Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sweetz_21_83
Well, I wrote a letter and sent my credit report to Citi late yesterday evening (probably after business hours). I was thinking I would call Friday if I haven't heard anything.
Update: I sent in my letter and called a few days later to confirm they received it. They had not so I resent it. I called to confirm they received it about a week later, they had and said I would hear a decision in 5 to 7 business days. Well after 8 business days I called and they said they were unable to approve my application.

Now two weeks after that I receive an email saying they could not verify my address and to call them. I called and they said to send in a couple utilities bills. Does this sound like a tentative approval? I also have credit monitoring and they pulled another credit report. Do I have a shot at getting Experian to remove this? I would really be mad if I am still denied and have two credit apps!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by sweetz_21_83
Update: I sent in my letter and called a few days later to confirm they received it. They had not so I resent it. I called to confirm they received it about a week later, they had and said I would hear a decision in 5 to 7 business days. Well after 8 business days I called and they said they were unable to approve my application.

Now two weeks after that I receive an email saying they could not verify my address and to call them. I called and they said to send in a couple utilities bills. Does this sound like a tentative approval? I also have credit monitoring and they pulled another credit report. Do I have a shot at getting Experian to remove this? I would really be mad if I am still denied and have two credit apps!
Citi has habit of asking for all sorts of documents and then pulling credit report each time you send / they receive additional documents. By experience on two different applications in two different years, they do not change their original credit decision even after all the running around. While my two applications were denied, I did receive approval on other Citi apps, so clearly, I was not 'non-approvable'!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:50 pm

clarification

Originally Posted by Long Islander
So, if you got the 75k AA Visa card 4 months ago and now apply for an AA Mastercard, they won't approve? If you apply and get rejected, does this count as a denial on your credit report, or is an application with denial counted the same as an application with acceptance (forgive my ignorance in this regard)?

Someone posted that if you are rejected it counts as a denial on your credit report. That is not true. Any damage to your credit is caused by the initial inquiry itself, regardless of whether you are approved or declined. Your credit report will not show that you were rejected for credit because your credit card application was denied. However, it does take 2 years for hard inquires to fall off of your credit report. Supposedly after 1 year the inquiry is no longer considered when you are applying for credit.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:06 pm

I received my business card with only $1000 credit limit. That makes it a little tough. I guess I'll have to keep up with it, and pay it down during the month to meet the spend.

My wife had to supply proof of address, since our mortgage is in her maiden name.

I'm flying American next month. Can I just purchase some chips on a flight to make my spend for the $150 credit?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by TravelMutt
Can I just purchase some chips on a flight to make my spend for the $150 credit?
most ppl believe you need to spend $150 to get the credit, but you can try that and let us know how it goes.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelMutt
I received my business card with only $1000 credit limit. That makes it a little tough. I guess I'll have to keep up with it, and pay it down during the month to meet the spend.

My wife had to supply proof of address, since our mortgage is in her maiden name.

I'm flying American next month. Can I just purchase some chips on a flight to make my spend for the $150 credit?
The easiest way to do meet the spend with these low limit cards is to pre-pay them. This cannot be done on Citi's website as it will not allow you to pay more than you owe. You need to log onto your checking account and send a payment to a card (the exact means varies with whom you have your checking account). Make a payment of $3k for your $1k card and you now have a $3k limit. I've done this with a couple Citi biz cards and it certainly makes it less painful.

Thanks to Mr Pickles for this tip!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:34 pm

This offer didn't work for my wife today. Citibank actually removed the promotion on both the amex and visa cards (personal) because of their policy of only providing one promotion per customer. They said they will put the promotion back onto the Visa in a few days. When I got my cards last week, the rep confirmed that I have the promotion (separate activation calls for each card).

Hers was the $2,500 spend promo and required telephone verbal verification for the application AND activation of the cards. Mine was the $3,000 spend and was approved instantly online. Activation did not require me to speak to a rep but did anyways after the touch tone activation to confirm the promo with a person.

How do I get the promotion back on my wife's Amex? I only did the cards to get 100K not 50K. Now I'm afraid that my cards are messed up too...I'm afraid to call in to verify...HELP!!!

Last edited by Ducati; Jan 3, 2012 at 10:39 pm
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
The easiest way to do meet the spend with these low limit cards is to pre-pay them. This cannot be done on Citi's website as it will not allow you to pay more than you owe. You need to log onto your checking account and send a payment to a card (the exact means varies with whom you have your checking account). Make a payment of $3k for your $1k card and you now have a $3k limit. I've done this with a couple Citi biz cards and it certainly makes it less painful.

Thanks to Mr Pickles for this tip!
You can pay your balance via their site 4x per month. Unless you need to spend more than your limit in 1 shot, there's no reason to prepay
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:22 pm

Churning these cards

I've been following for a while but this is my first post. One thing I still don't understand about churning.

I've had an AA Citi Card for over 4 years now. It's still active although I have no balance on it. I just applied for the 50,000k + $150 + 2 passes for a business card and was approved. Can I apply for the personal card now too even though I still have an active (albeit dormant) account open? Do I need to cancel that other one and wait 18 months or can I cancel that one and apply for a new one as soon as I get off the phone?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thehimalayas
I got the companion certificate tied to the OP's offer. It says that the "Reservation must be booked in H, V, M, L, K, W, V, G, S, N, Q, or O Inventory". There are some blackout dates as well, but what do these fare codes mean? Can I book at Expedia or Priceline and get these fare codes with the lowest fares?
Thanks for the update! Great to see that Q & S fares are included, but makes me even more disappointed that I was rejected.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nychighflyer
Do I need to cancel that other one and wait 18 months or can I cancel that one and apply for a new one as soon as I get off the phone?
You probably don't need to cancel the old one at all. It's (roughly) 18 months since last personal application. That timeframe varies person-to-person and is unknowable until you try.

But you also need to wait at least 60 days after your business application, if you want to apply for two personal cards at the same time. No more than 2 applications of any type within 60 days. 3 would be too many.

If you only want one personal card, you could probably apply right now and get it.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ducati
This offer didn't work for my wife today. Citibank actually removed the promotion on both the amex and visa cards (personal) because of their policy of only providing one promotion per customer. They said they will put the promotion back onto the Visa in a few days. When I got my cards last week, the rep confirmed that I have the promotion (separate activation calls for each card).

Hers was the $2,500 spend promo and required telephone verbal verification for the application AND activation of the cards. Mine was the $3,000 spend and was approved instantly online. Activation did not require me to speak to a rep but did anyways after the touch tone activation to confirm the promo with a person.

How do I get the promotion back on my wife's Amex? I only did the cards to get 100K not 50K. Now I'm afraid that my cards are messed up too...I'm afraid to call in to verify...HELP!!!
anybody?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ducati

I'm not sure if I understand your situation. So you have received all cards and all cards are now activated? I've never heard of anyone not receiving the bonus (from Citi) after receiving the cards. Could it be the agent was wrong?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
If you only want one personal card, you could probably apply right now and get it.
I just applied for the personal card (just one) without cancelling my old one and was approved! Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by saacman5033
I'm not sure if I understand your situation. So you have received all cards and all cards are now activated? I've never heard of anyone not receiving the bonus (from Citi) after receiving the cards. Could it be the agent was wrong?
Yes. My wife's cards are activated. The agent was not mistaken. In fact, the agent said to call back in a few days to check if the promo was indeed put back on...

Last edited by Ducati; Jan 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.