Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT youll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- its from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please dont call Citi for the passes, because youll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I dont have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, youll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what wont, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
Theres a very good chance that itll be coded as a cash advance.
Its recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:40 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LowFlyOver
I only got $20 on the AMEX, matching my payment of taxes for the award redemption. We'll see what happens with the Visa after the statement generates today, and then I'll start contacting Citi.
There were two different types of statement credit offers. One where you get the entire credit after the first AA purchase and one where it's a $ for $ match. Are you certain you had the first type? Enough to fight it out with Citi? And draw attention to your two new cards?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:01 pm

Data point

Last personal card application was in August 2010, closed about a year later. Applied for the first set of personal Visa and Amex links in OP today using two browser (Visa in Chrome, followed by Amex in IE a few seconds later). Both got to last step. Instant chat popped up for Visa and approved for new credit line with the option to move additional credit from other Citi cards with high limits. For Amex, no instant chat, but given a number to call for an instant decision. Called and was again approved instantly for new credit line and again given chance to move credit if I wanted a higher line. When offering to move credit from existing cards the rep did not mention the Visa I was just approved for, and obviously I didn't either So, an easy 100K miles and $200 in statement credits when all is said and done.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA/DL/UA, SPG/HH
data point with a warning: a friend applied for the amex and visa through this offer earlier today in the order specified by the first post of this thread. both personal applications were instantly approved with $15K credit limits, but it also cost them two inquiries--one each with different bureaus.

previous info that i've seen in this thread suggested two inquiries, but not from different bureaus.

citi had previously only pulled equifax in the past for this person (NJ address) over the past 5+ years and before this morning, they had high scores with zero equifax inquiries and 15 experian inquiries. they had not had the card in the past.

for those trying to manage which issuers pull from which bureau, i would strongly advise those expecting only a single equifax pull from the two-browser trick with citi to freeze their experian score if they're trying to avoid inquiries across multiple bureaus.

Last edited by mrp20; Sep 7, 2012 at 12:23 pm Reason: adding that this person was not churning & apps were personal
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Whether it qualifies or not is dependent on who bills you, not directly on what you buy.

It has to be billed by AA itself. So these things definitely count:
  • Purchase of an AA ticket on aa.com
  • Purchase of fees for an AA award booking ticket on aa.com
  • Purchase of anything phystical (sandwich, drink, headphones if available for sale, etc) on a domestic mainline (not regional jet) AA plane in coach
  • Purchase of an AA gift card online at aa.com

These things definitely do not count:
  • Buying AA miles onilne at aa.com (it sends you to points.com which actually is the one that bills you)
  • Booking "vacation packages" at aa.com (it's actually implemented by a third party, Travelocity IIRC, and billed by that third party)
  • Using AA Shopping (implemented by a third party, and in case it sends you to the partner website to make the purchase)
  • Purchase of GoGo in-flight internet on the plane (it's billed to GoGo, not to AA)

I have no idea where you can buy AA luggage tags, and thus I do know which of these two categories it fits into.

Finally, some offers give you a $xxx statement creidt for "any" AA purchase, while other offers give you "up to" $xxx for AA purchases. The first type of offer, a small purchase qualifies you for the full credit. The second type of offer, you have to spend the same amount as the amount of credit you want (up to the limit of what the maximum credit is), and thus a small spend will only get you a small credit. You have to know which of these two types of offers you signed up for, we can't guess that.
Thanks for this summary. I have linked to it in the first post.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: HHonors, SPG, ClubCarlson, AAdvantage, BA Avios, US Dividend Miles, UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyPesos
Thanks for the info and things to consider, MDtR-Chicago. As always, I appreciate your expertise. I think you are right. It is better not to draw attention to multiple apps. I am certain that I used the 50k/$150 credit apps, but I forgot to clear cache. Perhaps that got me redirected to another offer?!? I will research the other offer to see where to go from here on the statement credit.

Last edited by LowFlyOver; Sep 7, 2012 at 8:48 pm
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by mrp20
for those trying to manage which issuers pull from which bureau, i would strongly advise those expecting only a single equifax pull from the two-browser trick with citi to freeze their experian score if they're trying to avoid inquiries across multiple bureaus.
You can't manage what bureau they pull. If they pull a credit bureau that you have locked it will deny the card, they won't go looking for another, unlocked bureau.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA/DL/UA, SPG/HH
sorry if my post was unclear. that's not entirely true for all card issuers, but it's generally true. some people try to evenly distribute the number of pulls they have across each of their 3 reports, and i mentioned it because some people might be surprised if they'd been expecting 1-2 inquiries with the same bureau after applying--especially after the sort of consistency in pulling one (and only one, ever) that this friend was used to.

since certain transunion and equifax inquiries can be removed in less than two years, freezing experian might still be a good idea for those only taking this offer because they think it's a two-for-one on credit pulls and otherwise would prefer other offers, especially if they have no means of erasing the inquiries in less than 2 years. for some of us, 50K miles isn't necessarily worth an experian pull relative to a TU/EQ inquiry.

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
You can't manage what bureau they pull. If they pull a credit bureau that you have locked it will deny the card, they won't go looking for another, unlocked bureau.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: VX Silver
Just got the first card today, the AMEX.

What's the best way to check the bonus without sounding suspicious?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by Irwin Alvarado

Suspicious about what?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia

When I activated each card, I just asked the agent if the promotion that I had been enrolled in included 50k miles and a $100 credit. She confirmed it.

The phone number is different for confirming the AA Visa card. The Amex account is the only account that the agent will be looking at. So there is nothing suspicious about it.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: VX Silver
Originally Posted by booyaa
Suspicious about what?

I misread a previous post abou the forum's etiquette...

Originally Posted by jeanie
The etiquette on this board is not to call if you are instantly approved. On post #1, there is a link in all caps that explains the correct procedures so that the links will remain open as long as possible. While it is nice that you got approved, please don't ruin the deal for others on this board.

The correct etiquette was to wait until you got the cards in the mail, and then ask the rep about the bonus when you activate the card. And really, from your point of view, they would have been the same terms whether you had waited or not. So you really did not gain anything by calling immediately.

So I just called, actually because I am having problem setting up the online access and asked the rep to verify the bonuses:

I did get the 50k miles for a $3k spend in 4 months, a $100 statement credit on first AA purchase but I did NOT get th 2 AC passes.

Has anyone else not gotten the AC passes?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
So I just called, actually because I am having problem setting up the online access and asked the rep to verify the bonuses:

I did get the 50k miles for a $3k spend in 4 months, a $100 statement credit on first AA purchase but I did NOT get th 2 AC passes.

Has anyone else not gotten the AC passes?
Try re-reading post #1 to double check which link/offer you applied for
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Plat
25% onboard food purchase discount

quick question for those with more experience. How is the 25% food purchase discount for Citi cardholders executed. Is this a point of purchase reduction or an after-the-fact statement credit from Citi? I was recently charged full price on all transactions - and I certainly don't see any credits on the latest statement that just closed. Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:17 am
In memoriam

Smile

A data point on doing the two app thing.

I applied a week ago for AA Amex and Visa using the 50K links on the first page of this thread (it has been over year since I closed my last Citi AA credit card.

Didn't get instant approval on either card. Called several times (apparently Labor Day weekend delayed things) and after calling separately on the two cards got approved for both with a total $30K credit line. The 50K bonus with 3K spend was confirmed by the rep without my asking.

Thanks FTers for helping me to add 100K AA miles to the many many you have helped me get earlier. ^
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by gmttr1
quick question for those with more experience. How is the 25% food purchase discount for Citi cardholders executed. Is this a point of purchase reduction or an after-the-fact statement credit from Citi? I was recently charged full price on all transactions - and I certainly don't see any credits on the latest statement that just closed. Thanks for your help.
I was told it would be an after-the-fact statement credit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.