Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Been re-reading the thread a bit today and wanted to double check a couple things.

I applied for and was accepted for AA Amex and AA Visa over 18 months ago(still have both cards). If I cancel the VISA and/or AMEX today can I apply for the personal visa tomorrow(using link 3)? Sounds like I can since it only matters how long ago it is that you applied and not when you cancel.

Then, in a few days I can apply for the 30k MC offer and 60 days after that I could then go and do the business visa(using link 3). Does that all sound ok?
~18 months has been a good average, YMMV on the exact timing. There are reports of denials up to 24 months but I would give it a shot, I was approved after 17 months. Cancelling a card will accomplish nothing except reducing the amount of credit you have available (to move around). Otherwise you are on the right track.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
~18 months has been a good average, YMMV on the exact timing. There are reports of denials up to 24 months but I would give it a shot, I was approved after 17 months. Cancelling a card will accomplish nothing except reducing the amount of credit you have available (to move around). Otherwise you are on the right track.
So I can have two personal AA visas? That doesn't seem right. I only still have both those cards(aa visa and aa amex) b/c every time I call in to cancel, they give me another year for free haha
Old May 6, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
So I can have two personal AA visas? That doesn't seem right.
Yup... I got 2 AA Visa Plat within less than 12 months of each other. If I can just get the AA MC Gold 30K now life will be good.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:06 pm

Received my platinum select visa from the 45k, $150 credit, 2 AC passes link. Called tonight to activate and confirm bonus...all confirmed but the passes.....after a ten minute hold CSR comes back to say that the card comes with "automatic" lounge access as long as you hold he card....and allows up to $500 of purchases.

Does this sound accurate? I kinda got the feeling that the rep didn't know much about e offer. I plan to call agin tomorrow.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Originally Posted by deedle
Received my platinum select visa from the 45k, $150 credit, 2 AC passes link. Called tonight to activate and confirm bonus...all confirmed but the passes.....after a ten minute hold CSR comes back to say that the card comes with "automatic" lounge access as long as you hold he card....and allows up to $500 of purchases.

Does this sound accurate? I kinda got the feeling that the rep didn't know much about e offer. I plan to call agin tomorrow.
highly doubt that... You should be getting 2 AC passes in the mail about 2 months after receiving the card. I think the CSR was misinformed.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
I'm a 20 year old college student, 35k income, ~730s across the board, oldest accounts opened or AMEX backdated to 07/11. Perfect payment history, low utilization.

Applied Citi AA 50k AMEX & Citi AA 30k Visa 01/13, approved with $6500 & $2000 CL's respectively.

Applied Citi TYPref. & AA 30k Plat Select World MC 04/13, after moving credit around, approved for $3500 and $2500 CL's.
+1 for the note. She is actually at $40k and 720, so I'm telling her to give it a shot..
Old May 7, 2013, 9:44 am

So I can have two personal AA visas? That doesn't seem right. I only still have both those cards(aa visa and aa amex) b/c every time I call in to cancel, they give me another year for free haha
I have 2 AA Visas. I got the second one just over 18 months after I applied for the first one. The first one had the annual fee waived so I kept it, but that didn't prevent me from getting the second with another 50k bonus.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat...basically all the status you can get for free...
another data point

Applied for Personal Visa using link on post #1 on 4/30. Instantly approved, and card arrived 5/6. Confirmed via secure message that offer was 50k miles for $2,500 spend.

The next day (5/1), I applied for the Citi Business Visa using the links on page #1. Application is still pending; after multiple calls, I'm hearing that it has been held up as a "fraud review" issue. I'm not sure what's taking so long, but I'm still holding out hope that I'll ultimately be approved since the application wasn't on the same day.

Thanks so much to all who have made this thread so useful!
Old May 7, 2013, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Long Islander
I have 2 AA Visas. I got the second one just over 18 months after I applied for the first one. The first one had the annual fee waived so I kept it, but that didn't prevent me from getting the second with another 50k bonus.
Wow that's good to know. I guess I'll apply for the AA Visa then today, wait a few days then do the business visa. AFter 60-65 days I should be able to apply for the 30k MC Gold offer too right?

Or do I have the order messed up? MC Gold after a few days, then AA Visa Business 65 days later?

Originally Posted by Maz67
Yup... I got 2 AA Visa Plat within less than 12 months of each other. If I can just get the AA MC Gold 30K now life will be good.
When was the last visa plat that you got? When are you going to apply for the aa mc gold 30k offer?

Last edited by wholeinone04; May 7, 2013 at 12:41 pm Reason: add
Old May 7, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold

When was the last visa plat that you got? When are you going to apply for the aa mc gold 30k offer?
My first v-plat was November 2012. I want to say my second v-plat came in December 2012 but I am at my home in Mexico until tomorrow and the card is in the sock drawer back in Arizona.

The only reason I haven't applied for the MC Gold from down here is because I want to verify when I got it. Tomorrow night I will pull it from the drawer and I will probably take my stab at the Gold MC.

Last edited by Maz67; May 7, 2013 at 10:01 pm
Old May 7, 2013, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by dogbyte
I am going to be on a flight on AA in 2 weeks. Would purchasing a drink on the flight allow me to qualify for the $150 statement credit?
Originally Posted by nakataboi
Has to be an official AA purchase. I did a $50 virtual gift card on AA.com.

Some people have also just bought a drink/meal on an AA flight. That counts too (and would be the cheapest)
I know this has been the common wisdom (as recited in post #1987), but my very recent experience was to the contrary.

In brief, flew in early April on a mainline flight and bought both food & a drink. Statement closed in late April without $150 credit. Upon making online inquiry, received this reply today from Citi:
Thank you for contacting us.

Your purchases did not qualify for the $150.00 statement credit. Eligible purchases are determined by the billing code submitted by American Airlines. We do not control how merchants identify and bill transactions.
Maddening.

I should add that luggage fees (incurred using previous cards) absolutely did trigger credit.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by jimbous
Same here.
Received a $50 statement refund from AA for the AA gift card purchased a few weeks ago.
AND received the $150 statement credit.
No complaints! Got the $150 credit without spending anything.

NOW the AA gift card shows as invalid:

"We are sorry but we have encountered a problem activating your American Airlines Gift Card. Please contact the sender of this card to advise them you were unable to retrieve your gift. We apologize for any inconvenience."

An email from AA after trying to access the card:

"Johnxxx XXXXDoe was unable to retrieve your $50.00 American Airlines Gift Card bought on April ##, 2013. Please contact our Incentive TrAAvel team at 800.677.9555 if you have questions."
This is so bizzare. The same thing has happened to me as well. At one point, I actually retrieved the gift card- so it was working. And now the link fails.

I'm not complaining, as I also have received the credit with an effective $0 spend.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Plt
Data Point: A friend got an AA Platinum World MasterCard late last year and just this week applied for and was instantly approved for the AA 30k Gold MC...so looks like the Gold 30k works for all Visa,Amex,and MasterCard at well under the 18 mos limit.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:04 am

Anyone have a link to the AA Gold Mastercard for 30k?
Old May 8, 2013, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Does anybody have links for offers for personal card which are better than the ones in the first post? Looking for offers with lower spend requirement and/or statement credit. TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.