USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Subscribe
Quote: Actually MasterCard is pushing Chip and PIN but they cannot force banks that way. Visa on the other hand is pushing Chip and signature. But it is the bank's choice
This has been the assumption here but from reading various articles and the like, it doesn't appear mastercard is pushing all that hard at this point in time for chip and pin. Like I said, that battle at this point has been lost or so it seems.
I don't know if this link has been published anywhere else in the past 350 or so pages and the information in it is certainly well known to most here, but some of the quotes from some of the people might be interesting to some.(Granted...it's a year and a half old)

http://www.cardhub.com/edu/chip-and-...and-signature/
I wonder if Sam's Club will be true to its word and make the second round of its new MC C&P priority?
Quote: I wonder if Sam's Club will be true to its word and make the second round of its new MC C&P priority?
I'm sure they will. Walmart has been a huge backer of chip and PIN.
Quote: Here's the answer I finally got from USAA and I don't think a lot of people here are going to like it.

As of 25 April (that was the date mentioned), a business decision was made to change cvm priority to chip and signature on their world mastercard because...well there is no real because other than it was a business decision. The person, very polite I must say and I appreciate her efforts, said it had to do with the fact that in the USA (just as I supposed), chip and signature will be the predominant verification method and that mastercard wants it that way. She had no answer as to why my updated pin did not work in the kiosk at CDG.
Could it be that your card has an offline PIN (which USAA didn't tell you), which is different from your online PIN, and you were entering the wrong PIN? What happens if you put your card into an ATM and change the PIN, then go back to CDG?
Quote: Could it be that your card has an offline PIN (which USAA didn't tell you), which is different from your online PIN, and you were entering the wrong PIN? What happens if you put your card into an ATM and change the PIN, then go back to CDG?
Well I'm certainly not making a trip back to CDG to check this out, that's for sure. Nothing exists in a vacumn. Having read some of the things here, my feeling is that one needs a chip and signature transaction to change the pin on the chip to coincide with the pin I changed online which they didn't tell me about. So, and I was seething about the whole thing, what I should have done is tried the old pin in any event.

But it's water under the bridge now and as I've said, at least for the time being, I've resigned myself that the USA for whatever reasons, valid or not, has been pushed into adopting chip and signature as its primary and indeed probbly only cvm and as far as card is present purchases are concerned should not really matter (except for the oddball merchant here and there that illegally doesn't want to complete signature based purchases but the jury is still out on what is going on with unpersonneled kiosks.
Quote: I'm sure they will. Walmart has been a huge backer of chip and PIN.
You would want to wager a nickel on that, would you? Don't you get it. The USA and its cardholders have been sold out for whatever the reason and we are going chip and signature all the way; at least for the time being.
Maybe Target will open its new MC up for public applications?
I'll be travelling to the U.S. In a couple of weeks so will be interesting to see how my UK cards work ( Chip and PIN)

Last time I was over, they took my card, swiped it and a receipt popped out. I signed the slip and they gave the card and slip back to me ( didn't bother to check the signature). I typically tipped in cash.

Overall though, I usually paid in cash as UK cards had a 2.99% fee. I now have a couple of cards with no foreign fees for swiping or ATM so will be using the cards a lot more in lots of different places ( restaurants, shops etc).

Anything I need to know?
Quote: I'll be travelling to the U.S. In a couple of weeks so will be interesting to see how my UK cards work ( Chip and PIN)

Last time I was over, they took my card, swiped it and a receipt popped out. I signed the slip and they gave the card and slip back to me ( didn't bother to check the signature). I typically tipped in cash.

Overall though, I usually paid in cash as UK cards had a 2.99% fee. I now have a couple of cards with no foreign fees for swiping or ATM so will be using the cards a lot more in lots of different places ( restaurants, shops etc).

Anything I need to know?
You're traveling back in time. :P You're signature probably won't be verified, but not that it matters, because someone could just steal your card and copy your signature. It's a very good CVM. I like it.
Quote: I'll be travelling to the U.S. In a couple of weeks so will be interesting to see how my UK cards work ( Chip and PIN)

Anything I need to know?
99.9% of the time, unless you shop at Walmart, your card will almost surely be swiped. In many cases, for amounts under $50, you will not be asked for a signature. If you use self service gas (petrol) pumps, you may be asked for your zip code in which case you will be up the creek without a paddle although UK postal codes are the same as Canadian postal codes and some Canadians have discovered a work around (the numbers in the middle of the postal code I think). If you shop at Walmart, you will indeed probably be asked for your pin on an emv terminal you will be familiar with.

I think that's what you should expect.
Quote: 99.9% of the time, unless you shop at Walmart, your card will almost surely be swiped. In many cases, for amounts under $50, you will not be asked for a signature. If you use self service gas (petrol) pumps, you may be asked for your zip code in which case you will be up the creek without a paddle although UK postal codes are the same as Canadian postal codes and some Canadians have discovered a work around (the numbers in the middle of the postal code I think).
This would be an interesting test case if you can report back. Not all gas stations ask for a zip code. I think another workaround is sometimes entering 00000 or 99999. I wouldn't want to try too many times considering your bank or the station's system might shut you down.

I rarely have someone verify that the signature matches (or is even anything close to the name printed on the card). In contrast, I noticed during my recent trip to Australia that the cashiers tried to turn into handwriting forensics experts. I think this has a lot more to do with the fact of how liability is passed on to the merchant. Right now it's mostly the card issuers that eat the cost of a fraudulent transaction. However, in countries that have switched to EMV, you would assume the card present fraud has been reduced substantially. Therefore if someone is using a physically stolen - not cloned - valid card, it's in your interest to pay more attention to the signature.
Quote: 99.9% of the time, unless you shop at Walmart, your card will almost surely be swiped. In many cases, for amounts under $50, you will not be asked for a signature. If you use self service gas (petrol) pumps, you may be asked for your zip code in which case you will be up the creek without a paddle although UK postal codes are the same as Canadian postal codes and some Canadians have discovered a work around (the numbers in the middle of the postal code I think). If you shop at Walmart, you will indeed probably be asked for your pin on an emv terminal you will be familiar with.

I think that's what you should expect.
Chip and PIN or not, international visitors not having to rely on hacks to use cards here is huge.
Quote: Chip and PIN or not, international visitors not having to rely on hacks to use cards here is huge.
I did use a gas station before but got stumped on the zip code bit. Went inside with cash to pre-pay but as it was a hire car, I didn't know how much I'd need to fill up before the airport. Thought I'd need about $25 so gave the guy 30. He put it in the cash desk and as I was still standing there, he gave me a strange look. I said I'd given him 30 and he firmly said nope, it was 25. Politely explained that we have a difference of opinion and he opened the drawer and said yep - he'd accidently put the 10 in the 5 drawer. Here's your 5 bucks buddy!

Filled up, and used the 25. Pump stopped so had to go back in with 5. Went back to pump, topped up and left dollar or so under. Luckily no line/queue.

Anyway, point is - EMV would have solved all this but then I wouldn't have had the interesting conversation with the guy behind the counter.

Anyway, I'll let you know if anything has changed ( I still think pre-paying for petrol / gas is a weird concept but there you go). Perhaps we Brits are more honest when it comes to petrol purchasing so fill up first then pay after.
Many but by no means all merchants in the USA, especially at unattended kiosks, use zip codes as sort of a defacto pin. When you ask them what about somebody who doesn't have a zip code, their attitude is tough luck, much like attitudes in Europe where pins are required and many Yankees don't have one on their cards.

Metrocard vending machines in the NYC subway ask for zip codes. Also there are many gas stations where you pump first and pay later but the number of such stations is decreasing. Most of the time in America, there is usually an attendant.