Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:16 pm

IIRC there is an option to select an income range (ie., $0 - $25K per year). This would preclude your spouse from providing a "made-up" income.

Either way, the real challenge will come when your spouse is asked to provide proof of her business address. It can be done, as I and many others here have proven. However, Citi does require 2-3 forms of proof of business address.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Worst thing that happens is she gets denied and a credit pull lowering her credit score for nothing.

Use only her name as it appears on bank statements and utility bills as her business name. My experience is they have asked me to prove my business address using these docs or others that a non-business owner would not have.

For household income block put down what it is. For business revenue I listed 0 and been approved for a business card twice.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:43 pm

Put down 0 for income.
She has to call in to Citi as they need more information.
Can I just forget about it at this point?
What happens if you just leave an app hanging like that.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: AMEX Member Rewards
Originally Posted by Digable
Put down 0 for income.
If you don't call, at some point, probably 30 days, the app will cancel and just go away.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by Digable
Put down 0 for income.
Call and see what they want. I had to provide proof of business address and a bank statement and phone bill were options. I sent them in and about a week later got approved.

If they ask for something you can't provide, just let it go. The application will be void after 30 days.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:44 pm
Suspended

i don't have any business but i have amex simply business cash credit card since 2006 and recently got the amex gold business card,

anything will happen to me?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by zutmin
Worst case scenario is Citi refusing to approve her application for the card. Well worth the risk for 75K+ miles IMO.

I'm assumming that all info on her app will be truthful. Have her apply as a Sole Proprietor using her SSN# (in lieu of an EIN or Tax ID #).
Worst case is that Citi files a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) with Treasury for followup by the money laundering and/or tax (IRS) sides of the house. In the end, if it's an "innocent" error, that is applying for a card to which you weren't entitled, nothing is likely to come of it. But, it can be disruptive for a period of time.

Because business entity cards don't carry the newly upgraded consumer protections of Dodd-Frank and card issuers have a duty to assure that consumers get consumer cards, this isn't taken quite so lightly any more.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:24 pm
In memoriam

IMHO, still taken pretty lightly. Recently picked-up several biz cards for the bonuses and nobody said boo.

This is not to say that biz cards are so great--the lack of Fair Credit Billing Act protection is a big danger and I would never use a biz card except to get those juicy bonuses.

As for a SAR getting filed, I suspect your chances of getting hit in the head by a piece of falling sky are much greater. I heard that from Henny Penny.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Best Business Credit Card?

Hi all --

I'm a small biz owner (growing company) and have simply just used my biz checking account card for purchases. I'd like the flexibility of a credit line or sorts and also earn some miles. I'm based in SD and fly DL and UA/CO the most but prefer DL due to the wifi on flights. I know UA/CO has better perks (E+ and easier award redemption to name a few) and have seen the Explorer Biz Card offer 35k miles. The Delta Amex seems OK. Am I missing any others for these two programs? What card is best? Or is having none best (3 years in business and I've been fine w/o one so just a thought...)
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kdinino
I'm based in SD and fly DL and UA/CO
Based on your profile I think you mean San Diego, rather than South Dakota. How many employee cards would you need? What amount do you expect to spend annually on the business account? What type of rewards do you value? (If flights be specific: domestic/international, economy/premium etc.)
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:24 pm

Yes San diego. No employee cards and I would suspect anywhere from $10k to $25k if I shifted some transactions to pay via this card.

I would value domestic travel the most and availability of better seating and upgrades and lounge access. Int'l is great but my pool of miles is small and would need to rack up miles for a year plus.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:33 am

I would also lean towards a MC/Visa as it seems that Amex and I have a tough time getting Ok'd.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: AMEX Member Rewards
Originally Posted by kdinino
I would also lean towards a MC/Visa as it seems that Amex and I have a tough time getting Ok'd.
Bank of America has a new Business World Preferred MC Charge card. I love it. Got it the day they came out with it a few months ago. Since I PIF every month on all my cards, this was the way to go for me. I can charge 40-50K per month and get the world points, which I combine with my personal BA VISA world points. Just one option to consider. Another very similar type card is the Chase Ink which is VISA networked and also has to PIF each month.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:36 pm
bbd

I use and like the following cards

Amex Plum Card ( i am at the 2% back locked in, i think it is 1.5%)
There is a new capt one business card that gives 2% cash back also

Those are great for cash back.

Then if you want some with reward points, the chase, citi, boa are all good cards as well.

I have about 20-30 cards mix between business and personal and spend around 500+k a month on credit cards.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:01 pm
In memoriam

Best biz card is a personal card. @:-)

While the bank marketeers would have you believe there is something special and wonderful about a small biz owner having a biz card there isn't.

Instead, banks like biz cards because protections of Fair Credit Billing Act do not apply to biz cards.

ONLY reason to get a biz card is to get a good bonus. Once you get the bonus put it away.

Use personal cards at all other times.

I have had tons of biz cards and never use 'em except for bonus reasons.

Fair Credit Billing Act is your friend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.