Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Which Credit Card(s) Have the Best Purchase Protection/Warranty?

Old May 21, 2011, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: WoH Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz Prez's Circle

Which travel (or other) credit cards have the best additional warranty and/or purchase protection?

A lot of us have some of those high bonus cards, like the BA Visa, Priority Club Visa, AA cards, Venture card, CO card, DL Amex, etc., but which is the best for online and other purchases?

Since things like TVs die easily, maybe we can get a sense of which cards have the best warranty, purchase protection, etc.
Old May 21, 2011, 10:57 am

Many cards come with an additional 1 year warranty protection through the CC processor (Mastercard, Visa, AMEX, etc.). I think the general consensus is that the warranty service of AMEX is better to significantly better than the others. I have heard good things about visa signature warranty coverage, but nothing superior to AMEX.

For return protection, cards issued by AMEX (e.g. not a Citi Amex card) come with a 90 day $300/item return protection plan for up to $1000 per year. I have taken advantage of this for an item the merchant wouldn't take back, and it was painless.

Most or all of my electronic purchases are done with one of my AMEX's.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Also keep in mind that there is a difference between having the best terms and being the easiest actually get a claim honored. That is why I try to focus spending on my AMEX when it make sense as they seem to have the best reputation for customer service.
Old May 21, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: Grounded
I've personally found:

All - 2x manufacturer's warranty, up to 1 year additional, on top of:
MC - 1 year original warranty
Visa Plat/Signature - 3 years
AMEX - 5 years
Citi - 1 year, regardless of card network

I heard that Visa includes remanufactured/refurbished items while everyone else does not, but I didn't verify that.

In any case, I try to put my important items on AMEX or Visa cards, and stay away from Citi and MC if warranty is a concern.
Old May 21, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: aa
I have a Citi MC which doubles your warranty period up to 1 year. The constraint is that the original warranty should not exceed 1 year. If you purchase extended warranty yourself, they are willing to start their warranty coverage after that expires but again the extended warranty cannot exceed 1 year.

Last edited by sun_aa; May 21, 2011 at 5:56 pm
Old May 22, 2011, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by qwerty12345
For return protection, cards issued by AMEX (e.g. not a Citi Amex card) come with a 90 day $300/item return protection plan for up to $1000 per year.
The amount of this coverage completely varies by level of charge (Green, Gold, Plat, Cent)
Old May 22, 2011, 2:00 pm

Amex (SPG) ^
Old May 22, 2011, 4:47 pm

AMEX claim link w/ details?
Old May 22, 2011, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by vickh
AMEX claim link w/ details?
General details behind the AMEX benefits (and claim forms) are at:
https://www.onlineclaim.americanexpress.com/

However, unless you punch in your card number, it will not tell you what programs you are actually eligible for.
Old May 22, 2011, 8:16 pm

schwab cc has been pretty good for me. all claims always paid easily. also not all amex card warranties are created equal regarding purchase protection
Old May 22, 2011, 9:07 pm

The Chase Continental OnePass Plus card has a price protection guarantee that I haven't seen on other cards with a sub $100 annual fee. It also has some trip cancellation benefits you won't find on other cards.

The catch with warranty extension on credit cards is you can't cancel the card and keep the protection. That gets pricey if the card has an annual fee so I would go with a non-annual fee card for warranty protection.
Old May 22, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by adambadam
Also keep in mind that there is a difference between having the best terms and being the easiest actually get a claim honored. That is why I try to focus spending on my AMEX when it make sense as they seem to have the best reputation for customer service.
I had a cellphone charger stolen from a hotel lobby 30min after the purchase (fortunately the phone was already in my pocket).

Filled out the AMEX form online and got a "please call us message". Filled it out again and said it was "lost", and got a "claim filed" message and money back within 3-4 days.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Purchase Protection, Lost Luggage & Warrenty

I was curious to know what are the best benefits out there on all cards.
I own a few citi aa cards which offers a small amount of benefits in regards to what a platinum amex offers.

If I would purchase a ticket(luggage under the plane) or a high price ticket item I usually tend to use my Platinum Amex but what other cards offer good benefits?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:25 am

Credit card protection

I just redeemed a flight to Thailand round trip with AA. So I used chase sapphire card to pay for tax and booking fee. Do I get all the coverage that the card provides, even thought I only paid for tax and booking fee?

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:09 pm

I'd also be really interested in knowing this. Anybody have an answer?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.