Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:15 pm

I am 4 months away from reaching my 2nd year.

Should i downgrade to the rewards, no AF card?
I mainly use my Chase Sapphire Pref.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:17 am

AF posted, called, and had the AF waived.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AOPA
Af posted, called and manager credit the $59 to my account. A lot of ms on the card
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:38 pm

Just called and told them I was considering canceling and asked about a fee waiver or credit. Immediately the representative offered a waiver which would appear in 3 days. Fastest and easiest call about annual fee I have ever made.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:24 pm

Received a credit for half the AF

Mint alerted me that the AF posted. I called in a couple of days later (today) and told the rep I was thinking of cancelling the card. I then asked for a fee waiver or credit. He said there was nothing he could do, but said he could check with the next level up. I was placed on hold for about 3-4 minutes before the rep came back on and told me they could credit me back half the annual fee. I went ahead an accepted it as I already have a Venture One card (fee free version). I'll probably cancel it come fee time next year.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:44 am

I contacted Capital One just before my annual fee posted and was offered no retention bonus. I contacted them again after the fee posted and was offered a statement credit for the full amount of the annual fee.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:36 am

Received 1,500 points as a goodwill gesture. . Will cash out and then cancel. Anyone know how many days I have until AF no longer refundable?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:04 pm

I called a couple months before AF was due. They approved for a fee waiver, however I had to call back once the AF posted. I did that last month and they waived the fee and it showed up as a credit on my statement before my statement even closed. I will probably cancel it when the fee comes around next year as well, unless they waive it again
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:32 am

My fee posted about 2 weeks ago. I have some rewards on account that I want to use still, so I called and asked how long i have to decide whether or not I want to cancel. She asked to put me on hold and then told me her supervisor let her waive the fee. I didn't even specifically ask. ^

As a frame of reference, after meeting the minimum for bonus, i used the card about $50-$100/month.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Wife had her AF waive last month. Only spent the minimum (3K) last year for the 50K bonus. Had not used it since March of last year.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:50 am

It sounds like it's very likely that the annual fee can be waived.

With that being said, is there a good reason to keep this card? Would there be a better card out there for someone that has a $30k -$35k/year credit card spend?

Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy
It sounds like it's very likely that the annual fee can be waived.

With that being said, is there a good reason to keep this card? Would there be a better card out there for someone that has a $30k -$35k/year credit card spend?

Thanks.
Given that Barclay arrival is tougher than Gitmo on waiving their Annual Fee vs. Venture1 which looks like a cakewalk to get waived, you'd have to spend 22.5K on your Arrival ($89 in year two) AF to beat the Venture1 after year one when Barclay AF is due.

All of that assumes you don't do much Euro traveling as the Arrival is supposedly better for that.

Last edited by DeltaNeutral28; Mar 13, 2015 at 8:39 am Reason: .
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:28 am

I took a look at some notes I'd written in my Capital One folder and saw that I was able to get the annual fee waived last year and that the representative told me this was a one-time waiver.

So, if I can't get the fee waived when it posts in 2 weeks, can I cancel the card and reapply for a new one? Is there a 'waiting period' if I want to do that?

Thank you.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy
I took a look at some notes I'd written in my Capital One folder and saw that I was able to get the annual fee waived last year and that the representative told me this was a one-time waiver.

So, if I can't get the fee waived when it posts in 2 weeks, can I cancel the card and reapply for a new one? Is there a 'waiting period' if I want to do that?

Thank you.
I closed a Venture card in January and was approved for another card last week.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:13 pm

Thanks for the info mmax1, what did they give you for a sign-up bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.