Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JoelTR
I actually did. But, in this thread, for example, the link given in the first post:

https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...BN3dPJB8bEAPl2

takes you to an application with no mention of any sort of bonus in it. It would be a big leap of faith for me to apply for a credit card where I don't even see the bonus in the application.
Yes, it is. Same leap that everyone else, including myself, took. If you read the thread you'll see the ratio of success to failure and why there isn't an offer page to be seen.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
I actually did. But, in this thread, for example, the link given in the first post takes you to an application with no mention of any sort of bonus in it. It would be a big leap of faith for me to apply for a credit card where I don't even see the bonus in the application.
You know many of the CC offers in FT are initially intended (Targeted) for specific individuals who make them available to the rest of us here on FT. You could say we are all taking a leap of faith when we apply for these offers using the provided links even if the bonus is clearly specified. Look around you'll see where sometimes people don't exactly get what was advertised.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:35 pm

FYI - http://www.hiltonhhonors.com/skywards5000 will give new members 1000 points for signing up. I used the link and didn't get the points, but I know of others that did. Go figure.

Can anyone tell me what the churn rate is for this Hilton card? Is it like the Citi AA cards of 18 months or can we churn this Hilton card sooner?

Edit: After some reading, it looks like I can churn every 65 days.

Last edited by fr33b13; Oct 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fr33b13
FYI - http://www.hiltonhhonors.com/skywards5000 will give new members 1000 points for signing up. I used the link and didn't get the points, but I know of others that did. Go figure.

Can anyone tell me what the churn rate is for this Hilton card? Is it like the Citi AA cards of 18 months or can we churn this Hilton card sooner?

Edit: After some reading, it looks like I can churn every 65 days.
Do you have to cancel it?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:47 pm

Is everyone using the link from post #1 or #468 nowadays?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Do you have to cancel it?
You do not have to cancel.

Originally Posted by sk8uno
Is everyone using the link from post #1 or #468 nowadays?
I used links #1 and #3 on post #468
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Open two inprivate windows (not tabs). Go back to your non-inprivate window and repeat the same process as you used to open your first one, to open a second one. tools ->inprivate browsing.

Now you have two windows that are independent of one another.

It's easy to test. Login to your gmail account on one, and click remember password. Go to gmail.com on the other. It will have no clue who you are.

On the other hand, you can do one app in inprivate and on app out of inprivate too. That was the original objective -- to separate the apps. If you have a reason you want two inprivate apps instead, you can follow the above.
I am so confuse about using different browsers, open 2 windows, clear cookie, use inprivate mode, etc.

What if I just use two computers to submit 2 applications simultaneously? Would that also work?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by echip
I am so confuse about using different browsers, open 2 windows, clear cookie, use inprivate mode, etc.

What if I just use two computers to submit 2 applications simultaneously? Would that also work?
That was what I was planning to do; it really is pretty easy for me to use my tablet and desktop or my laptop and tablet to submit two applications at same time from different devices.

But I would STILL clear cookies before doing this, just in case I had previously visited a page with the lower offer on one of the computers.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by echip

Yes, that is fine. The issue is using the same browser window twice or two windows or tabs of the same browser. Cookies and cached files get shared across the two and you may end up with a mess. I think people are making this far more complex than it needs to be.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:11 pm

OK, so I tried to replicate this (in a shorter timeframe):

1. Applied for 1 AA Visa and 1 AA AmEx on 4/22/2011, instant approval.
2. Applied for 1 AA Biz card on 7/02/2012, approved.
3. Applied for 1 AA Visa and 1 AA AmEx on 09/30/2012, both went to Step 3. Called, rejected as not First Time User.
4. Checked Experian Credit Report on 10/02/2012 only shows one Citi Hard Pull.
5. Applied for 1 HHonors Visa on 10/03/2012, went to Step 3.
Rejection as Too Many Apps received in mail today.

So that would seems to rule out basing 60 day rule on Credit Bureau Pulls.

Originally Posted by lkar
Nope.

The way I figure it, there could be a few things happening here:

1) Somehow I slipped through the cracks. Maybe the credit analyst that I was transferred to when I called in to check my application status decided to make an exception.

2) Only one of my AA applications went through. Seems unlikely, because I got two letters, but possible that it only tracked it internally at citi as one application.

3) Somehow, if you wait until the credit agency combines the two pulls (Expirian in my case), citi might only see it as one application.

4) Something else.

Obviously, 3 would be the most promising for the FT community, but I really can't be sure.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
takes you to an application with no mention of any sort of bonus in it. It would be a big leap of faith for me to apply for a credit card where I don't even see the bonus in the application.
I have often been told if your scared then go to church, the offer from these links have long expired and the landing page is no longer around, however you can still appply for these expired offers and get the bonus, if you need to see proof of the offer you can apply for the 40k citi card on the hilton website, i think the extra 10k each is worth the risk
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by particlemn
I have often been told if your scared then go to church, the offer from these links have long expired and the landing page is no longer around, however you can still appply for these expired offers and get the bonus, if you need to see proof of the offer you can apply for the 40k citi card on the hilton website, i think the extra 10k each is worth the risk
Agreed. Follow the steps set forth in this thread (or, for that matter, in the threads for other cards), and you'll generally be fine. I've gotten 4 Hilton cards, two at a time, in the last six months and earned 206K HHonors points (including points earned through the spending requirements). And thank you particlemn for providing the information earlier in this thread that got me those points.

I understand the reluctance of newbies to put faith in these techniques. I've felt this way as well, but one of the biggest mistakes I've made since being at FT was not having the faith that the "two browser" idea would work for two AA applications when I applied for only one card in April 2011.

As a result, I left 75K on the table by applying for only one card, had to wait at least 18 months to apply for my next set of cards, have seen the offer drop from 75K to 50K, and will have to wait out the possibility that by the time I can again apply for the AA cards, the "two browser" trick might no longer be available.

Is there risk? Of course there is. No guarantees that anything here will work 100% of the time or will work the same way tomorrow or next week. But, if you pay attention to the details set forth in the threads on this and other cards, you'll increase your chances of success.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
OK, so I tried to replicate this (in a shorter timeframe):

1. Applied for 1 AA Visa and 1 AA AmEx on 4/22/2011, instant approval.
2. Applied for 1 AA Biz card on 7/02/2012, approved.
3. Applied for 1 AA Visa and 1 AA AmEx on 09/30/2012, both went to Step 3. Called, rejected as not First Time User.
4. Checked Experian Credit Report on 10/02/2012 only shows one Citi Hard Pull.
5. Applied for 1 HHonors Visa on 10/03/2012, went to Step 3.
Rejection as Too Many Apps received in mail today.

So that would seems to rule out basing 60 day rule on Credit Bureau Pulls.
The Citi 65 (60++) day rule is a Citi rule, not a credit bureau rule. Citi does not combine application counts, it's the credit bureau pulls that are combined, that's something totally separate.

The Citi 65 (60++) day rule is no more than 2 Citi credit card apps within the past "60" days (which they don't always count properly, hence we tend to say 65).
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
There has never been a landing page for these Citi HHonors offers. I guess you could say that the email was the landing page. I can provide screenshots with the email offer if necessary and if I figure out how to post pictures online easily.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The Citi 65 (60++) day rule is a Citi rule, not a credit bureau rule. Citi does not combine application counts, it's the credit bureau pulls that are combined, that's something totally separate.

The Citi 65 (60++) day rule is no more than 2 Citi credit card apps within the past "60" days (which they don't always count properly, hence we tend to say 65).
Originally Posted by Ikar
First post
Please read Ikar's two posts, the second of which I linked in my comment and the other of which is now linked above. He reports applying for two Citi AA cards and then applying for and getting a Citi HHonors card ~45 days later.

How did that happen? How does Citi determine the number of applications in a 60 day period? It seems that if they had their own internal database of applications they would not need to pull a credit report. Additionally, they would know he had two apps in the previous 60 days and reject him. So he floated the theory that perhaps they were basing it on credit bureau pulls.

I suspected this was not the case but set out to disprove the theory nonetheless. If you would like to add some actual value to this discussion by doing your own experiment and reporting the results, feel free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.