Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 24, 12, 7:15 pm   #16
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YYZ
Posts: 519
I mostly find stuff on the star bland, but this was interesting...

http://www.moneyville.ca/blog/post/1...when-traveling
"For example, with my MBNA Platinum Plus Mastercard, all transactions made in a foreign currency will be converted to Canadian dollars. Then, an amount equal to 2.5 per cent of the converted transaction amount will be added to the total.

Meanwhile, my President’s Choice (PC) Financial Mastercard first converts all foreign transactions into U.S. dollars, and then into Canadian dollars, before charging a 2.5 per cent conversion fee."


Seems like PC financial mastercard does a double ding, by buying and selling USD (followed by a 2.5% fee)
I would love to know who else does this double ding. I was always under the impression that all of the cards operated like the MBNA one.
simba8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 12, 6:49 am   #17
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 334
And there is now movement on this in Canada. The first card with no foreign transaction fees in Canada comes from Chase:

Chase Amazon Visa

Chase has a microscopic foothold in Canada, primarily with their Sears cards and non-competitive Marriott card. Hard to say how big of an impact this new Amazon card will have, but it is the first to offer no forex fees.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 12, 12:55 pm   #18
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: YYC-LAS
Programs: AC Fly-Free-Forever Winner
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
And there is now movement on this in Canada. The first card with no foreign transaction fees in Canada comes from Chase:

Chase Amazon Visa

Chase has a microscopic foothold in Canada, primarily with their Sears cards and non-competitive Marriott card. Hard to say how big of an impact this new Amazon card will have, but it is the first to offer no forex fees.
You can't apply from above link. I called Chase Canada and they said the card is not ready until "maybe" next week.

Well, some guy from Redflagdeals found a loophole. He compared the Amazon U.S. and Amazon UK websites, and substitute with .ca, and low and behold, he found the actual link to apply for the card.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html

I applied and got instant approved and received $15 Amazon GC in my account.
cko64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 12, 11:28 pm   #19
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: YYC-LAS
Programs: AC Fly-Free-Forever Winner
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
And there is now movement on this in Canada. The first card with no foreign transaction fees in Canada comes from Chase:

Chase Amazon Visa

Chase has a microscopic foothold in Canada, primarily with their Sears cards and non-competitive Marriott card. Hard to say how big of an impact this new Amazon card will have, but it is the first to offer no forex fees.
Chase just added the "Apply Now" button from the website. It is official now, you can apply from the above website.
cko64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 12, 10:13 pm   #20
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: YXT
Programs: ACE50, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 242
It's great to see Chase bring in a card without forex fees. Even though I don't plan on getting that card, I'm hoping it'll spur other cc issuers to compete.

Even better would be Chase stepping up their Canadian offerings instead of offering second rate rewards cards. Dump the Marriott card and match the Hyatt card that's offered in the US. They could also bring in a Canadian version of their Sapphire Preferred (Crimson Preferred?) with no forex.
somedude3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 12, 10:04 am   #21
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: HHonors Gold, Accor Plat, US Silver, UA Silver
Posts: 1,275
I'd actually prefer that they allow cross-border applications. US->Canadian card for true Chip+PIN (or for C$ spending needs) and Canada->US card for other benefits.
jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 12, 8:54 am   #22
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,957
Interesting. At least you get essentially get 1% back on US purchases. I don't think the promote it very well though; I was on the chase canada site a few weeks ago, and saw the card - but not big display on no foreign transaction fees. Don't really think anyone will match though - it's a really nich[y] card.
yerffej201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 3:03 pm   #23
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, VX Silver, EK and WN. Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Fairmont and Hyatt
Posts: 625
Another Chase Canadian card added

Chase has added another card to the Canadian portfolio without FTF.

As posted here...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...visa-card.html

There is an annual fee of 120 CAD (waived the first year), but you do get an annual 1-5 free night certificate ever year you pay an annual fee (like the US one). A bit more expensive than the US version, but these things are market driven of course...

Rasheed
rasheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 12, 9:45 pm   #24
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 334
Actually, it seems Chase Canada has gone whole hog on "no forex fee". Aside from Amazon and Marriott, their Sears Mastercards also do not have Forex fees anymore. In fact, it seems that at present only their Best Buy Visa card still has a FTF.

Well done to Chase Canada for making this move! They may be a tiny player in the Canadian market, but hopefully this will get noticed and move some of the bigger players like RBC, CIBC and TD to follow suit.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 12, 2:08 pm   #25
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Actually, it seems Chase Canada has gone whole hog on "no forex fee". Aside from Amazon and Marriott, their Sears Mastercards also do not have Forex fees anymore. In fact, it seems that at present only their Best Buy Visa card still has a FTF.

Well done to Chase Canada for making this move! They may be a tiny player in the Canadian market, but hopefully this will get noticed and move some of the bigger players like RBC, CIBC and TD to follow suit.
And we need UR, but Marriott is a good start. ;D
yerffej201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 12, 9:57 pm   #26
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: YHZ
Posts: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by simba8 View Post
Seems like PC financial mastercard does a double ding, by buying and selling USD (followed by a 2.5% fee)
I would love to know who else does this double ding. I was always under the impression that all of the cards operated like the MBNA one.
Amex does. Just to be clear, the 2,5% are added only once.
sokolov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 12, 5:18 pm   #27
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West
Posts: 1,281
Sears MC can be added as no 2.5 % charges apply.
1Newflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 12, 8:31 am   #28
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: YHZ
Posts: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer View Post
Sears MC can be added as no 2.5 % charges apply.
Sears is one of the Chase cards. :-)
sokolov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 12, 9:16 am   #29
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: YYZ
Programs: CX*GO, SPG Platinum
Posts: 147
HSBC Premier is offering a new world mastercard that gives a 2% rebate. That largely offsets the 2.5% charge they put on foreign transactions. For zero annual fee that's pretty good.
stingray300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 12, 1:03 pm   #30
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray300 View Post
HSBC Premier is offering a new world mastercard that gives a 2% rebate. That largely offsets the 2.5% charge they put on foreign transactions. For zero annual fee that's pretty good.
Interesting.
yerffej201 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:38 pm.