Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by amrom
I applied for both personal card got instantly approved.
I did not fill in an advantage no. On any of them, what will the process be in regards to that?
Thanks
They will assign numbers and you can call AA to merge the accounts. I think you need to wait until after your first statement.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:22 am

I have had the card for almost a month. No word on companion cert. They claim they have no idea what I am talking about. She did have my miles bonus and $100 statement credit offer though.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by brettskyg
I have had the card for almost a month. No word on companion cert. They claim they have no idea what I am talking about. She did have my miles bonus and $100 statement credit offer though.
I applied for two personal cards (Amex, Visa) around June 8 & was approved instantly. Received only 1 cert to date, and that wasn't until Monday this week (7/9), so I'd give it a little more time if I were you.

Last edited by beltway; Jul 11, 2012 at 9:37 am Reason: clarify: personal cards
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: DL, Marriott
to get the companion cert, do you have to get the business card? or can you get one with a personal card? I am looking at AA's citi personal cards and I am not seeing any mention of complimentary companion certs.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ckosh
He applied through the links that say 50K for $3000 spend in 4 months but this wasn't mentioned on the application page and the instant approval didn't specify the bonus terms.
So that is normal? The application page has no mention of the terms of the offer at all? OK. I just clicked on the links in the OP and got scared because there's no detail on the offer. So the thing to do is just march blindly into the breach, then confirm the offer with Citi when you activate?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by taliesin
So that is normal? The application page has no mention of the terms of the offer at all? OK. I just clicked on the links in the OP and got scared because there's no detail on the offer. So the thing to do is just march blindly into the breach, then confirm the offer with Citi when you activate?
yes. The landing page is gone.

however, you will get 50K miles and a $100 credit. and the rest, just have to wait (but who really cares? It's the miles and the money... )
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:35 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
So the thing to do is just march blindly into the breach, then confirm the offer with Citi when you activate?
Yes, like (literally) hundreds before you. It's ok. Really.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
I applied for two personal cards (Amex, Visa) around June 8 & was approved instantly. Received only 1 cert to date, and that wasn't until Monday this week (7/9), so I'd give it a little more time if I were you.
I applied back around May 20th and have still not received my admirals club passes. I'll give it the full 8 weeks before I call and say anything.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:06 am

Datapoint to enhance your confidence that this will work: applied 6/26, got my card 6/30, met the spend and got the 50K when my statement closed on 7/9.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems like instant approvals are easier now

I just did the two-browser trick for my wife and she got instant approval on the personal Visa and AMEX. It has been 18 months since her last AA Citi cards. In the recent past, it would always take a couple days for Citi approval of our applications. I successfully did the two-browser trick for myself a few months ago.

Spending $3000 simultaneously on each card is a bit annoyng, but I "need" the AA points (planning family vacation to Australia) and my municipal property tax bill comes due next month -- and they take Visa with no fee. One minimum spend easily reached! If you have to pay your taxes, might as well get 50,000 miles out of it.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG
Thanks!

Last edited by ycrimi; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ycrimi
Did two browsers, got instant approval for the AMEX, but for the Visa they could not confirm the same IDENTICAL home address they just approved and I had to fax over a bank statement - sounds like it won't go through since the review takes 24-4 hours. Damn!
At least it is only 24-48 hours! On Monday I had to send in an address verification for my business card app--they told me it would be 7-10 days.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A thread would not go to THIS LONG, if people do not get the bonuses. Don't you think?

And this is actually a 2nd thread devoted to the AAdvantage card - if you care to read the first post of this thread more carefully, right at the top of the first post it gives you a LINK to the original thread's post no.2 - where you can learn all the things necessarily to learn / understand in order to do this successfully.

Sometimes you just need to use a little bit common sense to think about it, literally.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amrom
I applied for both personal card got instantly approved.
I did not fill in an advantage no. On any of them, what will the process be in regards to that?
Thanks
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
They will assign numbers and you can call AA to merge the accounts. I think you need to wait until after your first statement.
Also make sure to inform Citi the "survived" AAdvantage Account number, i.e. the one you decide to keep, and make sure that number is the one to attach to your cards from now on. Else you would have issues receiving your miles going forward.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by brettskyg
DW had the card for nearly 3 months and the companion certificate just arrived yesterday. Unfortunately I have doubts we'll even use the damn thing, it expires on November 30th. Likely the consequence of applying for an offer that had been expired for 4 months.

Unfortunate though, as far as companion passes goes, this one isn't all that bad, it even allows for the NOQSG fares (only for USA 48 though).

Last time I got one of these (about 6 years ago) the lowest fare class they allowed was V, or something like that (which meant using it required purchasing a ticket that was twice the price of readily available tickets)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.