USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Subscribe
Quote: Only way to be 100% sure is for someone to get that card and put it in a card reader. But yeah, I'm leaning towards C&S priority myself.
PayPass (as used on HSBC's cards) is what is used in the UK for Mastercard contactless payments so if the card supports this, you'll be able to use it anywhere in the UK that supports contactless (Transport for London buses, coffee shops, supermarkets etc).
Quote: What is the contactless chip? Is that for paywave?
If yes, I thought that there was a discussion here once that US cards only work at US paywave locations?

Sidenote,
throughout my travels in Europe I have yet to see a overseas terminal support paywave? (Maybe I haven't looked close enough)
Yes. I don't think there's any restrictions since EMV is supposed to be compatible with it. /shrug
Update on Chase Freedom EMV

Called again today
1. Frontline CSR didn't have a clue
2. Asked to speak to supervisor, supervisor seemingly knew exactly what I was talking about and said that typically those cards go out in waves to customers, BUT since I told her I was "traveling" she said that "I can submit a special request for you to receive the card"
3. Gladly accepted and asked for express delivery
I will update here once I receive the card
Quote: Barclay's card lets you change your PIN online or by phone and someone from them confirmed that the change gets pushed on the next use, IIRC. Might be the same here.
Does anyone have firsthand evidence that this is true? I know I've read it elsewhere in the forum but I rather doubt it actually works this way.
Quote: I've been following this topic for quite a while and finally registered to contribute with a card that I didn't see in the wiki. United Nations Federal Credit Union has a card called Visa Azure. It has no annual fee, but does have a 1% FTF. The card and PIN are mailed separately and the PIN cannot be changed, so it looks like it supports offline PIN. I'm in Vancouver at the moment, but have also used this card in Europe and it has been accepted everywhere I go and I've always been asked for a PIN.
Quote: Not sure if anyone's noticed, but HSBC's US cards are now EMV enabled (and are contactless! ): http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/home/pers...g/credit-cards

From reading the information there, it appears that the cards have a PIN but are signature priority like the other C&P cards in this country. But still, they support contactless. And that's pretty huge if you're going to be traveling somewhere where the mass transit no longer takes cash.

Thanks, updated HSBC cards and UNFCU Azure to spreadsheet.
Quote: Does anyone have firsthand evidence that this is true? I know I've read it elsewhere in the forum but I rather doubt it actually works this way.
I listed a link a while back to Barclays official travel blog which had the post with the information. I would imagine the person that posted the information is a Barclays employee
Here is the CVM list for the USAA MasterCard I just received:

Code:
CVM 1   > Apply succeeding CV rule if this rule is unsuccessful:
        Enciphered PIN verified online - If unattended cash

CVM 2   > Fail cardholder verification if this CVM is unsuccessful:
        Signature (paper) - If terminal supports the CVM

CVM 3   > Apply succeeding CV rule if this rule is unsuccessful:
        Enciphered PIN verified online - If terminal supports the CVM

CVM 4   > Apply succeeding CV rule if this rule is unsuccessful:
        Enciphered PIN verification performed by ICC - If terminal supports the CVM

CVM 5   > Apply succeeding CV rule if this rule is unsuccessful:
        Plaintext PIN verification performed by ICC - If terminal supports the CVM

CVM 6   > Fail cardholder verification if this CVM is unsuccessful:
        No CVM Required - If terminal supports the CVM
Quote: Here is the CVM list for the USAA MasterCard I just received:

Code:
CVM 1   > Apply succeeding CV rule if this rule is unsuccessful:
        Enciphered PIN verified online - If unattended cash

CVM 2   > Fail cardholder verification if this CVM is unsuccessful:
        Signature (paper) - If terminal supports the CVM

CVM 3   > Apply succeeding CV rule if this rule is unsuccessful:
        Enciphered PIN verified online - If terminal supports the CVM

CVM 4   > Apply succeeding CV rule if this rule is unsuccessful:
        Enciphered PIN verification performed by ICC - If terminal supports the CVM

CVM 5   > Apply succeeding CV rule if this rule is unsuccessful:
        Plaintext PIN verification performed by ICC - If terminal supports the CVM

CVM 6   > Fail cardholder verification if this CVM is unsuccessful: No
        CVM Required - If terminal supports the CVM
Unfortunate, but matches JEFFJAGUAR's experience. I wonder why USAA doesn't allow PIN as a backup in case of failed signature verification though. That might help with the merchants who aren't supposed to reject signature but do so anyway.
More newbie questions:

1. What's the difference between "enciphered PIN" and "plaintext PIN?"
2. What practically happens with CVMs where it says "apply succeeding rule" versus "fail." At the end of the day, the terminal is checking. Does that mean that if the terminal supports both enciphered online and enciphered offline PIN, and my online PIN was wrong, it'll ask for an offline PIN?
Quote: Unfortunate, but matches JEFFJAGUAR's experience. I wonder why USAA doesn't allow PIN as a backup in case of failed signature verification though. That might help with the merchants who aren't supposed to reject signature but do so anyway.
Well, that's a real shame. Thanks for posting; this is proof for JJ's hypothesis that the new cards would be downgraded like his. My old card expiry date is Feb 2015, and I only have one intl. trip planned before then Oh well, it worked great the last couple years.
Quote: More newbie questions:

1. What's the difference between "enciphered PIN" and "plaintext PIN?"
2. What practically happens with CVMs where it says "apply succeeding rule" versus "fail." At the end of the day, the terminal is checking. Does that mean that if the terminal supports both enciphered online and enciphered offline PIN, and my online PIN was wrong, it'll ask for an offline PIN?
Enciphered PIN = PIN is encrypted in the terminal before being sent to the card/acquirer. Plaintext = no encryption done on the PIN. I think most terminals support both but most cards with a PIN use plaintext for offline PIN due to the expense required to make cards that can do encryption.

Fail means the transaction will just be voided. "Apply succeeding rule" means the terminal will go to the next supported rule in the card's CVM list, failing if it can't find any other rules.
Quote: Enciphered PIN = PIN is encrypted in the terminal before being sent to the card/acquirer. Plaintext = no encryption done on the PIN. I think most terminals support both but most cards with a PIN use plaintext for offline PIN due to the expense required to make cards that can do encryption.
So why do any credit cards offer plaintext online PIN? Seems kinda silly to not encipher a PIN.

As for enciphered offline, if I understand correctly, the card would need to encipher it before sending it to the terminal for confirmation? If so, sounds like the USAA still does that, above what others do.

I also don't get why a plaintext PIN would ever be a CVM than an enciphered one.

Quote:
Fail means the transaction will just be voided. "Apply succeeding rule" means the terminal will go to the next supported rule in the card's CVM list, failing if it can't find any other rules.
So how can it fail signature but still have lower CVMs? Is that only for terminals that don't support signature? You mentioned it would be nice not to fail so as to help where merchants just void signature transactions - how would that help if the terminal would just pop out a slip? Could he press "void" and it would then ask for a PIN?
Quote: So why do any credit cards offer plaintext online PIN? Seems kinda silly to not encipher a PIN.

As for enciphered offline, if I understand correctly, the card would need to encipher it before sending it to the terminal for confirmation? If so, sounds like the USAA still does that, above what others do.

I also don't get why a plaintext PIN would ever be a CVM than an enciphered one.
I don't believe any support plaintext online PIN. It's a massive security issue if they do.

Quote: So how can it fail signature but still have lower CVMs? Is that only for terminals that don't support signature? You mentioned it would be nice not to fail so as to help where merchants just void signature transactions - how would that help if the terminal would just pop out a slip? Could he press "void" and it would then ask for a PIN?
The other CVMs are supposed to be for terminals that don't support signature, I think.

As for pushing "void", I'm not 100% sure. The prompt for the merchant is something like "is signature valid? Yes/No" in their local language. I would think it would go to PIN next if they push No but it really depends on the terminal and card. I'm tempted to go to the yogurt shop I went to earlier in the thread with my Andrews card (since all of the CVM rules are "apply succeeding") and have the cashier push No to find out.
I don't imagine so but,
Does anyone have any updates on the Chase CSP pin version roll out?
Quote: I don't believe any support plaintext online PIN. It's a massive security issue if they do.

The other CVMs are supposed to be for terminals that don't support signature, I think.

As for pushing "void", I'm not 100% sure. The prompt for the merchant is something like "is signature valid? Yes/No" in their local language. I would think it would go to PIN next if they push No but it really depends on the terminal and card. I'm tempted to go to the yogurt shop I went to earlier in the thread with my Andrews card (since all of the CVM rules are "apply succeeding") and have the cashier push No to find out.

Plaintext Online PIN does not exist. All online PINs are enciphered. Online PINs are encrypted by the terminal and sent to the acquirer. Online PINs for EMV are handled by the terminal just like PINs for debit cards.

And no, your theory about the CVM list is incorrect. In your scenario, the terminal at the yogurt shop would actually void the transaction when you pushed NO. Per the EMV standard, once the terminal decides to try a CVM (either by choice or automatically), then the transaction will be voided if that particular CVM cannot be completed.

Also, there is no way for USAA to have a backup PIN for the people who void signature transactions.