Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
Should I go for 2x 50k Visa, or 1 50k Visa + no-fee Amex, then upgrade it to Surpass?
Why not doing 2 X 50k Visa and no fee Amex?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by imslippy
well, I wish they would've told me I was getting the gold card either when they approvedc my application, the follow up email, or the snail mail they sent me a few days before the actual card. sigh
if they tell me I get very little points is there even a point in keeping the card?
It is generally bad to close any card right after you got it. The had pull on your credit report has already happened and closing the card cannot automatically remove it. Even if you get less than 50k (and I doubt it), keep the card for 6+ months then cancel if you wish to do so.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP
okay. thanks for the heads-up
i'll make the call now and see what i get

Edit: Made the call, everything seems to be the same, even the 50k point bonus. it's missing concierge service and going over budget or something.....
but at least the points are there =]

Last edited by imslippy; Nov 11, 2012 at 10:21 am
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by michael_v
Why not doing 2 X 50k Visa and no fee Amex?
EDIT: never mind.

Last edited by beltway; Nov 11, 2012 at 10:19 am
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:10 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by beltway
I suggest you read post #1.
Wait it sounded like a good idea whats wrong with that? 2 from Citi 1 from Amex
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:20 am
Suspended

Wait it sounded like a good idea whats wrong with that? 2 from Citi 1 from Amex
Sorry, got my threads crossed. 2 from Citi would be fine (assuming no other apps in last 60-65 days, etc.).
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Just applied with the two links in post 468, instant approval for both. I now have 3 HH visa, 1 AA amex, and 1 AA business visa with city, each with a $20K(!!??) credit lien - I think I better cool it for while with city.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Worth it to send in tax form for second card?

So I applied for the Amex and 2 citi hhonors cards last week. I was instantly approved for the Amex and had to call citi. Citi needed to verify my ssn, they said I entered the wrong ssn on the app-highly unlikely I think the problem was in their app. Anyway they got it settled and I was approved so I hung up and applied again. This app said it needed further review so I called again. They said they could not approve the second app and I would have to wait. So I waited a few days and called back and was told I was sent a form I would have to submit. Well this turned out to be an IRS form authorizing them to access my return, now I have zero problem with that but---it also says I authorize them to pull my credit again.

I had a similar situation where I was denied the citi biz aadvantage card and had to submit docs and they ended up approving the card but in total it took two months and they pulled my credit report 3 times.

I just don't think it's worth all the hassle to go through to get the second card and 50k Hilton points. What so you all think? Should I drop it? Will not sending the form cause problems with my next citi app?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: United 1P, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sweetz_21_83
So I applied for the Amex and 2 citi hhonors cards last week. I was instantly approved for the Amex and had to call citi. Citi needed to verify my ssn, they said I entered the wrong ssn on the app-highly unlikely I think the problem was in their app. Anyway they got it settled and I was approved so I hung up and applied again. This app said it needed further review so I called again. They said they could not approve the second app and I would have to wait. So I waited a few days and called back and was told I was sent a form I would have to submit. Well this turned out to be an IRS form authorizing them to access my return, now I have zero problem with that but---it also says I authorize them to pull my credit again.

I had a similar situation where I was denied the citi biz aadvantage card and had to submit docs and they ended up approving the card but in total it took two months and they pulled my credit report 3 times.

I just don't think it's worth all the hassle to go through to get the second card and 50k Hilton points. What so you all think? Should I drop it? Will not sending the form cause problems with my next citi app?
If the points are worth it to you then you should do it.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
First of all, you have to make sure your points have already posted to Hilton HHonors (and to the correct account there! sometimes Citi makes mistakes with account number, so until you verify at HH, not just on your Citi statement, that you got the bonus points I would not close the card). If you haven't gotten to that point by day 64, then definitely don't close. If the points have posted correctly to HHonors already, then no, Citi doesn't clawback, no matter when after that you cancel the card.

Second, if you close before you apply for the new cards, they can't pull credit limit from the cards you just closed to the new cards. In some cases, that may turn out to cause you to be denied ("we cannot offer you more credit")! The better approach is to either close the cards many months before you apply for new ones (obviously not psosibly if you're trying to apply after 65 days), or else leave the previous cards open until you've been successfully issued new cards.

Btw, that's one possible hitch with applying every 65 days: It can take much more than 65 days for cancelled cards to return credit limit to your "pool"; and so you'll always be 2 to 4 cards' worth of credit limit "behind" at that rate. So depending on how much credit they're willing to offer you, that might put a limit on how often you can really apply for these cards (on a repeating basis).

(On the other hand, if you keep all the cards open, you'll eventually hit Citi's "you have too many open cards with us" situation. So therein's the dilemma when to cancel what if you want to keep applying every 65 days.)

I'm dreading the day when I call up and I ask them to move credit from an old Citi Hilton to a new Citi Hilton that I'm opening up. That'll be a fun conversation.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I just got approved for 2x Citi Hilton cards after moving credit line from my 2X Citi AA Bronze Cards. I also got approved for Ink Plus and United Explorer. I am going to blog about my experience tonight on my blog. 4 Credit Card approvals using 4 browsers! Find me on google if you can
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by romsdeals3
I just got approved for 2x Citi Hilton cards after moving credit line from my 2X Citi AA Bronze Cards. I also got approved for Ink Plus and United Explorer. I am going to blog about my experience tonight on my blog. 4 Credit Card approvals using 4 browsers! Find me on google if you can

You called? I'm on the edge...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
You called? I'm on the edge...
I called the application status 866-606-2787. They needed to verify my new address (just moved) so had to send a CC statement. They offered to move credit line to the two new cards to approve them both.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:11 am

They do seem to be kinda slow on sending out approval emails.

I applied last Monday and got instant approval (two browser).
Got the actual emails just last night though.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:45 pm

Called and provided ID, easy took 3-5 min no questions, just had to move credit from AA Visa.

Data: 2 browser trick and got both for 100k.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.