Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Long Islander
So, if you got the 75k AA Visa card 4 months ago and now apply for an AA Mastercard, they won't approve? If you apply and get rejected, does this count as a denial on your credit report, or is an application with denial counted the same as an application with acceptance (forgive my ignorance in this regard)?
Correct, you will probably not get approved for another personal card if you got a AA personal Visa 4 months ago. That is why many people apply for 2 personal cards at once. If you fill out both applications on the same day, Citibank's computer won't catch you as an existing cardholder. You may want to apply for a business card. Read post # 2 in this thread.

http://http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1110784-expired-aa-citi-citibank-card-75k-sign-up-bonus-read-post-2-first.html

Regarding the credit report, it is a denial. Good thing is you get a free credit report with a denial. But legally you can get a free credit report from each bureau annually anyway. It's a federal law.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Finally, I wouldn't take the credit hit to try after 4 months. I don't know of anyone posting on Flyertalk that has been able to open a new account that quickly. So you would be dropping your credit score 5 or 6 points with virtually no chance of getting the card.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
Correct, you will probably not get approved for another personal card if you got a AA personal Visa 4 months ago. That is why many people apply for 2 personal cards at once. If you fill out both applications on the same day, Citibank's computer won't catch you as an existing cardholder. You may want to apply for a business card. Read post # 2 in this thread.

http://http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1110784-expired-aa-citi-citibank-card-75k-sign-up-bonus-read-post-2-first.html

Regarding the credit report, it is a denial. Good thing is you get a free credit report with a denial. But legally you can get a free credit report from each bureau annually anyway. It's a federal law.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Finally, I wouldn't take the credit hit to try after 4 months. I don't know of anyone posting on Flyertalk that has been able to open a new account that quickly. So you would be dropping your credit score 5 or 6 points with virtually no chance of getting the card.
Thanks, useful information. I actually did apply for the AA Visa and AA Citi Amex simultaneously, got both, and got 150k miles posted. I'm now going to either apply for an AA Citi Business card for another 50k miles under the offer that expires 1/31/12, or see if a 75k offer comes up before that one expires. Based on your advice, I'll skip applying for a personal AA Mastercard.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:32 pm

How often can one apply for these cards. If I already got 2 citi one visa, one amex and got my $150k; can I kill them now and apply with this new offer?
I have heard a magic number 18 month but wanted to confirm..?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
anyone received the day passes yet?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:59 pm
Formerly known as gwhit21

Programs: All of them.
There really is no magic number. Some have been approved 14 months after previous apps; unlucky others had to wait 20 months. I would suggest waiting the 18 months.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by allanfan
anyone received the day passes yet?
I applied for both cards and approved for both about 2 months ago, received one pair Friday and one pair today.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I applied for both cards and approved for both about 2 months ago, received one pair Friday and one pair today.
When do the passes expire?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
When do the passes expire?
Actually i received one pair tonight as well. It expires end of 2012.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by allanfan
Actually i received one pair tonight as well. It expires end of 2012.
Likewise.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Dec 28, 2011 at 9:17 am
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:09 pm

I opened up the AA Amex and AA Business back in Aug 2010 and still have them open. I'd love to double dip on this and get another 2 cards for 50k miles each. The main question I have is should I cancel my 2 existing AA cards first, and then apply for the new offers? If so, how long should I wait before applying again after cancelling the old ones?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: All of 'em
I glanced through the thread and couldn't find an answer to this (although it may be there).

Is there anyway to cash out on the $150 AA credit w/o actually flying? Are gift cards working for this, or something else? Something similar to the AMEX Plat credit would be great.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Nekamah7
I glanced through the thread and couldn't find an answer to this (although it may be there).

Is there anyway to cash out on the $150 AA credit w/o actually flying? Are gift cards working for this, or something else? Something similar to the AMEX Plat credit would be great.
Gift card will work.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:04 pm

Companion Ticket?

Is there a companion ticket for American Airlines?

Do you get it annually?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drdavidge
I opened up the AA Amex and AA Business back in Aug 2010 and still have them open. I'd love to double dip on this and get another 2 cards for 50k miles each. The main question I have is should I cancel my 2 existing AA cards first, and then apply for the new offers? If so, how long should I wait before applying again after cancelling the old ones?
I applied for two away7.citicards.com cards (personal Visa and personal Amex) successfully about two months ago, when it was more than 20 months since my last app, but I still had (and still have today) an AA MC open from one of those apps a couple years ago. So you don't need to cancel old ones necessarily. That won't affect whether you get a new card except in pure credit terms (do you have too much total credit available at Citi, do you have too many total credit cards at Citi, etc), but not in AA-specific terms. AA-specific terms deal only with when the last time you applied was, not when or whether you cancelled. (At least on personal cards. I haven't done business cards so am not as clear on the policies there.)

However, the fact that it was Aug 2010 when you applied for those could be an issue, if 14 months isn't enough for you (and it's hard to tell that in advance). Waiting at least 18 months from Aug 2010 sound safer.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by jaybert
awesome thanks for the info. i dont post until 1/2/2012, so i have a bit of time.

did the same thing happen to you? they requested you fax in the docs and you printed out the website front page?

EDIT:

nice, mine just posted as a standard credit.

11/28/11 11/30 CONDITIONAL CREDIT FOR DISPUTED ITEM XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-8002 $150.00

Thanks CITI for making it right!

i take that back. they sent be a generic decline letter and then charged me $150 again.

Thanks for nothing, Citi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.