Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by kbs972
Called citi today about both my TY Premier and Gold AAdvantage, CSR said I could not get EMV on either, but could ... the PayPass to my TY like I have on the AA card. Wonder what I have to do to qualify for the EMV cards...
Hang up, try again with another agent or asking to talk to a supervisor usually works.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, KF Gold/PPS
Originally Posted by kbs972
Called citi today about both my TY Premier and Gold AAdvantage, CSR said I could not get EMV on either, but could ... the PayPass to my TY like I have on the AA card. Wonder what I have to do to qualify for the EMV cards...
Also you can tweet the @AskCiti team, they will ask you to DM tel number and will ring you up. They can help as well with this.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA,BA,DL,UA,US,Hilton Gold,MC Chairman,AMEX Plat
They don't really know what EMV is at Citi, but they know what a "global chip" is. They sent me a replacement Premier TY and a MC Chairman in a few days... with a "global chip." The brochure insert told me they were chip and sig cards.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:47 pm

I called Citi about the EMV "global chip" for my World Elete AAdvantage MC, and they said I should already have a card with a chip in it. They said they will go ahead and send me out another card.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Third time was the charm for me. My World Elite AAdvantage Mastercard came today with the chip in it. After two unsuccessful requests that included using the word EMV in my request, the third Citi Rep said the correct request to make is for a card with Global Chip Capability.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: UA G
For those who got the Citi EMV cards -- what did you guys use for your PIN?

I was able to request it for a TY Premier MC. We'll see what I actually get in the mail.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by unavaca
..Citi EMV cards -- what did you guys use for your PIN?
My understanding is these are Chip & Signature cards, no PIN function.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by unavaca
For those who got the Citi EMV cards -- what did you guys use for your PIN?

I was able to request it for a TY Premier MC. We'll see what I actually get in the mail.
As I recall, there have been a scattering of reports of folks saying that entering 0000 as your PIN works, but that's nothing I'd count on.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:28 am

Chip and Signature

Just received JP Morgan Chase Select card. Chip technology. When no PIN received, I called. Told is chip and sig. Asked how use with unattended kiosks, told that when screen appears asking for PIN, just hit "Enter," with no entry in the PIN field. Won't be in Eur. for a couple months. Anyone try this with success?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by bm196
Just received JP Morgan Chase Select card. Chip technology. When no PIN received, I called. Told is chip and sig. Asked how use with unattended kiosks, told that when screen appears asking for PIN, just hit "Enter," with no entry in the PIN field. Won't be in Eur. for a couple months. Anyone try this with success?
It's hit and miss. Can't cite that specific card but another Chase chip & sig card - gets rejected entirely at some kiosks. At offline kiosks, without a chip & pin method I would surmise we're screwed.

A number of experiences are posted in this thread if you read back over the past several months.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:10 pm

I received my replacement Citi AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard, and guess what, no chip. The rep new what I was requesting, even mentioning global capability chip, EMV, etc, but no dice. Their records showed I already had a card with a chip. I guess I'll try again in a few weeks.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by AndyAA
I received my replacement Citi AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard, and guess what, no chip. The rep new what I was requesting, even mentioning global capability chip, EMV, etc, but no dice. Their records showed I already had a card with a chip. I guess I'll try again in a few weeks.
Talking to a supervisor seems to help instead of talking to frontline agents.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:33 am
mia

Now using a Chase Chip & Signature card in London, and surprised how slow the transaction verification process is. Estimate the card remains in the terminal 10+ seconds, then the receipt prints. In a couple instances I have needed to point out to the assistant that a signature was required.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Now using a Chase Chip & Signature card in London, and surprised how slow the transaction verification process is. Estimate the card remains in the terminal 10+ seconds, then the receipt prints. In a couple instances I have needed to point out to the assistant that a signature was required.
What happens if you don't sign?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:50 am
mia

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
What happens if you don't sign?
The merchant could still submit the transaction, but if I disputed it they would have no evidence that I authorized it. Chase would likely still conclude that I had made the purchase because they could see that the correct chip was present, but if I disputed the amount (e.g. restaurant tip) it might be more difficult for the merchant to collect the full amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.