Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It isn't a "pass" in the sense of the WN's. It is a "cert" for one-time use.

You mean you receive the companion cert which does not have an expiration date? This is not what usually it is done. All AA certs carry an expiration date AFAIK, and the code of the companion cert would bring up the details, incl the expiration date in AA marketing's system when you call to book.

Oh, yeah, the companion cert can only be booked via phone call, so that means you are out $25 x 2 on the phone booking fee (the Pay and the companion ticket.)
Apologies for the semantics as it could confuse those that haven't read the entire thread.

I did not receive anything, just was told by CSR that the there was a certificate included in this offer. I am assuming I'll receive an expired "cert" in a few weeks.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyin
Apologies for the semantics as it could confuse those that haven't read the entire thread.

I did not receive anything, just was told by CSR that the there was a certificate included in this offer. I am assuming I'll receive an expired "cert" in a few weeks.
We dont have data points on the cert from folks who applied recently.

Those of us who applied in March or earlier this year, got the cert with expiration date of June 30, because the offer officially expired in Dec 2011. Cert carries 6 months validity hence the June 30 date. I know ours arrived sometime in May with application in early March. We left home on Apr 28 for a month-long trip in Europe. We did not get the cert before our departure, and found it in the mail pile upon return. So it took 2 months for the cert to arrive with one month to expiration.

It remains to be seen for the new batch of folks who got their cards recently, whether they get a cert that they can actually use. Hopefully it is the usable one as the cert does not have $ spend requirement, and applicable to virtually ALL fare codes AA sells, including the el cheapo fare codes. The only limitation is it can only be used for travel within lower 48. And can only be booked by calling AA marketing.

The cert is actually not bad comparing to the past offering that required booking the high price fare codes.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 2, 2012 at 9:39 pm
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by cyin

I don't know what I'm getting beyond the 50k miles and $100 credit, but I don't care. I have two "free companion" upgrades on DL that I use every year and I have one for $99 I won't be able to use. So I'd I get the passes, that's fine. And if I don't get anything more that's fine too.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:07 pm

data points

I got the personal and business visas when they were 75k...cancelled the business when year was up got the personals annual fee waived and kept it.
June 8th applied with 2 browser trick and links found on FT for personal Amex and MC...instantly approved for both. when I called to activate they both asked me about my original card but didnt care that it was still open.
I confirmed the perks as 40k for 3k spend in 3 months on the MC. I asked a couple of times to confirm because the current offer on their site is 30k and the offers I thought were linked to here were for 50k....rep swore it was 40k with a $100 AA discount after 1k spend, 10% back on mile redemptions, free bags...blah blah blah, nothing about passes or certs.
Then I get same rep to activate the Amex and confirm that it is 50k with 3k spend in 4 months, $100 statement credit after AA purchase in first year, extra miles for AA purchases.

I really wish there were better links to the offer pages showing all this, I mean they approved both for me, so I can't complain. fee waived for first year, 3k spend in 3 or 4 months, for 90k points like someone said the rest is gravy..cant complain...next I guess I can get the business card again, and might as well cancel the personal visa to be eligible for it again, sooner than later.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:12 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wise2u
I confirmed the perks as 40k for 3k spend in 3 months on the MC. I asked a couple of times to confirm because the current offer on their site is 30k and the offers I thought were linked to here were for 50k....
That's why the advice here has been to apply for Visa and Amex... don't recall ever seeing a MC offer higher than 40k
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:17 pm

I got the personal and business visas when they were 75k...cancelled the business when year was up got the personals annual fee waived and kept it.
June 8th applied with 2 browser trick and links found on FT for personal Amex and MC...instantly approved for both. when I called to activate they both asked me about my original card but didnt care that it was still open.
I confirmed the perks as 40k for 3k spend in 3 months on the MC. I asked a couple of times to confirm because the current offer on their site is 30k and the offers I thought were linked to here were for 50k....rep swore it was 40k with a $100 AA discount after 1k spend, 10% back on mile redemptions, free bags...blah blah blah, nothing about passes or certs.
Then I get same rep to activate the Amex and confirm that it is 50k with 3k spend in 4 months, $100 statement credit after AA purchase in first year, extra miles for AA purchases.

I really wish there were better links to the offer pages showing all this, I mean they approved both for me, so I can't complain. fee waived for first year, 3k spend in 3 or 4 months, for 90k points like someone said the rest is gravy..cant complain...next I guess I can get the business card again, and might as well cancel the personal visa to be eligible for it again, sooner than later.
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
That's why the advice here has been to apply for Visa and Amex... don't recall ever seeing a MC offer higher than 40k
As far as I remember the MC link was for 40k miles. The people who went for that did it because they specifically wanted MC and VISA and not AMEX and VISA. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:48 pm

June 8th applied with 2 browser trick.
So how many months between your 75k applications to June 8?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MC's offer is totally different. Ours is 40K after $1K spend, companion cert and NO Passes NO statement credit. I dont think it ever does.

We picked MC because:
1) we did not want an AMEX, several of our service providers dont take AMEX. State Farm, our insurance provider only takes Visa / MC, for example. And that is several Ks spend right there.
2) it was only $1K spend. Yes, we know we would lose $100 statement credit for the AMEX, but the $1K spend trumps the $3K spend as we dont want to engage in artificial spend on this one which has only 4 months timeframe as we may have to do the artificial spend on other cards, and do not want to sit on too many GCs for future use. (I have a tendency to misplace GCs! )
3) we do not care for the companion cert.

One really needs to pick and choose carefully on what one applies AND keeps a detailed records as much as possible even though the landing pages no longer available - one should not complain about the disappearance of the landing pages which are pulled by the banks. One should be grateful that the application pages are still available and working.

One way to keep good records is, to make screenshot of EACH offer one is interested in while the landing page is still available - this should help one to remember what is what later on.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 3, 2012 at 11:49 am
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Correct. There is one version that has $2K spend for 40K in 4 months, and then $5K in 12 months get you another 10K. However nobody ever reports back whether the $5K includes the initial $2K or an additional $5K.

Originally Posted by alexro
As far as I remember the MC link was for 40k miles. The people who went for that did it because they specifically wanted MC and VISA and not AMEX and VISA. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
That is exactly one of the reasons why we went for MC not AMEX. The $1K spend also helps.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Citi AA card without USS SSN

Has anyone had experience applying for a card without a US Social Secuirty number?

My parents fly AA regulalrly, and want to get this card to save on baggage fees.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:01 pm

Does the companion cert allow the flyer earn miles?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by dave_SEA
Has anyone had experience applying for a card without a US Social Secuirty number?

My parents fly AA regulalrly, and want to get this card to save on baggage fees.
add them as authorized users to your account
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
I got a targeted offer of 60K miles (30K after first 1K$ spent within the first 4 months and another 30K after 15$ spent within the first 12 months). You have the choice for the Visa, Amex and Biz Visa card. Has anyone received any better offers?
I got approved for 2 personal cards 2 months ago so I'm thinking about applying for the biz card.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
I got a targeted offer of 60K miles (30K after first 1K$ spent within the first 4 months and another 30K after 15$ spent within the first 12 months). You have the choice for the Visa, Amex and Biz Visa card. Has anyone received any better offers?
I got approved for 2 personal cards 2 months ago so I'm thinking about applying for the biz card.
Any links you can share?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 7:08 am

Found an advertised deal on their site: 50k miles after 2.5k spend w/in 4 months + 2 admiral club passes. Not quite as good as the 50k after 3k spend + $100 credit but at least it's advertised and therefore more defendable in case there are issues. Found it just my googling "citi aa 50k"

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...C39D5D1817583C

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.