USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Subscribe
Quote: Agreed! Which is why I'm trying to figure out if PenFed and USAA will give broad coverage or if they are redundant/overlap...not sure if they work exactly the same in terms of online/offline pin.

Btw, there is something called "Coin" (https://onlycoin.com), which does what you are talking about with many card ....obviously doesn't have chip-n-pin yet
Coin supporting EMV anytime soon is unlikely. (I was one of the idiots who preordered it.) Then again, I didn't know about EMV then nor did the Target breach happen yet.
Quote: Agreed! Which is why I'm trying to figure out if PenFed and USAA will give broad coverage or if they are redundant/overlap...not sure if they work exactly the same in terms of online/offline pin.

Btw, there is something called "Coin" (https://onlycoin.com), which does what you are talking about with many card ....obviously doesn't have chip-n-pin yet
Consider this: you're lucky that you came here today. At least we have tons of EMV options today. Only a few years ago back when this whole EMV thread was just getting started, there were zero, zilch, nada EMV options in the US. The banks really didn't care about EMV issues and tried to dodge the issue altogether with lame excuses like "oh but merchants have to accept it, blah-blah-blah."

Basically up until late 2010, it was a barren desert for us US travelers heading out to the world. And even when it started trickling out little by little, the only options available were either you had to be a member of the UN (UNFCU was only restricted to those who worked for the UN at the time), bad exchange rate ones like Travelex prepaid cards, or one which required one to be a multi-millionaire or that sort.

Afterwards, Citi quietly started introducing EMV cards to existing cardholders. At the initial phase, there were mass confusion where those who requested a replacement EMV card had to speak with CSRs over and over again, only to be dismayed they were issued a regular card. A lot has changed since then in which Citi now has an online option to request an EMV replacement card.

When AndrewsFCU came out with a no annual fee, no FTF fee (actually started off with 1% FTF, then went down to 0%), Chip-and-PIN "capable" card, that's when things really changed. Since then, you got BofA, Chase, Citibank, AMEX, come onboard with competition going on who could provide the best deal with EMV cards. Suddenly, they became aware they don't want to piss off US travelers, who tend to spend more than the average joe.

In 4 years, it went from virtually zero, to only to the privileged cardholders, and now to mass issuance.

And then you had the Target breach happen late last year which changed a lot of things about US EMV transition. Now Walmart has most of their EMV terminals active.

Considering that there was zero EMV in the US before 2010 to where we stand today, I'm happy on what change has been done in the last 4 years. Frankly, when I reflect upon back on my frustrations of world travel back before 2010, the change that's been done in 4 years is amazing!

Are there things that banks can do better? Yes. C&P, C&S, best preferred CVM order, debating whether signature is dead, the point of no CVM, ability to change PINs, NFC capability, training of cashiers, consumer acceptable, merchant delays, etc. etc. are all issues that can be debated which we have been doing so for the past 347 pages of this thread.

But the fact that we're actually debating on those issues today just amazes me when 4 years ago, the major issue was "why the f--- no one in the US issues a chip card!?"
Quote: Consider this: you're lucky that you came here today. At least we have tons of EMV options today. Only a few years ago back when this whole EMV thread was just getting started, there were zero, zilch, nada EMV options in the US. The banks really didn't care about EMV issues and tried to dodge the issue altogether with lame excuses like "oh but merchants have to accept it, blah-blah-blah."

Basically up until late 2010, it was a barren desert for us US travelers heading out to the world. And even when it started trickling out little by little, the only options available were either you had to be a member of the UN (UNFCU was only restricted to those who worked for the UN at the time), bad exchange rate ones like Travelex prepaid cards, or one which required one to be a multi-millionaire or that sort.

Afterwards, Citi quietly started introducing EMV cards to existing cardholders. At the initial phase, there were mass confusion where those who requested a replacement EMV card had to speak with CSRs over and over again, only to be dismayed they were issued a regular card. A lot has changed since then in which Citi now has an online option to request an EMV replacement card.

When AndrewsFCU came out with a no annual fee, no FTF fee (actually started off with 1% FTF, then went down to 0%), Chip-and-PIN "capable" card, that's when things really changed. Since then, you got BofA, Chase, Citibank, AMEX, come onboard with competition going on who could provide the best deal with EMV cards. Suddenly, they became aware they don't want to piss off US travelers, who tend to spend more than the average joe.

In 4 years, it went from virtually zero, to only to the privileged cardholders, and now to mass issuance.

And then you had the Target breach happen last year which changed a lot of things about US EMV transition. Now Walmart has most of their EMV terminals active.

Considering that there was zero EMV in the US before 2010 to where we stand today, I'm happy on what change has been done in the last 4 years. Frankly, when I reflect upon back on my frustrations of world travel back before 2010, the change that's been done in 4 years is amazing!
Indeed. Most of our complaints now are that our cards are chip and signature priority, which in practice is proving to not be as big of an issue as first thought.
Finally a reply from PenFed:

"The chip embedded in the card will only work when using it face-to-face with
merchants..Regrettably, it can not be used with unmanned kiosks."

This is really weird, either these CU reps themselves are not much familiar/educated on these chip&pin card, or something else...because some folks do report using PenFed cards at unmanned kiosks....
Quote: Consider this: you're lucky that you came here today. At least we have tons of EMV options today. Only a few years ago back when this whole EMV thread was just getting started, there were zero, zilch, nada EMV options in the US. The banks really didn't care about EMV issues and tried to dodge the issue altogether with lame excuses like "oh but merchants have to accept it, blah-blah-blah."

And then you had the Target breach happen late last year which changed a lot of things about US EMV transition. Now Walmart has most of their EMV terminals active.

Are there things that banks can do better? Yes. C&P, C&S, best preferred CVM order, debating whether signature is dead, the point of no CVM, ability to change PINs, NFC capability, training of cashiers, consumer acceptable, merchant delays, etc. etc. are all issues that can be debated which we have been doing so for the past 347 pages of this thread.

But the fact that we're actually debating on those issues today just amazes me when 4 years ago, the major issue was "why the f--- no one in the US issues a chip card!?"
I found this summary very useful. Thanks for posting this!
Looks like we are moving in the right direction
Quote: I found this summary very useful. Thanks for posting this!
Looks like we are moving in the right direction
It would be an even bigger step in the right direction if a US issuer could issue an offline PIN 1st CVM with no AF and no FTF. UNFCU currently charges 1%. Wish they'd get rid of that, considering how they, as a credit union, are geared toward things international.
Amex chip failed at Carroll's Irish Gifts in Dublin, who swiped it, and at Isaac's Hostel, who had me pay with Visa. Isaac's was surprised as she thought they took Amex.
Quote: Indeed. Most of our complaints now are that our cards are chip and signature priority, which in practice is proving to not be as big of an issue as first thought.
Correct. The two remaining problems is that just prevelent it is for merchants not ao accept signature berification even if their terminals do. Also what happens at unmanned kiosks which seems to be a mixed bag of non information. But then again, the question remains how much more effective as far as acceptance is concerned is chip and signature over simple magnetic strip. Clearly it is greater but the question is just how much greater.
From chase
https://www.chase.com/credit-cards/s...9,rc-q10,cc-q1

Quote: Only a few years ago back when this whole EMV thread was just getting started, there were zero, zilch, nada EMV options in the US.
To be specific, you're referring to the predecessor of this thread, not this thread as it exists now.

That thread was:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html

This thread we're posting in here came later (or was branched off later, I don't remember), after EMV cards were already in existence.
Quote: Then why does the very first post in this thread (from Jan 18, 12, 9:29 am)start with announcing a spreadsheet that lists those EMV options?

There may have been another thread that predated that that you're thinking of, but this here thread seems to have started when there were already several EMV options in the US (though many of them by request only at that point).
Yes, you're right. I forgot there was a prior EMV thread before this one that predated 2012/1/18. My bad.
Quote: This was recently posted here by an employee on the Barclaycard Arrival Community:

So they are using scripts and, unless I'm totally missing the point, the Arrival card seems to definitely include Offline PIN. Has anyone verified this using Cardpeek?
That's nice that they have clearly knowledgeable employees who are posting. The problem with that is that a consumer isn't aware whether the terminal is online or offline. If I change the PIN online and then head to an offline PIN, the old PIN and not the new PIN will work. There are unmanned online terminals and there are manned offline terminals (see France).

Quote: Amex chip failed at Carroll's Irish Gifts in Dublin, who swiped it, and at Isaac's Hostel, who had me pay with Visa. Isaac's was surprised as she thought they took Amex.
It failed at Carroll's with a swipe? Did a chip insert work?

Quote: From chase
https://www.chase.com/credit-cards/s...9,rc-q10,cc-q1

Not so helpful if you're at an unmanned kiosk who refuses your card or the merchant doesn't speak English and/or doesn't really understand and doesn't really care
Quote: Amex chip failed at Carroll's Irish Gifts in Dublin, who swiped it, and at Isaac's Hostel, who had me pay with Visa. Isaac's was surprised as she thought they took Amex.
It sounds like the terminals weren't Amex chip enabled.
Someone over on FICO's boards indicated BMW's credit card now offers EMV - the website for the card confirms it. No word on priorities or anything like that.

https://www.mybmwcard.com/
Quote: Finally a reply from PenFed:

"The chip embedded in the card will only work when using it face-to-face with
merchants..Regrettably, it can not be used with unmanned kiosks."

This is really weird, either these CU reps themselves are not much familiar/educated on these chip&pin card, or something else...because some folks do report using PenFed cards at unmanned kiosks....
I used my PenFed card in train and bus ticket kiosks as well as an unmanned gas pump last July in France, so I know it used to work in those machines. A PIN was required in each case. However, a couple of weeks ago PenFed sent me an "upgrade" to the card. Perhaps the new card can no longer be used in those situations.

I hope someone will test this out before I get to Europe. If the PenFed Visa no longer works in ticket and gas kiosks I don't really need to keep it.