Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:45 pm

Does Capital One have any kind of retention offer? If you call and say you'd like to cancel.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:41 am

Called today and I was unable to get the AF waived. I was successful the past three years but this year I have very little spend. I have the Sparks Business card. Is there any benefit to keeping the personal card? I put about 20K a year on the business card.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Annual fee for Venture card appeared on my statement this month. Called this morning, talked to an agent in Tampa and just asked if there was a retention offer available.
He clarified what I was asking for -- a credit of the fee and I said "yes or points to cover the fee." About 15 seconds and I was told that I was getting a "one time" credit equal to the annual fee of $59.
I guess one time a year since I've had this card since the match your miles offer in 2011 and never paid an annual fee.
My annual spend on this card is about $20,000 -- so the overall rebate is $400.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28

All of that assumes you don't do much Euro traveling as the Arrival is supposedly better for that.
What do you see as the Arrival benefits for international travel compared to Venture -- is the Arrival card chipped?
Only problem using my Venture card offshore (Europe, Asia, Australia) was topping up my Oyster card at the Underground station at Heathrow. And there was an agent who just processed the top up manually using the unchipped Venture card.
My experience is that exchange rates are equivalent.
Thanks.
tom
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by mot29
What do you see as the Arrival benefits for international travel compared to Venture -- is the Arrival card chipped?
Only problem using my Venture card offshore (Europe, Asia, Australia) was topping up my Oyster card at the Underground station at Heathrow. And there was an agent who just processed the top up manually using the unchipped Venture card.
The Arrival+ supports Chip & PIN (online & offline).
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by paranoiatx
The Arrival+ supports Chip & PIN (online & offline).
Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Schutzee
Called today and I was unable to get the AF waived. I was successful the past three years
You may call after the statement cycle cuts. A call after the fee posed but before cycle close got a "sorry we can't waive this year". A call back after the statement cycle closed and no problem, the fee was waived.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy
I took a look at some notes I'd written in my Capital One folder and saw that I was able to get the annual fee waived last year and that the representative told me this was a one-time waiver.

So, if I can't get the fee waived when it posts in 2 weeks, can I cancel the card and reapply for a new one? Is there a 'waiting period' if I want to do that?

Thank you.
I spoke too soon...I called today and they wouldn't waive the fee this year. They gave me the option of dropping down to a Venture 1 card or cancelling the Venture card I have.

I only have 10,000 Venture miles in my existing account...and I haven't used the card in over a year.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Called today and asked if there was a retention offer. Rep said we can credit the fee. Just need to read the disclosure. AF was on this statement. The rep said I'd see the credit in 3 days or less and to subtract it from my current statement balance. The venture used to be my go to card until cap one would not increase my limit, still like for no foreX fees. First time it's been waived for me.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:14 am

I spoke too soon...I called today and they wouldn't waive the fee this year. They gave me the option of dropping down to a Venture 1 card or cancelling the Venture card I have.

I only have 10,000 Venture miles in my existing account...and I haven't used the card in over a year.
Since they won't remove/credit my annual fee, can I 'move' the miles that I have on my existing Venture Reward account to the downgraded VentureOne Rewards account (if I should choose to take that downgrade)?

IF I decide just to cancel my Venture Reward account, how soon can I apply for a new Venture Reward account and get the sign-up bonus?

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:02 am

Since they won't remove/credit my annual fee,
Has a statement cycle with the annual fee closed?

Originally Posted by MyTravels
You may call after the statement cycle cuts. A call after the fee posed but before cycle close got a "sorry we can't waive this year". A call back after the statement cycle closed and no problem, the fee was waived.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:32 am

The annual fee posted on April 4 but the payment is due May 5. I have already called to ask to have the annual fee credited but they said they wouldn't because they did it last year.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:24 pm

I instructed DH it was time for his annual call to Capital One last week. He was on the phone all of 2 minutes - they instantly agreed to credit the $59 fee. He's had the card since 2011, and the fee has been waived every year (except year 2 before I knew about retention offers)! He spent about $4k on the card in the past 12 months.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:04 am

Since they won't remove/credit my annual fee, can I 'move' the miles that I have on my existing Venture Reward account to the downgraded VentureOne Rewards account (if I should choose to take that downgrade)?

IF I decide just to cancel my Venture Reward account, how soon can I apply for a new Venture Reward account and get the sign-up bonus?

Thanks.
Nothing to move. The points stay in your account, like UR if you convert a Sapphire Preferred to regular Sapphire.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:34 am

Called, mentioned the fee and that I had a different 2% card that doesn't have a fee and that I wanted to cancel. Immediately offered to waive the annual fee to keep my business. ~80k spend this year

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.