Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
You need to take posts on internet with a grain of salt - there is no way you can know how others credit profiles look like - a lot of factors go into play - credit history, credit mix, income level, profession, even age and where one lives, can all go into the making of risk assessment program to determine an approval or a denial.

Generalization is a dangerous thing when it comes to apply for credit.
Also true. A couple of years ago, I also heard about a service through Visa for banks that told the bank how many other Visa applications the prospective cardholder had had. I read about it either on creditboards or fatwallet, but essentially, even if Experian was clean, it's possible that inquiries on other credit bureaus were disclosed via that mechanism -- and then the 4-5 inquiries looked like too many.

And yeah, I could look that up, but I'm too lazy at the moment, but I know people were reporting being declined for that when they were clear of inquiries on one credit bureau, applied for a Visa, then were declined for too many inquiries on said credit bureau without disclosing the Visa information. All of the above assumes, of course, that people are straightforward about what their credit reports contain, which is never a given.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: Far too many
Business version of this card?

Originally Posted by psyflyer
And is there a business version? Thanks
Did psyflyer get an answer about a business version of this card? A link?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by travel light
Did psyflyer get an answer about a business version of this card? A link?
Pretty sure there is no business version of this credit card.
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/creditus.do
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Just got instant approval for 50K and 40K using two browser trick. Thanks guys!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: co,skymiles hilton a.a usair
Originally Posted by MJLouise
Just got instant approval for 50K and 40K using two browser trick. Thanks guys!
just receive two cards today diferent acount numbers from citi hilton only applie once
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:15 pm

Do we have any data on the churnability of this card? Citi's restrictive practices WRT churning the AA cards are pretty well documented, but I'm not aware of any comparable collective wisdom on the Hilton Visa.

(Yes, AA miles are worth more than HHonors points, I will stipulate. No lecture needed.)
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Do we have any data on the churnability of this card? Citi's restrictive practices WRT churning the AA cards are pretty well documented, but I'm not aware of any comparable collective wisdom on the Hilton Visa.

(Yes, AA miles are worth more than HHonors points, I will stipulate. No lecture needed.)
Does it have the same language in the T&C?

That said, I doubt there are many churners on the HHonor cards especially in the past it is 1 AA mile to 2 HHonor points transfer ratio. So this is really an untested ground. Would you like to be the tester?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:02 pm

Does it have the same language in the T&C?
Yes: "This offer is only valid for new accounts." With Citi, who knows whether it means the same thing here?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes: "This offer is only valid for new accounts." With Citi, who knows whether it means the same thing here?
Well, in this case as you said, there is no telling. Though I suspect Citi may not put in the same mechanism as rigid as the AA cards which by far are the most popular Citicards.

I suspect as time goes by there are may be more folks turn to repeat other Citicards when they are shut out from the AA cards - then we would hopefully see some actual data points. Until this happens, we are basically flying in the dark.

Personally I looked at HHonor program many times whenever I am tempted to do the HHonor cards. Each time after re-look the Hotel Categories it reaffirms me WHY I have not done an HHonor card for years. Even without the latest devaluation, HHonor redemption chart just looks awful including the charts available to cardholders. (Did one several years ago when I did not realize 1 AA mile = 2 HHonor pts.)
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
I hope the 75K offer that was available last year comes up again.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D

Personally I looked at HHonor program many times whenever I am tempted to do the HHonor cards. Each time after re-look the Hotel Categories it reaffirms me WHY I have not done an HHonor card for years. Even without the latest devaluation, HHonor redemption chart just looks awful including the charts available to cardholders. (Did one several years ago when I did not realize 1 AA mile = 2 HHonor pts.)
Yeah, the points aren't that valuable, but I'm looking at domestic travel in smallish markets where sometimes the Hampton is the nicest place in town This combined with the AmEx Hilton card (for the AXON awards) might make a 4 or 5 night stay more feasible for a budget minded traveler like myself.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:52 pm

It is churnable, the magic words for Citi "first time account", this one does not say it. I can tell you that there is some success with churning it. Good luck.

Best,

PedroNY
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MJLouise
Yeah, the points aren't that valuable, but I'm looking at domestic travel in smallish markets where sometimes the Hampton is the nicest place in town This combined with the AmEx Hilton card (for the AXON awards) might make a 4 or 5 night stay more feasible for a budget minded traveler like myself.
The Hampton Inn aint cheap on the HHonor chart.

You would be surprised by how many HHonor points it costs in many smallish towns in US.

My suggestion is to check the Hotels' category on the chart to get a better understanding on how many points they cost - I can assure you it is a shocking discovery.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I can say is that was the wording that AA cards had a few years ago when they were (frequently) churnable. They meant "new card accounts", and obviously if you were aplying for a card online, you were aplying for a new card account. It was language meant to explain that you couldn't get the bonus for a card you already had. It had nothing to do with whether you already had a different card with a different account number.

But of course, that was simply their interpration of that sentence back then, and I have no idea whether on Citi apps of today that include that sentence the interpretation is the same as back then.

Any guinea pigs around?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
The link is providing an error. Tried it in a cleared out browser and still didn't work. Anyone have a 50k working link?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.