Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LowFlyOver
I absolutely applied in a private browser. I was going to leave as little to chance as possible. There is part of me which wonders if my old card is seen as a "Surpass" card, since I applied for this one: https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...rd/71-1000-142
I would incline to think so too. The old regular HHonors lost its identity when it was upgraded to the Surpass. The AMEX system might see you only had a Surpass before this new card.

Seems the regular and the Surpass are "exempt" from the Once in a Lifetime rule AMEX puts on the SPG or DL cards, probably thanks to the Citi competition.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:55 pm

What are the odds of getting approved for this if I got an AAdvantage Business card last month?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I would incline to think so too. The old regular HHonors lost its identity when it was upgraded to the Surpass. The AMEX system might see you only had a Surpass before this new card.

Seems the regular and the Surpass are "exempt" from the Once in a Lifetime rule AMEX puts on the SPG or DL cards, probably thanks to the Citi competition.
One person said they got a 2nd surpass bonus after upgrading from the regular Amex while having their first Surpass still open.

Since they upgraded there is no doubt Amex knew who they were.

I find very little value ( already Gold) in one surpass besides multiple and the AF's
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
One person said they got a 2nd surpass bonus after upgrading from the regular Amex while having their first Surpass still open.

Since they upgraded there is no doubt Amex knew who they were.

I find very little value ( already Gold) in one surpass besides multiple and the AF's
A lot of people get either the Surpass or the Reserve is for the instant Gold.

I dont see why anyone would want it when the person still has Gold. However when the Gold runs out, these 2 cards are among the easiest way to return to Gold. Each card has its strong pt and weak pt - Surpass has lower fee but also much less bonus (50K). Reserve has 50% higher fee but you get 2 free weekend nights that can be used at any property.

For most people the Citi Reserve makes more sense even pay a $95 versus $65 when the 2 nights could be used at $400+ property (easy when you are in Hong Kong or Tokyo for example.)

Bottom line, what works for one person, may not work for the next person. Everyone would need to decide for himself. But the data points posted are still valuable to the community even though it may not to you.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Bottom line, what works for one person, may not work for the next person. Everyone would need to decide for himself. But the data points posted are still valuable to the community even though it may not to you.
Yes and that is why I added the data point that at least one person claims to have had a surpass open and got another surpass and the points

When my gold expires in 3/2016 I'll probably grab one
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by riversidetom
I called Citi and they called Hilton and Hilton says they need the CC# and exp date and then they will fix it.

I have a case # now and they said to call back when I get home and can provide the CC and it will be fixed.
called and gave them my CC & exp date and Hilton submitted it to member services and said 7-10 business days or less. said to keep checking my acct.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: All of em...
Yes and that is why I added the data point that at least one person claims to have had a surpass open and got another surpass and the points.
That was me. I also was never charged the annual fee either. Room to believe you can cycle the Amex Hilton & Surpass card still even w/the new rules due to the upgrading...

Called Hilton last week and got a case # and was told a supervisor would email me in 5-7 days. Glad to see there's some hope appearing in the thread at least!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by emmpee
Few tips:

- Call, don't email
- Keep explaining the issue them until they understand it
- Be nice, don't get angry, make them want to help you
- Emphasize that they are two completely different Citi accounts, and give them the last 4 digits of each card number (this may help them reconcile things with Citi)
- Don't hang up until you're satisfied with their answer (they won't hang up on you)
Maybe I'm just not assertive enough but I can't get anywhere. I had Citi bonuses post on 6/12 (50k) and 7/18 (60k). Should've had another 60k on 8/15. The agent I just got off the phone with was rather shocked that I could have three accounts like that (fortunately she didn't notice the Amex bonus that posted right on 6/8!). She was convinced I couldn't get multiple bonuses so I just ended the call and I'll try again in a bit.

edit: HUACA. Finally have a case number.

Last edited by txflyer77; Aug 27, 2014 at 8:33 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:41 am

Nobody has posted an issue with the FIRST 60k posting, it's the 2nd ( and possibly 3rd and 4th etc) that are not posting.

Wouldn't it be your 3rd 60K card ?

I would apply for a 50k card and then SM them upon activation to match the 60K offer. The points will most likely post as 10K and 50K and you have a better chance of getting them to post without jumping through hoops.
If I applied today for the 50k, is it still possible to get the 10k after the 8/31 deadline? I know chase has a 3 month rule to match an offer, but is citi the same?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
This is my first 60K card and I applied thru the 60K link. However, now I received the card and I called to confirm and they told me it was for 50K only and don't have the car rental credit. Help please!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:46 pm

What are the odds of getting approved for this if I got an AAdvantage Business card last month?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Wakinguptooearly
If I applied today for the 50k, is it still possible to get the 10k after the 8/31 deadline? I know chase has a 3 month rule to match an offer, but is citi the same?
SM them when you activate the card. Chances are they grant it and it posts as 10K and 50k. Hopefully that avoids the 60k disaster some are experiencing
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by milemission
This is my first 60K card and I applied thru the 60K link. However, now I received the card and I called to confirm and they told me it was for 50K only and don't have the car rental credit. Help please!
SM them the 60K link
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by bobloadmire

Saying everything else is in order Citi rules are 2 cards every 65 days or so
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Posted!

Happened to log in AMEX to check statement credits on the Small Business August (targeted for 5 cities in US, $5/$5 x 3 on each enrolled AMEX card )
Then the HHonors balance shown on AMEX site jumped out - 60K more!

The Hilton Customer Assistance route works! Case opened on Monday points included in the balance today - the resolution took only 2 days. Very good service! ^

P.S. I actually charged $5 on the card at Walgreens earlier today thinking we need to kick out a statement in order for the points to show up... Turns out it is not necessary at all.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 27, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.