USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Subscribe
Quote: American Express Blue Cash Everyday should be added to the list (Google spreadsheet) as having EMV. 2.7% foreign transaction fee, though.
The old Blue Cash has EMV too. I think at this point there are few AmEx products without EMV.
Quote: Interesting. It shows you the cultural differences though. The biggest note you ever see day to day in the UK is £20. There are some £50 notes but I've only ever seen one once (I got one from ATM about 4 years ago) and I probably wouldn't accept it if someone tried to pay with one as I don't really know what they look like or its security features (they redesigned it last year) + No one really pays cash for anything over £20 (£10 for a lot of people).
Culture does have a lot to do with it.

For example, though a lot has changed since I was a kid, many of Japan still remains a cash only society, especially if you wander outside of the major cities.

Even in the city of Narita, at the Nakasendo that leads down to the Shinshoji (Narita-san) Buddhist Temple, though they see many foreign tourists there due to its proximity to NRT, many shops do not accept credit cards. You don't have cash and only have a credit card, they literally do not want your business. Some businesses are even fed up with foreigners asking if they accept credit cards that they even have signs at their front door that say "CASH ONLY, NO CREDIT CARD" in multiple languages.

And for the most part, they are fine with that because many Japanese still prefer to use cash for everything.

Many of this also has to do with the fact that historically, processors and acquirers of the Japanese credit card industry were like an oligopoly (about three card acquirers that controlled 95% of the market). It wasn't until the 1990s that the government eased the regulations to allow for more competition. But the mindset that "making our business to accept credit cards aren't worth the cost" is still the way of thinking in many mom-and-pop merchants in Japan.

Over here in the US, Canada or Europe, anything over a "twenty" is considered too big and not worth being carried around on a daily basis. In Japan, most Japanese just carry the 1000, 5000, and 10000 yen bills, along with coins many even stacks of them, inside their wallet. Oddly, even though Japan issue s a 2000 yen bill, it remains very unpopular which is strange as it's value is like a "twenty" which is a popular bill in the US, Canada, and Europe.

Don't get me wrong, I love Japan. I go there almost every year, maybe two or three times a year. But everytime I go to Japan, I have to carry around cash, or know where the nearest internationally accepted ATMs are, as Japan is still a cash oriented society. And oddly this co-exists with being one of the most high tech nation in the world when it comes to everything, including using contactless cards for mass transit.

Strange, huh?
Quote: From what I've read, rivaling chip-and-PIN as a travel challenge is having exact change in cash. As majuki experienced in Germany, if you request, say, 100 euros from an ATM, you're likely as not to get a single 100-euro note. Which nobody wants to change or accept as payment.

<snip>

Makes me wonder what I'll be in for next year in Paris.
Well, my limited experience says you'll wind up with some €100 and €50 notes from whatever ATM you hit, and that many merchants will look unhappy if you wave a €50 or even a €20 at them. As others suggested, most seem to prefer a payment that requires the least amount of change from them. I try to arrange my purchases with this in mind where possible, and to go out of my way to break larger bills at hotel desks or other places on the tourist main stem that are more accommodating.

A good tip (from Rick Steves' guidebooks) is to draw an "odd" amount, forcing the ATM to give you at least a few small bills. For example, my bank lets me draw a maximum of $500 per day per card. Also, most ATMs seem to want to dispense amounts that are multiples of €20. So, if the exchange rate is €1 = $1.35, I can draw 500/1.35 ~ €370 at a time. Round down to nearest 20-multiple (or up, depending on the bank's leniency with the exchange rate), and ask the ATM for €360. You'll at least get €60 in smaller notes to work with until you get back to your hotel.

Or, since you are in Paris, just eat at nice restaurants, which should help you work down any surplus of large notes you might have. I recommend the Cafe de la Paix, right across from Opera Garnier. You can dine sumptuously, imagine yourself hobnobbing with the famous great thinkers and literary persons who used to frequent the cafe, and keep an eye out for the phantom across the street. And you may be sure that your stack of €100's will soon be reduced to a more manageable size, n'est-ce pas?
Quote: Interesting article on that subject:

http://www.dw.de/tough-times-for-the...ote/a-16865110

I had no idea there was a 200 Euro note.
Strange article. Are they really criminalize having cash in Germany?
Is this a true statement?
Quote:
Because of money laundering laws, citizens must prove a legal origin for large amounts of money.
What is considered "large" amount?

Oh, and this is so stupid:
Quote:
Taking the large note out of circulation should therefore not be publicized, said Hickel. The longer elimination of the 500-euro note is discussed, the greater the opportunities for criminals to re-launder the money.
Criminals would know about this before some officials will do...
Why would anyone on this thread be paying such a large restaurant bill in cash? I don't go out of my way to accommodate fussy cashiers or waitresses who balk at taking €50 or €100. I got burned once by someone seeing I had smaller notes. Now I make it clear it's all I have except credit cards, so either play ball or don't get paid. I am not unreasonable about it - I wouldn't do this to a street vendor - but when you're a full service restaurant you have enough change for the weekend. Keep in mind this is after I was turned away at the hotel reception because they needed to make change over the weekend. Larger chain hotels in big cities will usually change notes, but if you're in a smaller city or non-Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Holiday Inn type they're more reluctant.
Quote: I got burned once by someone seeing I had smaller notes. Now I make it clear it's all I have except credit cards, so either play ball or don't get paid.
Can you elaborate on being burned? Did someone see your cash and take it from you or assume it was theirs instead of accepting your EMV card? What did they do when you told them it was to pay a street vendor or pay a friend back (i.e. folks who do not accept your EMV card)?
Quote: Oh sorry for not being clear. I wasn't referring to card readers that plug into a computer. They are seperate and battery powered. You insert your card, enter your pin and you get a 60 second code to use on you internet banking or 3d secure transaction.
What banks offer these readers? Are they a proprietary solution or standards based?
Quote: Can you elaborate on being burned? Did someone see your cash and take it from you or assume it was theirs instead of accepting your EMV card? What did they do when you told them it was to pay a street vendor or pay a friend back (i.e. folks who do not accept your EMV card)?
I don't know if you're subtly trying to imply that these posts are going off topic, but it would be best to come out and say that directly if that's the case...

By being burned I mean being compelled to spend smaller notes because the cashier saw them when I tried to pay with €50 (or in one case €20). There were language barriers here, but in each situation enough was understood that the cashier/waitress wanted to make the least amount of change possible. As this was in Germany, none of these places accepted cards as payment. I have never had my chip-and-signature card refused by a merchant that takes cards as a form of payment, only at unattended kiosks that use offline PIN verification.
Quote: What banks offer these readers? Are they a proprietary solution or standards based?
I don't know how the UK works, but Japan operates similarly for contactless cards, albeit for transit cards and reloadable prepaid cards.

Any person can buy an USB NFC card reader at any electronics store in Japan, like this, usually for around 3000 JPY:
http://www.sony.co.jp/Products/felic...l?j-short=pcrw

Pretty much all of contactless in Japan is standardized to the Felica system and since NFC supports Felica, it's a defacto standard USB contactless card reader that any contactless card in Japan can be used for it.

When one needs to access private information from their home computer, (i.e. transit cards like Suica or PASMO, contactless prepaid cards like WAON or Edy, etc.), all one needs to do is hook up this device to their computer, and place their contactless cards onto it to access vital personal information via the internet. There, they can view their transactions and make reloads to the card at the comfort of their own home. They are primarily used for stuff like transit cards and prepaid cards so that it proves that you have the card in hand right now as well.

It's not like you need it, but for those who don't want to go back and forth to the nearest train station or to a specified reload kiosk, it provides them with an option to buy this device at their own expense so that they can do it securely at the comfort of their own home.

In the context of interest that some people here are buying their own contact readers to see the CVM list of their EMV cards (I actually ended up buying the SCM 3500 model over shopping at Fry's, hoping to get it today or tomorrow), I think it's an option that banks in the US can look into as an extra layer of security: you can't log into your account info unless you stick your own card into your own computer via a USB (EMV or NFC contactless) card reader.

Any hacker can steal passwords easily but they won't be able to access it if they don't have the physical card. A burglar can steal the card easily, but they won't be able to access it if they don't have the login ID and password. Why not combine the best of both worlds? It certainly does ante up the level of security. Is it a panacea and 100% solution, no nothing is. But it raises the bar a lot that one would need both the physical card AND the login ID/password to gain entry to personal info.

The US military already does this with their CAC when they need to access confidential e-mail over the internet. CAC is basically an EMV card that provides the same level of security: need both physical card in hand and the login ID/password to gain entry to key info. It is standardized across the US military. And card readers are readily available for pickup as some here have started buying.

That being said, I don't see why not the banking system could offer the same level of optional security. Note the italics in optional.
Quote: Well, my limited experience says you'll wind up with some €100 and €50 notes from whatever ATM you hit, and that many merchants will look unhappy if you wave a €50 or even a €20 at them. As others suggested, most seem to prefer a payment that requires the least amount of change from them. I try to arrange my purchases with this in mind where possible, and to go out of my way to break larger bills at hotel desks or other places on the tourist main stem that are more accommodating.

A good tip (from Rick Steves' guidebooks) is to draw an "odd" amount, forcing the ATM to give you at least a few small bills. For example, my bank lets me draw a maximum of $500 per day per card. Also, most ATMs seem to want to dispense amounts that are multiples of €20. So, if the exchange rate is €1 = $1.35, I can draw 500/1.35 ~ €370 at a time. Round down to nearest 20-multiple (or up, depending on the bank's leniency with the exchange rate), and ask the ATM for €360. You'll at least get €60 in smaller notes to work with until you get back to your hotel.

Or, since you are in Paris, just eat at nice restaurants, which should help you work down any surplus of large notes you might have. I recommend the Cafe de la Paix, right across from Opera Garnier. You can dine sumptuously, imagine yourself hobnobbing with the famous great thinkers and literary persons who used to frequent the cafe, and keep an eye out for the phantom across the street. And you may be sure that your stack of €100's will soon be reduced to a more manageable size, n'est-ce pas?
Or, as long as you're not charged per ATM withdrawal, withdraw €20, 10 times!

Quote: Strange article. Are they really criminalize having cash in Germany?
Is this a true statement?

What is considered "large" amount?

Oh, and this is so stupid:

Criminals would know about this before some officials will do...
That's the law in Israel as well. Money changers are legally required to ask people why they are changing large sums of cash.
As promised, here are the CVMs for the EMV cards that I have (sorry for the small images):

Andrews FCU GlobeTrek Rewards VISA

CitiAAdvantage Platinum VISA Signature

CitiAAdvantage Platinum World Elite Mastercard

Chase Hyatt VISA Signature
It seems like Andrews FCU is the one that has it all: Chip-and-Signature, No CVM, and offline Chip-and-PIN, in that order.

It was interesting to see that for CitiAAdvantage, there's a difference between the VISA (Chip-and-Signature, then No CVM) and the MC (Chip-and-Signature, online Chip-and-PIN, then No CVM).
Hawaii State FCU will begin issuing EMV cards tomorrow:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/n...ew-credit.html

It's unclear what "select employment groups" other than Hawaii state, Maui county, and Honolulu city and county employees and relatives can join, but for those who are eligible, it looks like it's not a too terrible card, with 1% cash back, no annual fee, and no FTF:

https://www.hsfcu.com/loans-a-lines-...dit-cards.html

It doesn't say but since it's a Visa I'm guessing its C&S.
Quote: Hawaii State FCU will begin issuing EMV cards tomorrow:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/n...ew-credit.html

It's unclear what "select employment groups" other than Hawaii state, Maui county, and Honolulu city and county employees and relatives can join, but for those who are eligible, it looks like it's not a too terrible card, with 1% cash back, no annual fee, and no FTF:

https://www.hsfcu.com/loans-a-lines-...dit-cards.html

It doesn't say but since it's a Visa I'm guessing its C&S.
If they contract out with PSCU there's a good chance it'll have a PIN (but would probably be signature priority).
Updated the Google Docs spreadsheet for the EMV cards that I have based on the CVM list that I found out for my own cards.

I really love the SCM-3500 reader. Small compact, and does the job, and only costed me less than $14.00! Thanks to the person who recommended me this! ^