Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
AC Passes

Got the Amex and Visa in mid-February and finally got 2 lounge passes in the mail yesterday (about 10 weeks for delivery). They expire on 12/31/13 and no way to tell if they're from the Amex or Visa, and have no idea if there are two more on the way. Got the 50k bonus on the Visa already, just hit the spending on the Amex so just waiting for the statement to close for the second 50k.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
I also received 4 lounge passes from my February signup.. its too bad i"m not taking my planned trip until summer 2014
Old May 3, 2013, 1:13 pm

Just got pending for the Gold Mastercard, did the live text chat at the pending page and got approved. I love that system...
Old May 3, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by gabbar
I want to apply for two personal cards at once, what are the chances of both products getting approved. Another question, should I pick one visa (50k after 2.5k$ spend) + one amex (45k in $5k spend) or some other combination would be better suited here. Sorry been out of citi AA game for almost 2 years now...
Well, someone just a couple of posts above yours is claiming he/she got two in a single day (albeit in Feb.) and one more couple of months later!

Originally Posted by focusmmuter
Data point: I applied on Feb 20 '13 for Platinum Visa 50k and Gold 30k using first link that appeared for platinum visa at that time on first page. Instantly approved for both at that time. April 29 '13 I applied for Business visa from current link on first page (2500 spend 50k bonus) and got approved after a few days (official today).
Cheers!
Old May 3, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Approved a few mintues ago!

Datapoint:
----------
Applied using link on first post for:

"2. 50K miles after $2500 spend in 4 mo personal .........."

and got approved instantly. Called new app status line on (number listed by another FTer on this thread somewhere):

"Citi: 888-201-4523 (New App Approval Status)"

and confirmed 50K bonus after 2.5K spend in 4 months.

My last app-o-rama was in Oct. 2011 when I got two personal and one Business card.

Considering to pull trigger on Personal Amex too, but am worried about total spend of 7.5K!

Cheers!
Old May 3, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: AMEX, WN, AA, DL, Hilton, Marriott
Was able to get my 2nd personal Citi card approved in the last month. Approved for Hilton in April and AA just now. (45k miles w/5k spend in 4 mos. + $150 credit confirmed via chat/phone). I should get the bonus no problem, so just wanted to let everyone know the 2nd VISA link is still good
Old May 3, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: All of em...
I tried the business card app in option 1 2x...
I tried the business card app in post #2 2x...

Then tried them all today 2x... then tried the link on Million Mile Secrets for business card.

Every time I get an error message after I submit the app that my app can't be processed this time and to try again later. Anybody had these links work recently? I've been trying for 2 weeks.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:23 pm

Try another browser. I've had problems with Citi apps before using Firefox only to have IE work. Sometimes Firefox works for my Citi apps.

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
I tried the business card app in option 1 2x...
I tried the business card app in post #2 2x...

Then tried them all today 2x... then tried the link on Million Mile Secrets for business card.

Every time I get an error message after I submit the app that my app can't be processed this time and to try again later. Anybody had these links work recently? I've been trying for 2 weeks.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by andysiz
Try another browser. I've had problems with Citi apps before using Firefox only to have IE work. Sometimes Firefox works for my Citi apps.
Chrome, Firefox, & IE have failed me... I got approved for a 3rd personal a couple weeks ago and tonight after the Business app failed again I got approved for the personal 30k Gold Mastercard. So now I can't make a new app for 65 days, but even then, none of the business apps work for me.

If it matters, I'm applying from Ecuador computers/internet (with American address/citizenship/business).
Old May 3, 2013, 9:42 pm

Just applied for the 45k miles + $150 statement credit. I personally think it's a better deal than the 50k miles link but it seems that everybody applies for the 50k miles. I know the spending requirement is higher for the 45k miles + $150 statement credit but come on, you got yourself $150 which should be greater than 5k miles. Am I missing something here?
Old May 4, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Interesting... I was curious if this has happened to anyone else:

A few months back I signed up for the AA Visa business (50k + 150 credit + 2 AC passes). All was fine and dandy, I bought a $50 AA gift card to trigger the $150 statement credit. That was given to me early april.

Now I come to find out after checking on the balance that I show a ($50) statement for that card which I had paid off a while back.

Looking into it further, it appears to be a refund (credit) from AA. I checked on the virtual gift card I bought and it appears to come up as invalid now. So it appears that not only did I trigger the statement credit, but I did it for free.

Not that I'm complaining or anything but I was curious if anyone else had a similar experience and if so, what was the reason for them cancelling the GC?

Thx guys!
Old May 4, 2013, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by DziVang
Just applied for the 45k miles + $150 statement credit. I personally think it's a better deal than the 50k miles link but it seems that everybody applies for the 50k miles. I know the spending requirement is higher for the 45k miles + $150 statement credit but come on, you got yourself $150 which should be greater than 5k miles. Am I missing something here?
Except the spend requirement part, I also like this offer. However double the spend requirement makes it difficult for many including myself.
Old May 4, 2013, 6:25 am

Yes. Check out the Amex Platinum $200 AA reimbursement thread. I believe it usually is triggered by AA internal fraud alerts (or so they say). Happened to me a year ago. Like your situation, I still got the Amex reimbursement even after AA reversed the GC purchase.

Originally Posted by nakataboi

A few months back I signed up for the AA Visa business (50k + 150 credit + 2 AC passes). All was fine and dandy, I bought a $50 AA gift card to trigger the $150 statement credit. That was given to me early april.

Now I come to find out after checking on the balance that I show a ($50) statement for that card which I had paid off a while back.

Looking into it further, it appears to be a refund (credit) from AA. I checked on the virtual gift card I bought and it appears to come up as invalid now. So it appears that not only did I trigger the statement credit, but I did it for free.

Not that I'm complaining or anything but I was curious if anyone else had a similar experience and if so, what was the reason for them cancelling the GC?

Thx guys!
Old May 4, 2013, 9:47 am

$50 AA gift card REFUND

Originally Posted by nakataboi

Thx guys!

Same here.
Received a $50 statement refund from AA for the AA gift card purchased a few weeks ago.
AND received the $150 statement credit.
No complaints! Got the $150 credit without spending anything.

NOW the AA gift card shows as invalid:

"We are sorry but we have encountered a problem activating your American Airlines Gift Card. Please contact the sender of this card to advise them you were unable to retrieve your gift. We apologize for any inconvenience."

An email from AA after trying to access the card:

"Johnxxx XXXXDoe was unable to retrieve your $50.00 American Airlines Gift Card bought on April ##, 2013. Please contact our Incentive TrAAvel team at 800.677.9555 if you have questions."
Old May 4, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by jimbous
Same here.
Received a $50 statement refund from AA for the AA gift card purchased a few weeks ago.
AND received the $150 statement credit.
No complaints! Got the $150 credit without spending anything.

NOW the AA gift card shows as invalid:

"We are sorry but we have encountered a problem activating your American Airlines Gift Card. Please contact the sender of this card to advise them you were unable to retrieve your gift. We apologize for any inconvenience."

An email from AA after trying to access the card:

"Johnxxx XXXXDoe was unable to retrieve your $50.00 American Airlines Gift Card bought on April ##, 2013. Please contact our Incentive TrAAvel team at 800.677.9555 if you have questions."

It is caused by AA's fraud prevention. They have issues with people buying gift cards, using stolen credit cards. So they refund a lot of transactions. This have happen to me on both my AA personal and business card. Free money instead of AA gift card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.