Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

It is sometimes difficult to tell if a magnetic stripe card was declined because it lacks an EMV chip, or because it was issued outside the country. Discussion of merchants and machines which may not accept foreign payment cards has been extracted to a new thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ign-cards.html
Old Dec 15, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
cards with chips

Hi,

does anyone know which rewards cards have chips in them (for foreign travel) and no foreign transaction fee?

I'm looking for either a general travel rewards card or Delta, Hilton, or Marriott.

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:02 pm

Here is a long thread which discusses "chip and pin" cards in USA.

Though, I don't think any big banks in USA offer such cards as yet.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by flltravel
I don't think any big banks in USA offer such cards as yet.
In the U.S., Chase Bank introduced chip-and-signature technology on its British Airlines Visa cards a few weeks ago. My spouse and I both called Chase last week to verify this, and Chase is sending us the new cards, in advance of our regular card expiration dates. There is no extra charge for this feature. And Chase does not charge foreign transaction fees.

In November, we had our magnetic-swipe cards rejected at several retail locations in the U.K. (including the ticket kiosks in the London Underground, unfortunately).

Last edited by Steve in Olympia; Dec 15, 2011 at 5:23 pm Reason: tyo corrected
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
And Chase does not charge foreign transaction fees.
No quite - Chase does have some cards with FX fees. Most of the annual fee cards waived them however.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:13 am
mia

Moderator action

bludevil's question has been merged into the existing discussion of USA-issued EMV cards.

To summarize the situation as of late December 2011:

• All VISA card issuers have chosen to start with Chip & Signature rather than Chip & PIN.
  • Some MasterCard issuers have announced Chip & PIN, but none are actually available. (Possible exception some restricted membership credit unions.)
  • American Express (USA) has announced nothing, even though they issue Chip & PIN cards in many other markets.
  • The only rewards cards available today with no foreign transaction fees -and- EMV are from Chase (Chip & Signature):

JP Morgan Palladium VISA
JP Morgan Select VISA
British Airways VISA

Please review the preceding posts for practical reports on acceptance of Chip & Signature to judge if it is worthwhile for your travel pattern.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:27 am
mia

In November, we had our magnetic-swipe cards rejected at several retail locations in the U.K. (including the ticket kiosks in the London Underground, unfortunately).
Are you sure the card was rejected by the Underground machine because it was a swipe card? I have had the size of the ticket transaction limited -and- have been unable to use the same card for consecutive ticket transactions, but I have never had a swipe card rejected anywhere in London. I sometimes do need to guide the sales assistant through the process .
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by mia
Are you sure the card was rejected by the Underground machine because it was a swipe card? I have had the size of the ticket transaction limited -and- have been unable to use the same card for consecutive ticket transactions, but I have never had a swipe card rejected anywhere in London. I sometimes do need to guide the sales assistant through the process .
We have had our magnetic-swipe cards rejected repeatedly in the automated ticket kiosks of the London Underground, in various locations and on various trips. In each instance, the attendant at the ticket window was able to process the transaction, and they explained that swipe cards don't work in the kiosk machines.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
In each instance, the attendant at the ticket window was able to process the transaction, and they explained that swipe cards don't work in the kiosk machines.
The same is true for the Sydney Airport train now. They accept VISA and MC, their kiosks display the VISA and MC logo, but have the note "all card purchases require a PIN" and the slot will not read the mag-stripe. If your card only has a mag-stripe and only allows signatures, you have to go to the station attendant which there is usually a long line.

Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:09 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by kebosabi
The same is true for the Sydney Airport train now. They accept VISA and MC, their kiosks display the VISA and MC logo, but have the note "all card purchases require a PIN" and the slot will not read the mag-stripe. If your card only has a mag-stripe and only allows signatures, you have to go to the station attendant which there is usually a long line.

Maybe I am confused, but I was under the impression that you can set up a PIN on any US-based credit card for the purposes of getting a cash advance from an ATM. My credit card issuer has been pushing me to set up a PIN for a while now. Would the same PIN not work for purchases in other countries?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by cbn42
Maybe I am confused, but I was under the impression that you can set up a PIN on any US-based credit card for the purposes of getting a cash advance from an ATM. My credit card issuer has been pushing me to set up a PIN for a while now. Would the same PIN not work for purchases in other countries?
the slot will not read the mag-stripe

When you insert a mag-stripe only credit card, nothing happens because the slot itself is looking for the EMV chip. Only when the EMV chip is there will it ask for you to enter in a PIN.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by cbn42
In a number of European countries it works exactly like that. You swipe your mag-stripe card and the machine asks for the PIN. Most often I type in my ATM pin and the transaction goes through (coded rightly as a regular purchase). It only gets complicated when you tell the teller that you don't have a pin and they need to charge me with a signature authorization.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:27 pm

We have had our magnetic-swipe cards rejected repeatedly in the automated ticket kiosks of the London Underground, in various locations and on various trips. In each instance, the attendant at the ticket window was able to process the transaction, and they explained that swipe cards don't work in the kiosk machines.
Worked for me.

Swiped an American magstripe credit card this past week at the London Underground kiosk - worked instantly on the first US card I tried. It didn't even require a pin.

Ironically, I tried a British chip-pin card first, which was rejected because the PIN was "locked" (a feature of some new chip-pin cards which can only be unlocked at an ATM of the issuing FI).

Last edited by garyschmitt; Dec 17, 2011 at 3:36 pm
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:31 pm
mia

Originally Posted by garyschmitt
Swiped an American magstripe credit card this past week at the London Underground kiosk - worked instantly on the first US card I tried.
This has also been my experience, but our Oystercards now reload automatically, and I seldom use the machines. It is certainly possible that some machines have been fitted with new card readers which do not have swipe readers.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: Grounded
FWIW the chase rep I talked to when activating my sapphire preferred suggested that it might receive the chip at the end of Q1 2012, at the earliest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.