FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   [Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1266831-expired-citi-premier-50-000-ty-bonus-pts-500-worth-fee-free-first-year.html)

jonny1 Oct 7, 2011 8:51 am

[Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...-premier-card/

Get started with 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you make $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months - redeemable for great rewards, including $500 in gift cards or $665 in airfare when you redeem through the ThankYou Travel Center

Enjoy no foreign transaction fee on purchases when you use your Citi ThankYou Premier Card

Annual Fee: $125.00 However, this fee is waived for the first 12 months.

Detail:
Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you make $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months - redeemable for great rewards, including $500 in gift cards or $665 in airfare when you redeem through the ThankYou Travel Center.3

1 ThankYou Point for every $1 you spend on purchases. Plus, earn 1.2 ThankYou Points per $1 spent - that's 20% more points - when you use your card at supermarkets, gas stations, drugstores, commuter transportation and parking merchants.2

Earn points for the miles you fly when you purchase a ticket with your Citi ThankYou Premier Card.2

No foreign transaction fee on purchases, as long as you use your Citi ThankYou Premier Card.1

Receive an annual complimentary domestic companion ticket (within the continental USA) and a 15% discount when booking air travel through our travel benefits provider, Spirit Incentives.3

Get 33% more value for your ThankYou Points when you redeem for airfare through the ThankYou Travel Center. For example: 50,000 points can be redeemed for $665 in airfare, which would typically require 66,500 points. Enjoy this benefit on any airline with no blackout dates.

Earn an anniversary bonus on points earned from purchases every year.2 The longer you are a cardmember, the bigger the bonus will be - up to 5% after you are a cardmember for 4 years or more.

Earn bonus points when you sign up for Paperless Statements and Account Online.3

With no points cap and no expiration of points, there’s no limit to the points you can earn.

Redeem ThankYou Points for almost anything, from a large selection of gift cards including dining, entertainment and retail - to valuable rewards such as electronics, travel rewards, home goods, books, charitable donations or even cash.

Enjoy two simple ways to redeem your points for the rewards you want. You can either visit thankyou.com where your rewards are just a few clicks away, or you can redeem points by calling
1-800-THANKYOU (1-800-842-6596).

Igor718 Oct 7, 2011 8:55 am

what airlines do these transfer to???

mia Oct 7, 2011 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Igor718 (Post 17235536)
what airlines do these transfer to???

None. ThankYou Points can be used to purchase airfare through the booking engine on thankyou.com, in which case they are worth $0.0133 each. Otherwise, they can redeemed for giftcards and are worth $0.01 each or less.

ThankYou Rewards is more complicated than most card programs, and Citi tinkers with it periodically. If you invest the time to fully understand and use the Flight Points feature you can earn > 2.66% with this card, but if you are looking for instant gratification this probably isn't the card for you byond the initial bonus which is actually worth $665 (not $500).

Extensive discussion is in the Credit Card Programs section of Flyertalk.

jonny1 Oct 7, 2011 9:11 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17235576)
None. ThankYou Points can be used to purchase airfare through the booking engine on thankyou.com, in which case they are worth $0.0133 each. Otherwise, they can redeemed for giftcards and are worth $0.01 each or less.

ThankYou Rewards is more complicated than most card programs, and Citi tinkers with it periodically. If you invest the time to fully understand and use the Flight Points feature you can earn > 2.66% with this card, but if you are looking for instant gratification this probably isn't the card for you byond the initial bonus which is actually worth $665 (not $500).

Extensive discussion is in the Credit Card Programs section of Flyertalk.

I guess i can't get this awesome offer becos i recently got approved and have the citi aadvantange amex and citi aadvantage visa?
points from this card is totally different from the miles earned from citi aadvantage cards right? i can't combined the citi points and miles to use once for international trip?

Igor718 Oct 7, 2011 9:14 am

MIA ... thanks for clarifying.
not worth it for me.

mia Oct 7, 2011 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 17235618)
i can't combined the citi points and miles to use once for international trip?

The AA cards AAdvantage miles which are redeemed through American Airlines. The Premier card earn ThankYou Points which are redeemed through Citi. There is no way to combine or exchange between these two rewards programs.

In principle you could purchase an economy class ticket using ThankYou Points, and then use AAdvantage miles to upgrade to business class (but you need to verify availability for the upgrade award, and understand the co-payment required) -or- you could use miles to purchase one ticket and the points to purchase another ticket.

jonny1 Oct 7, 2011 9:46 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17235761)
The AA cards AAdvantage miles which are redeemed through American Airlines. The Premier card earn ThankYou Points which are redeemed through Citi. There is no way to combine or exchange between these two rewards programs.

In principle you could purchase an economy class ticket using ThankYou Points, and then use AAdvantage miles to upgrade to business class (but you need to verify availability for the upgrade award, and understand the co-payment required) -or- you could use miles to purchase one ticket and the points to purchase another ticket.

thanks, can i book international trip to asia, INDIA from the 50k thank you points and than pay the balance with card?

thank you points and chase sapphire prefered card points are about the same?

MilesTalk Oct 7, 2011 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 17235824)
thanks, can i book international trip to asia, INDIA from the 50k thank you points and than pay the balance with card?

You would be able to pay $665 worth of your ticket with the 50,000 points and the rest would have to be paid in cash.

jcmitchell21 Oct 7, 2011 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 17235618)
I guess i can't get this awesome offer becos i recently got approved and have the citi aadvantange amex and citi aadvantage visa? Why not? the only reason is the 60 day 2 app rule.
points from this card is totally different from the miles earned from citi aadvantage cards right? i can't combined the citi points and miles to use once for international trip? Someone correct me if I am incorrect in thinking. Could you use these points to pay for the high tax/fees of an award booking?

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 17235824)
thanks, can i book international trip to asia, INDIA from the 50k thank you points and than pay the balance with card? The card can pay for anything you want to use it. The points on the other hand ...

thank you points and chase sapphire prefered card points are about the same? basically, except they don't transfer. but these kind of points can be great if you need to take a mileage run for status. your flight is paid for by points and you earn elite miles.

factory81 Oct 7, 2011 1:20 pm

I think this offer is okay. The 2.5k spend and $125 annual fee is kind of meh, but $665 worth of airfare isn't a bad deal. What if I spend $400 and have $265 remaining and need to pay for the remainder of a ticket with cash, can you redeem 265 + personal out of pocket cash?

mnscout Oct 7, 2011 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by factory81 (Post 17236940)
I think this offer is okay. The 2.5k spend and $125 annual fee is kind of meh, but $665 worth of airfare isn't a bad deal. What if I spend $400 and have $265 remaining and need to pay for the remainder of a ticket with cash, can you redeem 265 + personal out of pocket cash?

Considering the annual fee is waived for the first year it's $125 better than just OK. Too bad I got on a CC enrollment spree just a week ago. Won't probably get approved with all the recent inquiries.

LAX_Esq Oct 7, 2011 2:01 pm

Anyone who got this last time around try to churn it?

eknock007 Oct 7, 2011 2:31 pm

I got a 30-day message. I guess I am a no go. Had some trips planned through Memorial Day weekend and would have liked to paid the airfare with this card.

beltway Oct 7, 2011 2:56 pm

One additional benefit that I don't recall seeing mentioned: the TYP redemption options for gift cards are better -- both in number and value per point -- than for "vanilla" Citi TYP-earning cards such as CitiForward. Discussion at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...giftcards.html

Happy Oct 7, 2011 7:51 pm

For those who are considering this card, they should take some time to understand how the reward system works, especially the "flight points" earned when you use the card to purchase an airline ticket. You earn flight points at 1 flown mile = to 1 flight point when you use the card to purchase the ticket. So if you buy a Transcon ticket with a flown miles of 5,000, using this card, you earn 5,000 flight points.

Flight points by themselves are useless. However they will turn into Thank You point when they are matched at 1 to 1 ratio with the "Purchase Points", i.e. the points earned via spending. In the past, the sign up bonus is eligible to match the flight point. Dont know if it is still the case or not. If it is still the case, that you have another potential 50K worth when you buy tickets using this card.

The points can ONLY be used at Thank You Network - Citi's TYP award redemption site. By default, you cannot use the TYPs to pay for taxes or anything, on the award ticket redeemed from AA or any airline - TYP has NOTHING to do with any airline. It is a Citi In-House reward program.

With this card, you can redeem the TYPs for Gift Cards at 1 penny per point value, such as $50 would be 5000 pts.

However, the biggest value of the TYP is to redeem for airline tickets when you hold this card, if the full airfare is paid by TYPs, you get a 25% discount. i.e. if the ticket costs $400, it only costs you 30,000 TYPs to redeem. Flights must be booked from TYN site which offers most flights you can find directly from airlines own sites. In my experiences, 100% match. The 25% discount only available when the FULL airfare is paid by TYPs. If you use Point + Cash, you lose the 25% discount.

The tickets redeemed with TYPs are revenue tickets and they earn miles. (they dont earn flight points, even if you use Point + Cash).

This card also has 0% forex fee.

It is a good card for those who fly a lot because of the "flight point" feature.

Some of us have this card (the previous version) since 2006 when it was first introduced. Even after 2 major devaluations, it is still a "keep" card. :)