outside the US, especially in transaction environments where no human interaction is needed (i.e. automated gas pumps, toll roads, train kiosks, etc.).

The Google Docs spreadsheet will list which CVM are used in the EMV cards listed. Some cards can only do Chip-and-Signature. Other cards can do both Chip-and-Signature and Chip-and-PIN. And others might have a third option called No CVM (no authentication needed) which is reserved for low value transactions.

One chip can hold a lot more data, therefore it is capable of doing multiple verification methods. That's one of the great things about EMV over the mag-stripe which can hold very little data.

I want to know for sure what my EMV chip does. Is there anyway I can test out my own EMV card to see what the CVM list is?
alexmt has written up a nice step-by-step procedure on Post #3615.

If most of the EMV cards in the US is the Chip-and-Signature type, doesn't that mean it's still useless abroad?
Depends if you see it as glass half empty or glass half full. See Post #3 for further details on how Chip-and-Signature has worked both successfully and unsuccessfully depending on the merchant transaction environment and use your best judgment whether which one is right for you.

Are there any places in the US that are accepting transactions via the EMV chip?
tmiw has created a dedicated Google maps webpage to show where EMV has been proven to work here: http://emvacceptedhere.com/ Per his Post #4240, feel free to add any places with active EMV terminals if you come across one.

As of 2014/05, the EMV terminals in most Walmarts and Sam's Clubs are being turned on. Hence, the best place to try them out would be your local Walmart or Sam's Club. For other merchants, it's slowly being phased in.

I hope people will post them in the Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US thread. cvarming has shown us an EMV transaction receipt from Brooklyn, NY in Post #2380. I myself had my first EMV based (Chip-and-Signature) transaction in two stores in the Los Angeles area, as shown in detail in Post #2705 (courtesy of WhatWhatTech for pointing these two stores out)

I don't want a chip in my card. I heard horror stories all over the media saying hackers can steal my credit card info from a mile away.
There are two types of chips. One is contactless and the other is contact. Cards can be either one or the other, or both.

In the Google Docs spreadsheet, the cards that are capable of contactless payments are listed seperately under the "RFID or NFC contactless chip" column. If it says yes, then that means it has the ability to do contactless payments. If it says no, it doesn't have that feature.

The one that the media has overhyped about hackers "stealing your information wirelessly" was the contactless type like this:

You are worried about this happening, right?

You don't have to worry. EMV is a chip standard that can have both contact and contactless interfaces. With the traditional contact interface, this means you actually have to physically insert the chip into a POS terminal for it to be authorized, like this:

With the contact interface, nothing is wireless. No data is sent out in a stand-alone contact type EMV chip. With the EMV contactless interface, data is sent wirelessly.

Furthermore, contactless chip cards are required to show a symbol (looks like Wi-Fi symbol) somewhere on the card that to denote it's capability as a contactless card. For example, here's an example of a Discover Card with contactless capability (in which Discover calls "Discover ZIP") showing the contactless symbol on the back of the card:

Don't believe everything that the media says. Besides, millions of people all over the world from London to Singapore, uses contactless payments daily in extremely crowded subways and mass transit with nary any problems. There are multiple layers of encrypted securities and keys that are needed to break the code.

Frankly, giving your physical card to a waiter/waitress who takes the card out of your view is much more susceptible to fraud than contactless payments.

Why should I care?
If you are an international traveler, you will want this because majority of the world has or in the process of converting to this payment format.

In fact, in 2012, even North Korea moved to the EMV format, leaving the US as one of the countries in the world that hasn't done so.

In addition, VISA, MC, AMEX, and Discover have all agreed to incentivize the USA shifting to EMV payments by 2015 by shifting liability for fraudulent transactions to merchants if they do not have EMV equipment and the cardholder has an EMV card. So if you travel internationally or would like to get one before the others, you might be interested in getting one.

BS! I had no problems using my card in [insert whereever country], [insert whatever point in time]
If you stick to the tourist path where they have lots of visitors from the US, you should have no problems using your mag-stripe only card in hotels and restaurants, at least for now. But as things can change as things go forward.

However, consider that once you start taking the off-beaten path, go to non-touristy places where they are not familiar with mag-stripes, rent a car and use toll roads, fill up gas, or try to buy train tickets you might end up into a trouble of the machine not recognizing your card because it lacks the chip. Furthermore, a lot of toll roads, gas pumps, and automated ticket machines lack any human assistance to help you when you need it the most.

But [insert credit card company] told me all merchants that display their logo must accept them! All I have to do is report them for violating their agreements, right?
There are several factors against this.

1. You can only speak English. The merchant representative, most likely a part-time clerk earning minimum wage, speaks in a different language, let's say French. If you have no French language skills, how are you going to get your point across? Are you going to whip out your cell phone at exorbitant int'l roaming charges and hope the customer service is going to translate it for you on the spot? Or maybe you might actually know French. But how about Swahili, Farsi, Balinese, or the multiple languages in mainland China?

2. Just like US, the rest of the world's businesses uses part-time minimum wage workers as cashiers to cut down on labor costs. Most of their SOP training manuals are written by MBA types to not to do anything they are not familiar with. Do not expect them to understand the intricate details of credit card mumbo jumbo. You don't expect Taco Bell employees to understand the minute details of Discover-JCB-Union Pay agreements, right? Same thing the other way around: be respectful as a guest in their country, prepare in advance in their ways, avoid being an "ugly American" stereotype.

3. You are a guest in their country. You are a minority. If 99.9% of their country's people and other tourists from around the world uses EMV, do you really think they are going to accomodate the 0.1% of American tourists who only have mag-stripes credit cards?

4. Again, you are a guest in their country. How would you, as an American standing in line, react if a Chinese tourist was clogging up the lines at a local Taco Bell because the clerk doesn't understand the Discover-Union Pay agreement and has trouble communicating between Mandarin spoken by the tourist and English spoken by the Taco Bell clerk? Same way the other way around. You do not want to clog up the lines for everyone. The less hassle, the better.

5. VISA and MC make tons of money from merchants in that country. Say SNCF French Rail. It's a billion dollar company in France. Do you think VISA is going to pull the plug of their relationship with SNCF because SNCF refuses to do mag-stripe processing at their unmanned train station kiosk? Of course not. Be realistic.

6. And lastly, if you're up against an unstaffed toll kiosk, gas pump or train ticket machine, are you going to yell curses at the machine?

But I want my credit card to be able to be used in the US too!
No worries. They have not gotten rid of the mag-stripe on the back of the card for backward compatibility reasons, just like we still have embossed numbers on our cards for backwards compatibility to using those old carbon copy imprinters.

[insert own Hyatt card image front and back together with red arrows pointing to all the backward compatibility features]

You use the chip on the front of the card abroad (for now), and the mag-stripe just like any other card for the US. Basically, you're increasing your credit card's acceptance rate by getting a card that both via the chip and the mag-stripe. You're getting a better deal for free.

And when 2015 comes along and US switches to EMV, you'll be way ahead of everyone else too!

So why did the rest of the world and the US moved/moving toward EMV?
Primarily, due to fraud concerns. You see, the mag-stripe has been with us since the 1950s. It may have been the most high tech thing back in the day, but with the technology that is available today, any shmo can pick up a $100 USB magnetic card skimming device off of eBay and get your credit card info.

And unlike skimming off contactless cards which actually need the person to have l33t programming skills, skimming off a magnetic stripe has become so ubiquitous that nary a day goes about skimming fraud going on somewhere in America, from gas pumps, Michael's stores (2011), Target breaches (2013), restaurant waiters/waitresses, to even McDonald's drive thrus.

https://www.google.com/search?q=skimming+fraud

These type of fraud used to be prevalent in Europe. But once they started switching over to EMV starting over 2 decades ago, this type of fraud went elsewhere. It went over to Asia, Canada and Mexico, Latin America, etc. etc. until they too began implementing EMV to combat skimming fraud. The US is practically the only country left that hasn't done so, therefore all the fraud that used to take place elsewhere is now happening here.

But EMV is old and it's not fool proof. Shouldn't we just skip over it and do something new instead?
Yes, EMV is old. It was developed in the 1990s and its smart card payment predecessor was first introduced in France. But as of today, it has become the defacto global standard of payments.

But then, what else is there? There is no other de facto global standard of payments alternative. For example, if we decide to skip over it and do something new, hypothetically like DNA matching technology, it still means US int'l travelers will continue to have problems abroad with useless plastic acceptance because no other country is using this DNA matching technology except the US.

Besides, nothing is fool proof. You can say that the bank vault isn't fool proof because you can crack it open if enough C4 is used. But your average low-life scumbag isn't likely to get military grade C4 easily either. But the bank vault does make it harder to get the bank's money over say a petty cash box. That's the point here. EMV is akin to a security tight bank vault, the old mag-stripe is akin to a petty cash box lying around inside the drawer.

I'm a business owner and I don't think EMV is going to take off. I'm not going to spend extra hundreds of dollars to upgrade my credit card machine. Convince me other wise why I should.
I can understand the added extra cost to your business once this switchover takes place. But before even saying that, look at your existing POS terminal. Does it have a slot somewhere to insert a card?

Most likely, if you had replaced your POS terminal within the past five years, you already have an EMV capable terminal. EMV is basically just not turned on yet from the processor and acquirer side.

If you have an EMV capable terminal, then a best bet would be to contact your acquirer to have the EMV feature turned on. You did your end of the deal already by having an EMV capable terminal, it is now the acquirers' responsibility to turn it on in accordance to the EMV switchover mandate.

And if you don't, you are going to replace your POS terminal anyway from common wear and tear. It isn't a hard switch-over. You can continue to use your POS terminal until it dies out because EMV cardholders will still have the mag-stripe on the back. And by the time your non-EMV capable POS terminal is up for replacement the market will be full with these newer POS terminals that can accept the mag-stripe, EMV, as well as contactless payments.

In addition, you may also want to check with your acquirer or processor about EMV capable terminals. Some of them are willing to replace your terminal for free in preparation for the US EMV switchover. Call and ask for details.

But what's in it for me? I'm the one that has to pay for the upgrade.
All the major card networks have given incentives for merchants for the upcoming EMV switchover.

If 75% or more of your credit card transactions are done on an EMV contact and contactless terminal, they are going to waive your annual PCI-DSS fees, which usually costs you around $5.00-$19.95/month per terminal. The overall long term cost savings of those compliance fees will be larger than the cost of an one time upgrade for the terminal.

The downside is that once EMV switchover happens and if you do not have a POS terminal that is able to accept EMV, the fraud liability shifts over to the merchant.

I own several fast food franchises. If I upgrade my POS terminals at all of my restaurants, it's going to cost me thousands, if not millions. I don't think anyone is going to use a fake credit card to buy $5 burgers. And if they do, wouldn't it be cheaper for me to eat the fraud cost?
Remember also that fraud isn't just committed by dishonest customers using fraudulent cards. Fraud can also happen with dishonest employees skimming off credit card data from the mag-stripe as in the case of a teenage McDonald's drive thru employee skimming off $13,000 of customers' credit cards in Olympia, WA. Consider the public relations fall out that your business may have if this happens (i.e. the big Target breach of 2013, where someone used a mag stripe card to load malware INTO Target's system). Is it worth risking to take such a huge PR disaster?
Print Wikipost

USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
What was that you said about math skills?
It's not my math, it's my vision and my short term memory. I thought I had written $4.24. I guess if in my next life I become a cashier, I will need the amount tendered key.

Thank you for the correction.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by kebosabi
One physical feature that I noticed is that Citi's EMV chip is smaller compared to Chase, BofA and Andrews FCU. AMEX also uses the similar smaller size EMV chip for their Platinum and Centurion line ups that they came out with recently.

Perhaps there's some upgraded aspect with cards that have the smaller chip?
Maybe the Citi EMV cards are secretly using the PIN fallback feature that the PenFed and CUs seem to be touting while BofA is not?

One thing we both noticed (Citi and BofA) is that the EMV readers detected that our cards was "ENglish" and suddenly converted the interface from Dutch to English on the reader. Very handy.

I also wonder if part of the issue lies with Visa vs Mastercard. My card is a Mastercard and his was a Visa. Wasn't there something about MasterCard preferring Chip & PIN while Visa was fully behind Chip&Sign?

So many variables...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by islandguy84
I also wonder if part of the issue lies with Visa vs Mastercard. My card is a Mastercard and his was a Visa. Wasn't there something about MasterCard preferring Chip & PIN while Visa was fully behind Chip&Sign?
It's actually quite a bit more complicated than that.

MC's proposal is to ditch the Chip-and-Signature and move straight to Chip-and-PIN since it's the more secure of the two. Major retailers such as Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot, and BestBuy are also proponents of the "signature verification is outdated and have no use this day and age, just move straight to PIN" team.

VISA's proposal is to put Chip-and-Signature as a half-step before moving onto Chip-and-PIN; since there are increasing number of countries (i.e. Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, China, India, Russia, and most of Southeast Asia – is based on Chip-and-Signature or online PIN technology), so VISA sees that it's cheaper and faster (especially the online PIN part) to implement that first as a half step before tackling the online/offline Chip-and-PIN dilemma in the US full scale.

Discover's proposal is to let the cards handle both and let the individual merchants decide which one to use depending on their needs. For example, use faster Chip-and-Sign for a Big Mac at McDonalds versus using more secure Chip-and-PIN for a more expensive flat screen TV at BestBuy; while also letting NYMTA and Chevron gas stations choose to use Chip-and-PIN at automated kiosks.

Discerning arguments by three parties all with good arguments, but the issues are close enough to come to an compromise agreement on what's best way to implement this in the US.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 3, 2013 at 5:38 pm
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
In that instance, I would give $10.14 (a ten, a dime and 4 pennies) to get back $1.75 in change (need quarters for laundry, etc.). Usually get funny looks over here, but over abroad especially in Asia, it's a commonly used method to get back specific change that you want which becomes useful because getting around by public transit is the norm.
In some instances when I've tried this in the US, I've gotten the equivalent outcome of 61 cents plus the extra 14 cents handed back to me with a confused look from the cashier.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:24 pm

Well I'll give you the best answer of all. I started the month with $25 in my wallet, a $20 and a $5 and I finished the month with the same $25 in my wallet and not once hit an ATM....that included myriad trips to the grocery, two trips to the dry cleaners, one drop off of my laundry at the laundromat (too lazy to do it myself for the few extra cents it costs me), refilling my metrocard, two trips for petrol, lunch at various fast food places (subway, the Chinese take out place, Mickey D). Of course paid all my bills via online banking including rent (landlord doesn't take credit cards), electricity (demented Con Ed doesn't takie plastic), auto loan (bank doesn't take plastic).

Just catching up on the bills and the cash rewards. Who needs cash? Who wants to be bothered with cash? Only way to do things in the 21st century!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Who needs cash? Who wants to be bothered with cash? Only way to do things in the 21st century!
While it is true majority of the things can be done without cash, I think cash is still king in many places.

One of my gas stations near my area has the cheapest gas in the neighborhood, but the prices says "cash only." Paying by a credit card is about 10 cents a gallon more so I usually fill up my gas there with cash.

Most farmers markets also is a strictly cash only environment, though some have begun to use Square devices with their smartphones, it's still cheap and fast to buy a fruits and veggies with cash. The people who set up tents here are also great at doing math in their head and are more likely to give me the change that I want when I give them a "weird" total. ^

Similar with a lot of private parking lots in LA. Majority of these places still only accept cash so I usually keep cash in my wallet.

I also use cash for tipping bus drivers for shuttle vans and the people that clean my hotel room.

The kid inside me also has a knack of buying ice cream from the ice cream truck that comes around my neighborhood and I pay by cash. Similar with other food trucks/stands when I'm in LA, San Francisco, and New York. Mmm... making me hungry.

Another thing I've learned during my road warrior days was keeping a wad of dollar bills folded length wise and snapped into the sunshade and have a roll quarters in a Styrofoam cup when travelling on toll roads in the East Coast. Since I'm renting a car, I don't have the local electronic toll tag so it's usually drive up to the toll, throw in the money into the pot and go. I also usually keep a roll of quarters in my travel backpack in the case I come around a town or city which uses the coin operated parking meters.

Topping up a Suica card in Japan can't be done via a credit card so usually have a bunch of Japanese yen when I visit Japan as well. In Japan, cash is still king in most places and it's actually faster to just drop in coins into the farebox when riding buses in Japan once you get the hang of their post-pay distance based fare bus system (pretty practical too, I wish the buses in the US adopts the pay-less-for-shorter-rides/pay-more-for-longer-rides model as well).

And of course, somehow I doubt tuk-tuk drivers in Delhi or Bangkok have credit card machines.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:50 pm

If anything, signature verification is also a vestigial remnant when graphology was considered solid science and credit cards were used for larger purchases or upscale restaurants back in the day.
A quick check of signatures CAN show you the vast majority of unauthorized use. It doesn't require detailed comparison. You're looking for obvious features - swirls, points letters start and end, style of letters, etc, not a line by line matching. Just a few quick obvious things. Easy to do.

P.S. This has *NOTHING TO DO WITH GRAPHOLOGY* - graphology was nonsense. Handwriting verification as a form of verifying the authenticity of a document IS solid science.

And sorry, but that's NOT how Visa feels per http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan...merchants.pdf:

The final step in the card acceptance process for transactions requiring a signature
is to ensure that the customer signs the sales receipt and to compare that signature
with the signature on the back of the card .
and

Some customers write “See ID” or “Ask for ID” in the signature panel, thinking
that this is a deterrent against fraud or forgery; that is, if their signature is not on
the card, a fraudster will not be able to forge it . In reality, criminals often don’t
take the time to practice signatures . They use cards as quickly as possible after a
theft and prior to the accounts being blocked . They are actually counting on you
not to look at the back of the card and compare signatures; they may even have
access to counterfeit identification with a signature in their own handwriting
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond
The mag-stripe is not going to go away. It will remain as a vestigial remnant of the card much like the embossed card numbers when they used to do it via the carbon copy imprinter machines.
For what it's worth, my latest TD Bank Visa Debit card is not embossed. No raised anything on it. It looks so fake!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Whereas the TD Visa debit cards issued north of the border are embossed, just with no name.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by alexmt
A quick check of signatures CAN show you the vast majority of unauthorized use. It doesn't require detailed comparison. You're looking for obvious features - swirls, points letters start and end, style of letters, etc, not a line by line matching. Just a few quick obvious things. Easy to do.
It really depends on the individual retailers or merchant's work environment. If you yourself are the business owner and you are the one manning the cash register in your small business, then what you're saying is understandable because it's your business on the line.

Unfortunately today, places like McDonald's, Walgreens, Costco, Staples, BestBuy, etc. make up majority of the retail service sector business in America as well as rest of the world these days. In places like these, the front line employees are minimum wage earning cashiers in their teenage years and 20-somethings. They are there as part-timers and are not going to make a career out of being a cashier all their life, hence they also have a high labor force turnover rate.

Do you really think companies like these are going to bother teaching their $7.25/hr high turnover rate labor force on how to become pros in detecting counterfeit signatures and teach them the detailed inner workings of the credit card transaction process?

If you ever read the SOP manuals of training cashiers at these places, their priorities are "get through the line as quickly as possible" due to their high customer volume and fast paced environment. The extent of "checking" that is written on their SOP is "if more than X dollar amount, ask to for customer's ID, check if name matches the name on the credit card." If anything, they prioritize "would you like to upsize your fries and drinks for $0.50 more/would you like to purchase a 2 year warranty plan" final sales pitch over signature verification.

Their stance is basically: "we're not going to bother with checking signatures on the back of the card for that $4.99 Big Mac Meal for each and every customer when we have to get through other customers standing in line." If credit card fraud happens, who the f--- cares, we're not liable, the customer isn't liable, it's the banks problem.

Except banks do have a growing problem dealing with fraud these days that it's now starting to hurt their business. But forcing a "check the signature on the back of the credit card and teach everyone from the individual small business owner to the minimum wage earning cashier at Wal-Mart to become pros in detecting counterfeit signatures" is unrealistic as well. So what do you do? Move to newer, more secure technology.

So it is understandable why MC as well as high volume fast past environment retailers like Wal-Mart and Target considers verification by signature an outdated form of verification. In today's fast paced environment, signature is just bothersome and has no real meaning when it's now used for everything from buying that $1.99 Big Gulp at 7-Eleven to paying electric bills online. The sheer number of transactions that are handled today with credit card processing makes signature verification for each and every transaction made is unrealistic in today's world. That's exactly why a lot of retailers don't even bother collecting signatures for transactions under certain amounts these days.

And sorry, but that's NOT how Visa feels per http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan...merchants.pdf:
Again, you have VISA's rules in theory versus VISA's enforcement of their own rules in real life. In theory, everyone is supposed to abide by the same VISA's rules. In reality, it's much more complicated than that because it's VISA's own rules, they get to decide whether to follow up on that or not. If it's a small business that's not following VISA's rules, then yeah they'll go hard after it. If it's a big retail chain like the Carrefour Group (equivalent of Wal-Mart in France) that makes VISA reap in millions, they're not stupid to yank off their relationship with them for the sake of a whining 0.1%er American who can't use his/her antiquated mag-stripe card there. It shouldn't be that way, but unfortunately, that's how things work in the real world.

CapitalOne is one of those naive ones that actually believes what VISA says and fails to understand rules in theory and rules in practice in real life. Have you ever contacted CapitalOne regarding EMV? They regurgitate the same thing over and over again: "VISA's agreement says that merchants have to accept it blah-blah-blah." VISA's real stance is "we wrote the rules therefore we also get to decide what's in the best interest for us to enforce it or not."

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 4, 2013 at 9:59 am
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL
I just looked at my my BoA Travel Rewards card statement after spending 2 weeks in Belgium. I see a "cash advance" fee line for each of my transaction, however the amount is $0. Does anyone else have experience with this? By the way, my card worked successfully in every terminal I used it in. Did not try any unmanned one, but about 5-6 different locations even in non tourist places. Each time chip and sig mode kicks in flawlessly.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by DevilsX
I just looked at my my BoA Travel Rewards card statement after spending 2 weeks in Belgium. I see a "cash advance" fee line for each of my transaction, however the amount is $0. Does anyone else have experience with this?
Is it the cash advance fee section in the bottom of the statement, or per each transaction done abroad?

Can you upload a copy of your statement (vital info blacked out of course)? It's faster to show pictures so as we can see what you see than explaining it in words.

Originally Posted by DevilsX
By the way, my card worked successfully in every terminal I used it in. Did not try any unmanned one, but about 5-6 different locations even in non tourist places. Each time chip and sig mode kicks in flawlessly.
^
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:29 pm

Is it the cash advance fee section in the bottom of the statement, or per each transaction done abroad?

Can you upload a copy of your statement (vital info blacked out of course)? It's faster to show pictures so as we can see what you see than explaining it in words.

^
The transactions all have their own individual dates, however the cash advance lines for each transaction posted as a batch on the closing date of the account, each showing $0. I just left home so I'll post a screenshot later.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:38 pm

While on this subject, i can confirm that all of the terminals switch from native dutch/french to english upon inserting my card. Some of the smaller places were confused as to why it printed out 2 receipts and didn't know what to do with them so they gave me both (including the one i have to sign and give back) to keep.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:51 pm

Bank of America and FIA statements look identical (which is far from odd as FIA is a fuly owned subsidiary of Bank of America). I had my Charles Schwab card converted to the Bank of America 3-2-1 card as many here have had. I also have a Fidelity Amex card which is processed via FIA.

The statements issued by both indicated total interest on a variety of different types of transaction after the individual charges are listed even if they are $0 and as a matter of fact I have full view on my fidelity account and every time either FIA or Banbk of America issues a statement, they have several lines indicating interest in various categories for the period as $0.

I suspect this is what the poster is referring to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.