Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Canadian Cards with no Foreign Transaction Fees

Canadian Cards with no Foreign Transaction Fees

Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:15 pm

I mostly find stuff on the star bland, but this was interesting...

http://www.moneyville.ca/blog/post/1...when-traveling
"For example, with my MBNA Platinum Plus Mastercard, all transactions made in a foreign currency will be converted to Canadian dollars. Then, an amount equal to 2.5 per cent of the converted transaction amount will be added to the total.

Meanwhile, my President’s Choice (PC) Financial Mastercard first converts all foreign transactions into U.S. dollars, and then into Canadian dollars, before charging a 2.5 per cent conversion fee."

Seems like PC financial mastercard does a double ding, by buying and selling USD (followed by a 2.5% fee)
I would love to know who else does this double ding. I was always under the impression that all of the cards operated like the MBNA one.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:49 am

And there is now movement on this in Canada. The first card with no foreign transaction fees in Canada comes from Chase:

Chase Amazon Visa

Chase has a microscopic foothold in Canada, primarily with their Sears cards and non-competitive Marriott card. Hard to say how big of an impact this new Amazon card will have, but it is the first to offer no forex fees.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC Fly-Free-Forever Winner
Originally Posted by Vasco
And there is now movement on this in Canada. The first card with no foreign transaction fees in Canada comes from Chase:

Chase Amazon Visa

Chase has a microscopic foothold in Canada, primarily with their Sears cards and non-competitive Marriott card. Hard to say how big of an impact this new Amazon card will have, but it is the first to offer no forex fees.
You can't apply from above link. I called Chase Canada and they said the card is not ready until "maybe" next week.

Well, some guy from Redflagdeals found a loophole. He compared the Amazon U.S. and Amazon UK websites, and substitute with .ca, and low and behold, he found the actual link to apply for the card.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html

I applied and got instant approved and received $15 Amazon GC in my account.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: AC Fly-Free-Forever Winner

Chase Amazon Visa

Chase just added the "Apply Now" button from the website. It is official now, you can apply from the above website.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
It's great to see Chase bring in a card without forex fees. Even though I don't plan on getting that card, I'm hoping it'll spur other cc issuers to compete.

Even better would be Chase stepping up their Canadian offerings instead of offering second rate rewards cards. Dump the Marriott card and match the Hyatt card that's offered in the US. They could also bring in a Canadian version of their Sapphire Preferred (Crimson Preferred?) with no forex.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I'd actually prefer that they allow cross-border applications. US->Canadian card for true Chip+PIN (or for C$ spending needs) and Canada->US card for other benefits.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:54 am

Interesting. At least you get essentially get 1% back on US purchases. I don't think the promote it very well though; I was on the chase canada site a few weeks ago, and saw the card - but not big display on no foreign transaction fees. Don't really think anyone will match though - it's a really nich[y] card.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Another Chase Canadian card added

Chase has added another card to the Canadian portfolio without FTF.

As posted here...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...visa-card.html

There is an annual fee of 120 CAD (waived the first year), but you do get an annual 1-5 free night certificate ever year you pay an annual fee (like the US one). A bit more expensive than the US version, but these things are market driven of course...

Rasheed
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:45 pm

Actually, it seems Chase Canada has gone whole hog on "no forex fee". Aside from Amazon and Marriott, their Sears Mastercards also do not have Forex fees anymore. In fact, it seems that at present only their Best Buy Visa card still has a FTF.

Well done to Chase Canada for making this move! They may be a tiny player in the Canadian market, but hopefully this will get noticed and move some of the bigger players like RBC, CIBC and TD to follow suit.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:08 pm

Actually, it seems Chase Canada has gone whole hog on "no forex fee". Aside from Amazon and Marriott, their Sears Mastercards also do not have Forex fees anymore. In fact, it seems that at present only their Best Buy Visa card still has a FTF.

Well done to Chase Canada for making this move! They may be a tiny player in the Canadian market, but hopefully this will get noticed and move some of the bigger players like RBC, CIBC and TD to follow suit.
And we need UR, but Marriott is a good start. ;D
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by simba8
Seems like PC financial mastercard does a double ding, by buying and selling USD (followed by a 2.5% fee)
I would love to know who else does this double ding. I was always under the impression that all of the cards operated like the MBNA one.
Amex does. Just to be clear, the 2,5% are added only once.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:18 pm

Sears MC can be added as no 2.5 % charges apply.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Sears MC can be added as no 2.5 % charges apply.
Sears is one of the Chase cards. :-)
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: CX*GO, SPG Platinum
HSBC Premier is offering a new world mastercard that gives a 2% rebate. That largely offsets the 2.5% charge they put on foreign transactions. For zero annual fee that's pretty good.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by stingray300
HSBC Premier is offering a new world mastercard that gives a 2% rebate. That largely offsets the 2.5% charge they put on foreign transactions. For zero annual fee that's pretty good.
Interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.