Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Thailand. Which Thai credit cards do I want?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass

I will be relocating to Bangkok Thailand in the near future. And I wanted to know what local FT'ers are using for their credit card scheme there. In the US, I'm earning EDS 2mi/$1 AC miles with the Fidelity AMEX, EDS 1.5mi/$1 AC miles for the Fidelity Visa. 3mi/$1 MR points from the Preferred Rewards Gold AMEX for air ticket purchases.

For my move, I'm clearly keeping my Schwab Visa for the 0% Forex. And keep my Ameriprise WE MC for the unlimited PP.

What are you BKK FT'ers using? There seem to be alot of varied offerings from AMEX and Citibank. Please share your CC scheme.

And on a related note, I'll be cancelling 4-5 other cards just because I won't be using them in Asia, such as the SPG Amex. Is there a way to cancel 4-5 cards at one time to not have it negatively affect my credit?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:09 pm

Location: Bangkok Thailand HYATT DIAMOND, DL PM, DL 2 Million Miler
Programs: THAI RO Gold, Hilton Gold,Marriott something
lucky boy. I use my Citibank MC in Thailand. i dont even remember the points. 1 point per baht maybe? I only use it for direct payment of my utility bills, cell phone. Most expenses i put on my Schwab visa, a better deal

You will love thailand. Every day is a bonus
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: ROP/G, *G, IHG Ambassador, HHonors G, 1865 Voyager, MP Gold
Some choices for TG-affiliated CC:
1. Citbank ROP Visa (THB 20 / 1 mile)
2. KTC ROP (THB 20 / 1 mile)
3. Amex TG (THB 25 / 1 mile, but 25% bonus kicks in once you spend above THB 100k)

Depending on promotions held at the time, you can expect to get 5k - 15k bonus miles when applying 1st time for a card.

For CC that have reward programs with multiple carriers, the conversion rate is rather awful, most will be THB 20-25 / Points, upon which 2 points = 1 mile.

Take a look around before deciding as there are other benefits attached to each cards.

& Welcome to Thailand!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to bump this one.

The job I originally posted about fell through, so I never relocated. However I just signed a contract for a job in Bangkok starting Jan. 2013 so I'm definitely moving this time.

Do any fellow FT'ers in Thailand have any updated info about the best rewards CC's currently offered in Thailand, and why.

Thanks in advance.

Derek
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:25 pm

Best for ROP

The best for earning ROP miles are the following... in this order:

1) Citibank Ultima = 1.5 miles per 25THB (can transfer to ROP, SG, Cathay, at same rate)
2) Amex Thai Airways (credit not charge) = 1 mile per 25THB but you get an extra 25K after spending 1 mil THB in a year, also many bonuses (10x etc, 25% extra after spending 100K)
3) Citbank ROP (either version) = 1 mile per 20THB bonuses not as good as Amex

Citibank Ultima is by invitation but I'm sure if you called and sent them your US credit card statments they would give you an application. It has a high anual fee but they give you priority pass and miles when you pay it.

I've lived in Thailand for around 10 years, so pretty familiar with whats out there.

S

Last edited by sethmw; Nov 29, 2012 at 6:47 pm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Keep the SPG card. It gives annual night and stay credits for Starwood that you apparently cannot get with any foreign-issued card. This makes it much easier to earn status and SPG has some very nice properties in Asia.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Keep the SPG card. It gives annual night and stay credits for Starwood that you apparently cannot get with any foreign-issued card. This makes it much easier to earn status and SPG has some very nice properties in Asia.
Could you please explain what annual night SPG card gives?
Is it a free night per year, like the Chase Marriott and Priority Club Visa cards give?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:58 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by echip
Could you please explain what annual night SPG card gives?
Is it a free night per year, like the Chase Marriott and Priority Club Visa cards give?
Annual "night and stay credits" to help with elite status.

Chase Priority club is a good one, free room each year for $49 plus no Forex. I imagine you'll want to keep SOME US cards open.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethmw

1) Citibank Ultima = 1.5 miles per 25THB (can transfer to ROP, SG, Cathay, at same rate)

Citibank Ultima is by invitation but I'm sure if you called and sent them your US credit card statments they would give you an application. It has a high anual fee but they give you priority pass and miles when you pay it.

I've lived in Thailand for around 10 years, so pretty familiar with whats out there.
Thanks Seth. Is the annual fee for the Ultima card 30,000 baht or approx $1000 USD? Yes the benefits look alot better for conversion into Cathay and Singapore, but is it worth the $1000 fee? I'm not adverse to fees, I currently have a Chase Presidential Plus for the United Club membership and the 2mi/$ for hotels and car rentals at $395 a year. But is the $1000 for the Citibank Ultima worth the better mileage earning and airline FF program participants? If its that superior and it becomes my EDS card for everything I would consider it, but prestige itself isn't a factor in choosing a card. There would have to be significant benefits to justify the fee.

And as for the ROP AMEX. I know that Amex is not as widely accepted in Thailand, especially for more local type shopping, but do you think it would require me to get a Visa/MC as a backup? And if so how often would I need to use the backup?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:41 pm

When I got it it was around 25K and they gave me 100K points for signing up. The fee is basically the same as the existing Amex Platinum card and for me I felt the benefits were much better. You do really need to weigh if its worth the fee for you. They also give you an extra 100K points anually if you meet certain spending levels.

Sorry I can't see your question when I'm replying, so trying to remember what you asked (rarely post to any forums).

You basically get priority pass (including the United Lounges) (same as platinum amex but Amex excludes United), a companion bus clas ticket for free if you purchase through them on TG, 50% discount at numerous hotel restraunts in TH (I used to be a member of the Four Seasons and paid 10K there alone for the 50% discount, fantastic Japanese (best in the city Shintaro) and great steak house (Madison) so this benefit really knocked off half the anual fee alone), free golf at numerous courses etc. It's definately not for everyone, but it was a decent value for me, far better than the Platinum Amex. They send random weird stuff throughout the year as well, like 2-3 K gift certificates for new restraunts, completely free no strings hotels nights for various resorts, etc. So I've been happy with it. The conversion to miles in USD would be roughly 2 miles on SG, Cathay, or TG for every 1.08 USD spent or 33.3 THB (for normal spending, some times the have 2x or 10x points as well)

With the Amex it's accepted at most places, but you're correct some of the smaller local shops don't accept it. It would proabably be a good idea to have a VISA/MC as a backup. How often you'll use it will really depend on where you frequent, but when I was using Amex as my primary card I didnt really find it to be too much of an issue. If you're a citigold customer they will waive the anual fee on the ROP VISA though so this is another option.

S

Forgot to mention that ALL Thai cards charge a foriegn transaction fee of 2-3%, with the citi card they give you 3x points when you spend abroad, but I'd definately keep a US card with no foreign transaction fees for traveling.

Last edited by sethmw; Nov 30, 2012 at 8:52 pm
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethmw
You basically get priority pass (including the United Lounges) (same as platinum Amex but Amex excludes United), a companion bus clas ticket for free if you purchase through them on TG, 50% discount at numerous hotel restraunts in TH (I used to be a member of the Four Seasons and paid 10K there alone for the 50% discount, fantastic Japanese (best in the city Shintaro) and great steak house (Madison) so this benefit really knocked off half the anual fee alone), free golf at numerous courses etc. It's definitely not for everyone, but it was a decent value for me, far better than the Platinum Amex. They send random weird stuff throughout the year as well, like 2-3 K gift certificates for new restaurants, completely free no strings hotels nights for various resorts, etc. So I've been happy with it. The conversion to miles in USD would be roughly 2 miles on SG, Cathay, or TG for every 1.08 USD spent or 33.3 THB (for normal spending, some times the have 2x or 10x points as well)
Seth,
In regards to the conversion to miles. I found that on the Citibank website they convert 2 Citibank points : 1 Mile (CX,TG,SQ) for the Ultima and Select cards. Are you saying because the Ultima card earns more points per 25 baht that it equals 1 point : 1 mile? Or am I mistaken where I found the conversion page that shows 2 points:1mile for Ultima and Select?

For me, the equivalent of 2mi:$1 might make the Ultima fee worth it. Yes you get the Priority Pass, but it seems like the restaurant discounts and green fees come with the Select card too. And at 5000 baht ($180) annual fee, Select provides all the same benefits except the Priority Pass, and the private jet stuff. So the 2mi:$1 makes it worth it for Select.

If you would be so kind as to clarify the 2mi:$1 earning, I would greatly appreciate it.

Derek
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:51 pm

Correct it earns 3 points per 25THB spend on normal purchases.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

So an update on credit cards.

Citibank was very clear that I could not get an Ultima card, regardless of my salary, past credit card statements, referrals, etc. Too bad because I would have used it alot.

My company pays me into an SCB bank account, and they have a Beyond Platinum elite card. They said even though i qualify for it, I am required to wait six months after starting my account to apply for it.

Aeon has their new ROP Platinum card on all the billboards and trains. It looks like it earns one ROP mile per 20 baht. And its got a few other bonuses like 5% cashback for dining and hotel spend. I just checked and they want 6 months banking history too.

I understand the caution that Thai banks have with foreigners, but it also doens't make sense that they don't want my money.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Sorry to bump this old thread

I am also now relocated in Thailand and need assistance on which credit card to get?

i have considered these few:

- Citi Prestige Visa
- Citi Royal Orchid Plus Preferred Card
- SCB Beyond Platinum

Any other cards out there to recommend? Appreciate any replies. Thank you
Old May 28, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by dko3tgk
There seem to be alot of varied offerings from AMEX and Citibank.
Many cards in the AP area are not worth to apply.

Unlike those in the U.S., the competitions are quite limited.

Originally Posted by dko3tgk
And on a related note, I'll be cancelling 4-5 other cards just because I won't be using them in Asia, such as the SPG Amex. Is there a way to cancel 4-5 cards at one time to not have it negatively affect my credit?
Impossible, as even canceling 1 will still negatively affect your credit.

Also - when you cancel, focus on those with AF only and can't be converted.

Always remember - convert/consolidate first before closing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.