Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citibank- Maximum Credit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Citibank- Maximum Credit

Today I applied for and was approved for a Citibank Credit Card. However, when my approval was granted the agent said I have now reached the maximum of credit that Citibank will give.

I have been thinking about applying for an new Aadvantage card in a couple of months (as it will be 18-24 months since my last app) and am planning on closing another card at that time (as its annual fee was coming up at that time) but am wondering if the message I recieved today may have any negative consequences moving forward.

Needless to say, any insights would be very much appreciated.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:43 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ddfr
Today I applied for and was approved for a Citibank Credit Card. However, when my approval was granted the agent said I have now reached the maximum of credit that Citibank will give.
Assuming your income and credit history/score don't change, you have a very valuable piece of information.

If this were Chase, it would be easy to act on that - next time you apply for a card, you'd call the reconsideration line and ask to move credit and/or close the extra card at that point.

Citi is less consistent. Sometimes they'll let you move credit and/or close at reconsideration. Sometimes they won't.

Also keep in mind, many of us are finding that if we proactively cancel a card, it can take 3-6 months for that open credit to become available again.

Sounds like you may need to work that into your calendar.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
I assume you weren't approved immediately and had to call in? Otherwise, I don't think they will mention that.

What you can try is to have them move your credit around if they won't approve you for your next card.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:16 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I've asked before but no one seems to know.

Say he got denied today since they don't want to offer him more credit. In 3 months he gets a 10k income raise and submits his new income on his next AOR, won't there be an extra 10k for them to work with?

I'm assuming all instant approval calculations are done by a computer. It just takes X value entered in the income field and and then runs the calculations... No?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
Say he got denied today since they don't want to offer him more credit. In 3 months he gets a 10k income raise and submits his new income on his next AOR, won't there be an extra 10k for them to work with?
This sounds like an excellent experiment; one where you're better off either way. Let us know what happens.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:05 pm

Does anyone know whether Citi's maximum credit is combined personal+biz or just personal alone?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:07 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Had to do the switcheroo last month with BoA 2x HA. Working really hard on that raise, I think its gonna happen. Lets hope the deal stays open so we can finally put this one in the books.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:02 pm

When I applied for 2 Citibank AAdvantage cards (Visa and Amex), I had to call in and move some credit limits around to get approval. They said I was close to reaching the maximum amount of credit Citibank could extend to me.

Prior to moving credit around, I only had 2 other Citibank cards, a ThankYou card as well as an old Dividend card, with a combined credit limit of $40K.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
I'd think they wouldn't approve you for another 10k just because your income raises by 10k. In my experience, computer seems to like to offer CL 20% of annual income (of course, that's not always the case)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.