Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by danpeake
For those that have ordered a card and received it already, how long from the day you made the phone call did the card arrive? Thanks.
If the SOP is the same as my past experience when they called me about some "suspicious activity" and sent me a new card number, it took about a week.

Then again, it also depends on the snail mail-ness of USPS.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by MrPink
FWIW the chase rep I talked to when activating my sapphire preferred suggested that it might receive the chip at the end of Q1 2012, at the earliest.
Good to know! Let's hope they stay on schedule.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
I was just able to successfully request a "global chip card" for my Citi Premier Mastercard, which has no foreign transaction fee. The first agent to whom I spoke didn't know what I was talking about, but when I called back, the agent was able to take care of my request right away.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:16 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Got my replacement. Chipless. Asked about it while activating it over the phone and the rep said that EMV issuance is a "test program" that only applies to "selected accounts", of which mine was not one, and that if a rep previously said I was going to get one he was wrong. So nope, I think it's limited to MasterCards at this moment.

EDIT: If it makes a difference, the rep I got when activating my card specified she was from the "American office" while the guy doing the replacement didn't say but sounded like he was, well, from elsewhere.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:00 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jamar
... "American office"
Perhaps a team dedicated to servicing American Airlines co-branded cards.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:23 am

For those that have ordered a card and received it already, how long from the day you made the phone call did the card arrive? Thanks.
It's been a while but I think it was like a week.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:21 am

Got my replacement. Chipless. Asked about it while activating it over the phone and the rep said that EMV issuance is a "test program" that only applies to "selected accounts", of which mine was not one, and that if a rep previously said I was going to get one he was wrong. So nope, I think it's limited to MasterCards at this moment.

EDIT: If it makes a difference, the rep I got when activating my card specified she was from the "American office" while the guy doing the replacement didn't say but sounded like he was, well, from elsewhere.
My understanding is that it may just be for "World Elite" MasterCards.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by mia
Perhaps a team dedicated to servicing American Airlines co-branded cards.
In that case you'd think they would have their story straight about EMV issuance, since it seems to have started with the AA cards (starting with the Executive card, which only comes in MasterCard).

In that case, I wonder if they'll let me change to MasterCard? It seems like Visa/AmEx-network cards are the red-headed stepchildren of the Citi card product catalog.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
In that case, I wonder if they'll let me change to MasterCard? It seems like Visa/AmEx-network cards are the red-headed stepchildren of the Citi card product catalog.
You might be get a better answer in the AA forum or CitiAAdvantage cards thread.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Maybe. So far, the non-AA cobranded cards that are available with the Chip (at least so it was told by the agent over the phone) were:

Gekko Citi Chairman MC
CMHFlyerOH Citi Premier Mastercard
danpeake Citi Thank You Premier

No confirmation from these three if it actually came with a chip yet though.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
I haven't gotten my chip card yet so I can't say for certain, but I was able to request a chip card as a World (non elite) MC holder.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA,BA,DL,UA,US,Hilton Gold,MC Chairman,AMEX Plat
Got my Citi TY Premier World Elite card today with a chip and a flyer stating that it is a chip and Signature feature. I called a week ago.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:57 pm

Called about converting my Visa to a MC, agent said no dice. Asked again about getting my Visa with a chip and she said it wasn't available for all cards. Which matches up more with the reality at the moment than "test program" and "selected customers".
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: NZ*E, LT AA Plat, LT Bonvoy Plat + countless others
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Maybe. So far, the non-AA cobranded cards that are available with the Chip (at least so it was told by the agent over the phone) were:

Gekko Citi Chairman MC
CMHFlyerOH Citi Premier Mastercard
danpeake Citi Thank You Premier

No confirmation from these three if it actually came with a chip yet though.
Not received as yet, will be sure to let all know when received.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Row2
Got my Citi TY Premier World Elite card today with a chip and a flyer stating that it is a chip and Signature feature. I called a week ago.
Is the design any different from your previous card? For the AA World Elite MC that I have, the front looks the same except for the added chip, but for the rear, the signature portion seems to be positioned to the right, possibly to avoid damage to the chip which is directly behind it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.