Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Just a data point... Applied for the 50k plus $50 offer. Bonus points posted on time today, the day after statement close. The strange thing is that I could see the new total Last night incl. the bonus but it wasn't in the activity page until today. This is my 3rd card all still open. Previous cards bonus posted in June.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Just a data point... Applied for the 50k plus $50 offer. Bonus points posted on time today, the day after statement close. The strange thing is that I could see the new total Last night incl. the bonus but it wasn't in the activity page until today. This is my 3rd card all still open. Previous cards bonus posted in June.
For me I always see the Hilton points via increased balance and then they post on the activity the following day.

Have you had a 60k card ( June) and if so did the 60K post or was that another 50K card ?

I hope it's not the case but I have a feeling it's going to take while for people to get the 2nd 60K as it seems each case will have to be resolved individually.

IMO The problem with opening an investigation and not being able to answer questions is the reps are not thinking people get multiple card and bonuses so when the see one 60K post they close the case
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
for me i always see the hilton points via increased balance and then they post on the activity the following day.

have you had a 60k card ( june) and if so did the 60k post or was that another 50k card ?

i hope it's not the case but i have a feeling it's going to take while for people to get the 2nd 60k as it seems each case will have to be resolved individually.

Imo the problem with opening an investigation and not being able to answer questions is the reps are not thinking people get multiple card and bonuses so when the see one 60k post they close the case
50k, 60k, 50k + $50.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: All of em...
Have you had a 60k card ( June) and if so did the 60K post or was that another 50K card ?
50k, 60k, 50k + $50.
That's good news! Implies that we can hopefully at least switch to the 50k card now w/no issues. We'll see...
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:28 pm

Could you guys get this resolved before the end of the month? I need to apply for one more 60k card before the offer expires.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Could you guys get this resolved before the end of the month? I need to apply for one more 60k card before the offer expires.
IMO every one of the 60K problems is going to have to be resolved individually.

Since we now know a 50K has posted after a person had a 60K post
the issue is limited to multiple 60K bonuses so why even bother for 10K points ?

Chances are a 50K ( or 40K + $50 ) bonus will post.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Because I got a big 4506-T delay for my second 60k card, I stretched out the spend on my first 60k card, and only met the spend on that last week, and have my next statement posting tomorrow. So I won't know for a few days whether my first 60k posted to HHonors fine.
My card statement was available to view Saturday (after closing Friday), and showed 60k bonus earned, and this morning (Sunday) I see my points balance at the HHonors site incremented by a bit more than 60k (even though the points activity does not yet show the 60k itemized).

So there is still no problem with first 60k cards as far as I can see, and that seems to dispel the "outsource" theory.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO every one of the 60K problems is going to have to be resolved individually.

Since we now know a 50K has posted after a person had a 60K post
the issue is limited to multiple 60K bonuses so why even bother for 10K points ?

Or:

Apply for the 60k card now.

Apply for a 50k card later (no more than 65 days later, ie apply for the 50k as soon as the general Citi application spacing rules will allow).

Do the spend on the 50k card first.

Do the spend on the 60k card second.

(Ie, because the time limit on the $1k spend is 4th months, it's possible at least in theory to finish the spend in a different order than the order in which you applied for the cards!)

Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:41 am

Or:

Apply for the 60k card now.

Apply for a 50k card later (no more than 65 days later, ie apply for the 50k as soon as the general Citi application spacing rules will allow).

Do the spend on the 50k card first.

Do the spend on the 60k card second.
Since we now know a 50K has posted after a person had a 60K post the issue is limited to multiple 60K bonuses so why even bother for 10K points ?

Originally Posted by beltway
My post was pointed toward a person who already had a 60K card. If a person hasn't had a 60K card then go for that card first as the 60K will post

I don't think it matters when you complete the spend, that 2nd 60K is not going to just post or at least thus far we have no reason to believe it will.

I have had multiple 50K bonuses post and most recently a 60K post. I have no reason to believe if I got another 50K card and then a 60K card and made the 50K spend first that my 2nd 60K would post. To me the hassle for 10K points is not worth it for a card I can get over and over.

On a different note I did have Citi match the 60K offer on my last 50K card but it posted as a 10K adjustment and then the 50K so if you apply for the 50K and ask for 60k match you may have better luck getting the 60K points. I actually got lucky as I received 60K on 2 cards. Had I applied 2 days later when the 60K offer came out I would be in the same boats as everyone else who hasn't had their 2nd 60k post.

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 24, 2014 at 11:07 am
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My post was pointed toward a person who already had the 60K card. If a person hasn't had a 60K card then go for that card first as the 60K will post

I don't think it matters when you complete the spend, that 2nd 60K is not going to just post or at least thus far we have no reason to believe it will.
Agree. This is very obvious.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now, this may be just CSR-dreamed-up mythtalk, but I seem to recall reading that several CSRs were giving the previous 60k card info when someone called asking about the bonus for the current 60k card. If that is the case, then alternating in what order they post between the 50k and 60k might help, because the previous card posting would always be for a different size bonus.

Do we really know that multiple 50ks in a row are posting correctly right now? We seem to have few to no data points, because everyone's been applying for the 60k offer of course (at least to the point of having one 60k between two 50ks). I don't remember seeing any recent reports of a second 50k in a row either posting or not posting (since we started getting reports of the second 60k not posting).

Finally, some people have already applied for a second 60k card, but haven't completed the spend on it yet. So the question is what is the best approach for those people? Give up? Do the spend in the order you got the cards? Do the spend but delay it a couple months in hopes that the problem clears up then? Or get a 50k card in the meantime, do the spend on that first, and finish the 60k spend later?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:15 pm

Now, this may be just CSR-dreamed-up mythtalk, but I seem to recall reading that several CSRs were giving the previous 60k card info when someone called asking about the bonus for the current 60k card. If that is the case, then alternating in what order they post between the 50k and 60k might help, because the previous card posting would always be for a different size bonus.because everyone's been applying for the 60k offer of course (at least to the point of having one 60k between two 50ks). I don't remember

Do we really know that multiple 50ks in a row are posting correctly right now? We seem to have few to no data points, seeing any recent reports of a second 50k in a row either posting or not posting (since we started getting reports of the second 60k not posting).

Finally, some people have already applied for a second 60k card, but haven't completed the spend on it yet. So the question is what is the best approach for those people? Give up? Do the spend in the order you got the cards? Do the spend but delay it a couple months in hopes that the problem clears up then? Or get a 50k card in the meantime, do the spend on that first, and finish the 60k spend later?

We don't know a lot of things and I would not give up if you already have the card but as I said my post was directed at someone who already had the 60k card and wanted to APPLY for another card.

Now you are making up issues that haven't existed to date with multiple ( 40, 50K) not posting.

If that's the case then why not take it a step further and speculate that the churn is over ?

I had a 50K post in June, 50K ( plus 10K to match the 60K offer) post in July and 60k post in August so I have had back to back 50K post since the problem was reported. Since the 50K is not the best bonus available we will most likely not have any back to back 50K's post for a while.

People can do what they want, I'm applying for another card soon and it will not be the 60K because I feel my odds of having the points post are much higher and all I am risking by doing so is 10K Hilton points

Since the issue is only with multiple 60K cards I doubt is gets resolved as a whole and each will be done individually.

BTW, unless the 60K offer is extended beyond 8/31 only people who haven't applied for any Citi card in close to 2 months ( 2 cards , 65 days) would be able to get a 50K card and then a 60K card

If I had a 60K card open right now I would try to get a 50K card and complete that spend first but again my post was pointed at some applying for another 60K card today

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 24, 2014 at 12:29 pm
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: HHonors, SPG, ClubCarlson, AAdvantage, BA Avios, US Dividend Miles, UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyPesos
Data Point, If You Need Some Points *NOW*

A few pages back, I threatened to open another Amex card (after cancelling a previously "upgraded to" Surpass card). The 50k spend bonus already has posted, and I have made my booking. Since most of us are probably chasing HHonors points with both Citi and Amex, and as some of you may need to make a booking soon like I did, I just wanted to let you know. For the details, I opened my original HHonors Amex in early 2011, upgraded to Surpass in Spring 2013, and cancelled in January 2014. Now, as far as the new Amex, I opened it on 8/13, Amex rush delivered it to me by 8/15, and I met the spend on 8/16. Bonus points were posted to my account on 8/22.

I've opened a case with HHonors as well for the Citi points. Still no word, like the rest of us.

Last edited by LowFlyOver; Aug 25, 2014 at 12:09 am
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by LowFlyOver
A few pages back, I threatened to open another Amex card (after cancelling a previously "upgraded to" Surpass card). The 50k spend bonus already has posted, and I have made my booking. Since most of us are probably chasing HHonors points with both Citi and Amex, and as some of you may need to make a booking soon like I did, I just wanted to let you know. For the details, I opened my original HHonors Amex in early 2011, upgraded to Surpass in Spring 2013, and cancelled in January 2014. Now, as far as the new Amex, I opened it on 8/13, Amex rush delivered it to me by 8/15, and I met the spend on 8/16. Bonus points were posted to my account on 8/22.

I've opened a case with HHonors as well for the Citi points. Still no word, like the rest of us.
This seems to contradict Amex's new policy of one bonus per product per lifetime... have you reported this in the thread on the Amex board that is tracking this new policy and it's enforement?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by LowFlyOver
A few pages back, I threatened to open another Amex card
Mods, please investigate these "threats" lol

This seems to contradict Amex's new policy of one bonus per product per lifetime... have you reported this in the thread on the Amex board that is tracking this new policy and it's enforement?
Another poster said he got a 2nd Surpass bonus recently while having the first card open

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.