Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jatink129
P.S- Did you find the snow leopard?
I did, nothing goes by me
Old May 19, 2013, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Are you sure it is not Up To, instead of After 1st? The link on first page said Up To.
I'm not sure until I buy something small from AA and see, but what I wrote in the thread was a direct copy/paste from chat with a citi agent. For me, that is enough proof.
Old May 19, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stubtify
I'm not sure until I buy something small from AA and see, but what I wrote in the thread was a direct copy/paste from chat with a citi agent. For me, that is enough proof.
Please report back of the outcome then the first page could be updated with more accurate info. Thanks.
Old May 19, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Rep said I could re-apply in 60 days as the rule was one Platinum card every 60 days. I'll have to see how that statement plays out.
The only consistent rule seems to be that the rules are always changing. Oh, and only one personal card per day.

I'm kind of kicking myself for getting Gold MC without trying for Plat Visa first a month ago - thought I had no shot at it after getting Plat MC (40K) and Plat AMEX in January, just before the 2-browser trick died.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Stubtify
Data Point:

Have had the Personal Visa almost 3 years. Used the personal amex link in post #1, applied using chrome, reached step 5, and approved after chat. Was told the offer is:

45k miles after spending $5,000 in 4 months, $150.00 statement credit on first AA purchase within 12 months, AdmrlClubPass, 2 miles for AA Purchases within 12 months.

Small AA purchase here I come!
Unfortunately, the original landing page said up to a $150 credit on an AA purchase. That means that it will be an dollar for dollar credit match per dollar spent up to $150. So if you charge $5 on an AA flight, you will only get a $5 statement credit. You can buy several of those cheese and cracker boxes for $150, though.
Old May 19, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Any working Biz Visa links? PM please...
Old May 20, 2013, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Husband had a pair of MC / Visa from 13 months ago. MC was canceled a couple months ago but we kept the Visa which received $85 credit retention offer.

Encouraged by recent reported data points, we just applied another Visa thru the No.1 link. Got to chat but during the process of reallocating CLs, the chat rep's system went down - she needed to restart her computer so would lose our chat. She told us to call the status line to finish the process.

Called and talked to a rep at Maryland. Closed a HHonor Visa to move entire line to the AA Visa. Mission accomplished.

Many thanks for those who tried and reported back success in the past week.
Hi happy (long time ). Did you mean that you applied for #2 in the first post? Thanks
Old May 20, 2013, 5:49 am

So I guess my question never really got answered a few days ago, because people seem to keep talking about some 50k business visa in their run down of how to "app-o-rama" this card. Where do I find access to that? Or is it just old info?
Old May 20, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cutnana
Hi happy (long time ). Did you mean that you applied for #2 in the first post? Thanks
Hi cutnana, yes, it is no.2.

Originally Posted by LizSchwartz
So I guess my question never really got answered a few days ago, because people seem to keep talking about some 50k business visa in their run down of how to "app-o-rama" this card. Where do I find access to that? Or is it just old info?
Not directly answered but if you read the thread, you would have already gotten your answer, multiple times, just in the past 2 days. Didn't people said no working link any more? What else you ask for, especially you dont even specify it in your follow-up post?
Old May 20, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by jeanie
Unfortunately, the original landing page said up to a $150 credit on an AA purchase. That means that it will be an dollar for dollar credit match per dollar spent up to $150. So if you charge $5 on an AA flight, you will only get a $5 statement credit. You can buy several of those cheese and cracker boxes for $150, though.
Well, buying $150 worth of cheese/crackers in-flight would get credit for only: $112.5 as there is 25% discount for in-flight purchases

Cheers!
Old May 20, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fromfall98
Well, buying $150 worth of cheese/crackers in-flight would get credit for only: $112.5 as there is 25% discount for in-flight purchases

Cheers!
You got it wrong.

The 25% discount is NOT given up front based on the T&Cs. The discount would show up as a Statement Credit in 6 to 8 weeks after the transaction. It works the same way as the 10% rebate of AA redemption - shows up in your AA account in subsequent month(s) depends on the batch process working smoothly or glitched out.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by jatink129

I ended up creating a wiki out of the information I gathered. Hope it's accurate and has all the important information.
that's awesome, thanks so much for your hard work!

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
The only consistent rule seems to be that the rules are always changing. Oh, and only one personal card per day.

I'm kind of kicking myself for getting Gold MC without trying for Plat Visa first a month ago - thought I had no shot at it after getting Plat MC (40K) and Plat AMEX in January, just before the 2-browser trick died.
i'm not sure if getting the gold MC would preclude you from getting the plat visa? thank you for your datapoint tho - i didnt know it was possible to get both the plat mc and gold mc in such a short time frame. may need to try it myself soon
Old May 20, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Ok... so finally got approved for Visa (Link 2). Already have AA MC, AA Visa and AA Amex..
Applied via Link 3 and was told that the link had expired and I need to apply again.

Can any one post the link to the pages where folks were told about expired links and somehow the card showed up after few weeks?
Old May 20, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Do you all have any thoughts on if it's easier to get 1 biz 1 personal approved within a few days of each other, or 2 personals?

Currently have 1 Amex 1 Visa, both at the 2 year mark approximately. Never had a biz.

Was thinking about Amex personal then Visa personal or Amex personal then Biz MC.
Old May 20, 2013, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I am citigold but I don't have the plat MC now, so not sure how to apply this offer.
thanks for reminding us of this offer! i remember seeing cards with good bonuses after higher spends at the citi branch last week but couldn't remember the details. this may be just the card for family members who want to use just one card, not 3 or 4, every quarter lol! will have to stop by citi this week to inquire about this card - hopefully current amex/visa cardholders (13 months) will be eligible...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.