Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

2 Capital One cashback cards: Business 2%, Personal 1.5% [Card names change]

2 Capital One cashback cards: Business 2%, Personal 1.5% [Card names change]

Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
But why will anyone do that?

Originally Posted by nabeelj
You can move the cash into a Miles account.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by leonard016
But why will anyone do that?
If I have 10K miles and $100 cashback, and need to redeem for a $200 travel purchase.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
But you only need to redeem 10K miles to cover a portion of your travel expense. According to FAQ:

* Can I redeem a portion of my No Hassle Rewards and keep adding to the remaining balance?

# Yes, you can redeem any or all of your available rewards whenever you'd like, provided your account is open and in good standing.
Also there is a small advantage of keeping the cash in your pocket: you lose the 2% cash back on your redemption. Say if you redeem 10K miles for $100 travel expense, you won't get the cash back on this $100.

Originally Posted by nabeelj
If I have 10K miles and $100 cashback, and need to redeem for a $200 travel purchase.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by leonard016
But you only need to redeem 10K miles to cover a portion of your travel expense.
Are you sure about that?

EDIT: Just went through my Personal Venture card. You can only redeem for the entire travel charge (with the exception of airfare I believe, but I don't have any such transaction to test). And you still earn the 2 miles on the travel purchase that you redeem miles for.

Last edited by nabeelj; Nov 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Any other feedback on these cards?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by hook
So we get the card (since we are cancelling the old Schwab 2% card soon). We tell them husband travels for a living - pilot. I charge here in the US while he charges one day in Paris, next in Dubai etc etc. The CSR wants us to list countries and dates for all trip. are u kidding!!!!
The CSR is nuts, and Cap1 isn't the only company to have this 'feature.' The fraud alert algorithm is looking for anything that breaks a pattern. Once you establish a pattern of travel, it's no longer an issue. I only told Cap1 about my first 2-3 trips (online with the travel notification form), and have used the card all over the world since without any further notifications or issues.

Hope this helps. I've been very pleased the first year using a Cap1 card, and for places that don't take my Penfed Amex overseas, it is my primary card now.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by Vip4me
I just applied for it and got approved. Giving Cap one another chance. Keep in mind their no hassle rewards are horrible!! Make sure you get the CASH card with Cap one otherwise you better goto Citi or Chase if you want points programs.

FYI - I plan on using the Sparks business card 2% until the annual fee kicks in then going to the 1% plus 50% bonus card which has no annual fee.
You might want to think through that a little more, if you're spending more than $8,850 per YEAR on the card (which is pretty much every cardholder in America) paying the annual fee results in higher cash back than the "no fee" card. Unless you are intending to not use the card after the reward of course, but then why hold on to a cash rewards card at all.

/uponsoapbox

I am continually surprised by the generally intelligent people on this board who are scared to death of paying an annual fee, even if it's in their best interests. Annual fee is simply another aspect of the ROI calculation.

Personally, I keep 4 cards, all of which have annual fees, and I spend over $1,000 / year in fees. Totally worth it for the cash value rewards I receive, strictly on an ROI basis. Benefits like lounge access are just icing on the cake and come along for the ride.

Would be more than happy to pay $2,000/year for a centurion too. All depends on the value the cards provide.

/downfromsoapbox

Separately, I don't see why there is any reason to go with a miles over cash card. As I read them they are identical, with the caveat that the miles card can only be redeemed for travel purchases, where the cash can (effectively) be redeemed for any purchase (since it's a statement credit)...

Am I missing something?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by masonuc
Did anyone get a low credit line? May be a "business card" thing. I only got $5k whereas I typically qualify for 20-50k.
My wife's came through @ $20k. Only has ~8 credit cards, none with Cap1. Only 4th business card.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bbd
I got turned down for the card. I have 800 credit score. But a lot of open credit, and that is why they declined me. I pay off all my cards on time. But it seems with the current state of the credit market they don't want to take risks.

Also I have a captial one card the Sony rewards one that just got moved from chase to capt one. So that might of also affected me getting approved for this.

Too bad for them decling me, as use a lot of credit cards for my business.
Same thing happened to me. Too many inquiries. I signed up my wife with identical info and added myself as an AU. Charges 2on't help my credit but couldn't care less about that; still get what I was after.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Money card
your joking correct ? the cash back card is like a Discover more or American express blue cash card, while the Capital1 venture is a card that business travlers and vice presidents use. 1.25 miles per dollar spent.
what I'm trying to say is the cash card doesn't have a concierge, it's not the card the venture 1 is. Please it doesn't beat the Venture.

it's a card meant for shopping.
Fair point; though I have an AMEX plat for all the perks and my bank gives me a concierge card for free since I have my money there.

Concierge is pretty commonplace on all cards with annual fees over $95 nowadays anyway; it's a standard Visa Signature perk.

Just comparing maximum cash back card in the world when travelling (and spending, given the zero FX and not being AMEX), which is this to others.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chelmkamp
The CSR is nuts, and Cap1 isn't the only company to have this 'feature.' The fraud alert algorithm is looking for anything that breaks a pattern. Once you establish a pattern of travel, it's no longer an issue. I only told Cap1 about my first 2-3 trips (online with the travel notification form), and have used the card all over the world since without any further notifications or issues.

Hope this helps. I've been very pleased the first year using a Cap1 card, and for places that don't take my Penfed Amex overseas, it is my primary card now.
Call a bunch and they'll get it eventually.

I had this problem when I first moved to China and traveled in AP. Recently was in China for a week, Chicago for a week, Detroit for a week, and Dallas for a week and zero rejections / problems. I must have passed the hurdle.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:04 pm
bbd

How many people have this card? Do they offer big credit line or start real low?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:17 pm
bbd

Anyone have updates on the card? Looking to apply again soon. Anyone get a credit increase?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bbd
How many people have this card? Do they offer big credit line or start real low?
Depends on your credit and prior relationship. My wife got a line with them which was aligned with her other cards. I had an issue with them back in college so they usually don't give me a line anywhere near what other banks do.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:44 pm

Been stuck at 5k for almost 2 year. 801 FICO. 200,000 + in credit lines. Zero debt. Hard to use a card with such a small credit line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.