Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card [5% on gas, no annual fee]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of the PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card, described here: https://www.penfed.org/Platinum-Cash-Rewards/

Plus Version:
5% Cashback for Gas Purchases at the Pump
No cashback on other purchases
No annual fee

There is also a Standard Version:
3% Cashback for Gas Purchases at the Pump
No cashback on other purchases
$25 annual fee

To qualify for the Plus Card, you must hold one of these types of accounts:
  • Active checking account with direct deposit ($250 min.)
  • Money Market Certificate or IRA Certificate
  • Mortgage
  • Installment loan
  • Equity Loan or Equity Line of Credit
  • Thrifty Credit Service
  • Personal Line of Credit
  • Money Market Savings Accounts

Reports in this thread indicate the easiest method is to hold $25 in a Money Market Certificate.

Note: Much of the discussion at the beginning of the thread is about the introduction of a points-based card similar to this card, along with special offers to "upgrade" to that card. Additionally, there is a lengthy discussion about the introduction of the Standard vs. Plus tiering.

There are several similarly named PenFed cards. Please see the chart at the top of the
Master Thread: PenFed Family of Cards + Chip & PIN Questions to make sure you post in the correct thread!
Print Wikipost

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card [5% on gas, no annual fee]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I'm happy to report that I'm still chugging along and earning fairly decent rewards on this card.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I received the new chipped version of the Platinum rewards card for one of my accounts today.

My other account received an email stating that they were converting my to the Visa Signature version. As of now, I'm going to keep my existing benefits. We'll see what they do in the future.

I also received a soft CLI for about 1.5 times the limit
Old May 14, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I received the new chipped version of the Platinum rewards card for one of my accounts today.

My other account received an email stating that they were converting my to the Visa Signature version. As of now, I'm going to keep my existing benefits. We'll see what they do in the future.

I also received a soft CLI for about 1.5 times the limit
I had my card for about a month before I requested to be switched to the chip card. They closed my first account and opened a second so I now have two entries on my credit report for one card. Not sure if it will be different for you since they initiated the change, but just something to be aware of as it might drop your AAoA like it did for me.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23
I had my card for about a month before I requested to be switched to the chip card. They closed my first account and opened a second so I now have two entries on my credit report for one card. Not sure if it will be different for you since they initiated the change, but just something to be aware of as it might drop your AAoA like it did for me.
I kept the same number. It didn't hurt my AAoA.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:20 pm

I too am enjoying this card. It was a bit of a pain to get but now that I have it 5% is pretty nice to get. I wish I had this credit card when I moved cross country with the moving truck.

For me it is nice because you can get the rebate on diesel. When I had my old Shell MC with 5% they didn't rebate diesel purchases.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:21 am

Someone find a use for me to carry this 5% cashback card!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:35 am

I went through the hassle to become a PenFed member and get this card a few years ago (back when it was also 2% on groceries, and 1% on everything else).

Overall, it's been worthwhile- it's really convenient to have the cash rewards credited to the statement balance automatically.

If you buy gas at an Exxon station, I recommend registering this card with the Speedpass to get the 5% cashback without even taking out your wallet. Exxon also occasionally runs promotions.. worth looking into.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
I gave up on this.

After joining PenFed and using my Arrival to fund my checking account (and hoped to targeted for a GOOD CC offer), I let my balance duck under $500 because I was out of town and inattentive. Not to mention there was no branch nearby (got another bank mixed up with PenFed on a military base) to drop in once in awhile. Anyway, I got my 2000 Arrival points, two $10 service fees after about 5 months, and never did glean a good Penfed CC offer.

I called to close my checking. The old school customer service gal (which I will take anytime over hyper friendliness with no efficiency) offered to give me back the $20 in the mail via check along with my remaining balance and closed my account. I kept the share account open telling her I would like to STILL give myself the chance to try and get a good CC offer or car loan offer and she was fine with that.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jan 1, 2015 at 5:40 pm
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
I gave up on this.

After joining PenFed and using my Arrival to fund my checking account (and hoped to targeted for a GOOD CC offer), I let my balance duck under $500 because I was out of town and inattentive. Not to mention there was no branch nearby (got another bank mixed up with PenFed on a military base) to drop in once in awhile. Anyway, I got my 2000 Arrival points, two $10 service fees after about 5 months and never did glean a good Penfed CC offer.

I called to close my checking. The old school customer service gal (which I will take anytime over hyper friendliness with no efficiency) offered to give me back the $20 in the mail via check along with my remaining balance and closed my account. I kept the share account open telling her I would like to STILL give myself the chance to try and get a good CC offer or car loan offer and she was fine with that.
I received about 4 credit card offers along with a bunch of auto loan offers as well. I don't know why they like some people more than others. I need to get my checking account back with them.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by cincofone
I went through the hassle to become a PenFed member and get this card a few years ago (back when it was also 2% on groceries, and 1% on everything else).

Overall, it's been worthwhile- it's really convenient to have the cash rewards credited to the statement balance automatically.

If you buy gas at an Exxon station, I recommend registering this card with the Speedpass to get the 5% cashback without even taking out your wallet. Exxon also occasionally runs promotions.. worth looking into.
Its absolutely been a worthwhile card, and its stayed in my wallet for years now. Its the only card I use on gas, ever. No AF, dont need to worry about rotating categories. Redemption is super simple. Its still the single best card for gasoline IMO.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I don't know why they like some people more than others.
Credit can and does vary from person to person.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by takeshi74
Credit can and does vary from person to person.
I just refuse to take anything that doesn't give me a bonus or 0% for a limited time. I think the best I saw from PenFed was maybe 4.99 APR. You might say I'm picky.

BTW, got my PenFed check as described above, in maybe two days. Love banks that are efficient and do what they say. Maybe I'll get that 0% offer yet!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:40 am

Really looking for confirmation with this card, which I have yet to apply for. Wondering if anyone can help.

Trying to determine if 5x points are posted ONLY at the gas pump, or inside the gas station as well. ie, MCC code 5542 for "automated fuel dispenser" vs MCC code 5541 "service station".

Could anyone confirm? Attempt a purchase in-station and also at the pump, and see if only one or both earn points?

Would be looking to do a little gas-station MS with this card, so wanting to see if it is plausible.

Many thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Yes it is only with pay at the pump. But I only have a couple data points.

I had three pay@pump transactions at the same Meijer gas station and one inside purchase.
Gas: 91.51 total
Inside: 2.85
Reward 4.57 = .05 X 91.51

Note they always round your award down, so if you charged $199.99 you will get 9.99 in rewards.

My other data point is a Shell station in Scotland that did not have pay at the pump and received no rewards.

Even if you could find a station that coded an inside purchase as a pay at the pump I doubt you could MS for long. PenFed is very specific that it is pump only. $1000+ transactions will likely raise a flag pretty quick since pump transactions are typically limited to $100 or $150.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just curious when rewards post for this card? Do they only show up when the statement posts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.