Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pls help-- got robbed in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

I was playing hide and go seek with my daughter in a park in Barcelona while my wife watched our stuff when she decided to take a picture. At that well timed moment a thief took our camera bag right out of the stroller in front of her. They made off with $2500 of camera gear / electronics and both of our wallets. Thankfully we left our passports and a backup credit card in the hotel.

I immediately called all of our credit card companies and reported the cards stolen. However, my wife forgot about one of her cards and the thieves tried to charge $240 of clothes. Thankfully Chase declined the charge so I'm hoping a fraudulent charge report won't go to the credit agencies.

So I'm wondering if the collective knowledge here of all things CC related can help me. First, do any of my cards insure against such incidents? I've got Chase Sapphire Visa Signature, Barclay's world MC, and a Starwood Amex among others. Second, how can I get cash in France tomorrow without my BoA ATM card? (BNP Paribas is their sister bank there). Third, how do I rent a car without a DL? I was able to scrounge up a copy on Gmail from a mortgage application, but that's it. Finally, is this going to have to delay my next AOR? I'm just thinking the cc comps won't like this.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Oh and one other fun note: several other tourists saw the whole thing and did NOTHING!
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jmiller2032
I was playing hide and go seek with my daughter in a park in Barcelona while my wife watched our stuff when she decided to take a picture. At that well timed moment a thief took our camera bag right out of the stroller in front of her. They made off with $2500 of camera gear / electronics and both of our wallets. Thankfully we left our passports and a backup credit card in the hotel.

I immediately called all of our credit card companies and reported the cards stolen. However, my wife forgot about one of her cards and the thieves tried to charge $240 of clothes. Thankfully Chase declined the charge so I'm hoping a fraudulent charge report won't go to the credit agencies.

So I'm wondering if the collective knowledge here of all things CC related can help me. First, do any of my cards insure against such incidents? I've got Chase Sapphire Visa Signature, Barclay's world MC, and a Starwood Amex among others. Second, how can I get cash in France tomorrow without my BoA ATM card? (BNP Paribas is their sister bank there). Third, how do I rent a car without a DL? I was able to scrounge up a copy on Gmail from a mortgage application, but that's it. Finally, is this going to have to delay my next AOR? I'm just thinking the cc comps won't like this.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Oh and one other fun note: several other tourists saw the whole thing and did NOTHING!
Already thinking how it affects you next AOR? That's the spirit!

First, off, you have nothing to fear in terms of credit reports; fraudelent charges won't go there. In terms of cash, you could call Amex and ask them to loan you some money at the Amex office. Also, what card did you buy your photo gear with? Both Visa Signature and some Amex cards cover theft while traveling from what I recall. Sorry it happened to you, hope you've filed the police report.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'd be able to rent a car and especially drive in Europe without a license. Look into International Drivers License, I guess, but they will still need the proof that you can drive in your own country.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Haha I laughed for the first time today at your AOR comment.

I did in fact use my Sapphire for my camera. unfortunately I bought it 4 months ago and theft protection is only for 90 days according to their site. Funny thing is I left my other camera in the room and it would be eligible for theft protection.

I'll see if there's an Amex office in Nice or Marsailles.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:53 pm

If you have a photocopy of you DL you might be in luck. If you can use a rental agency you have a relationship with (like Avis) they should be able to help. You have positive ID with the passport and they have a track record of you from your past rentals. I had a similar issue a while ago and they accepted the copy.

Something that I do whenever I go on a trip is I scan front and back everything in my wallet and all my travel documents. I then e-mail myself and my wife the scans. Makes it easier is something like this happens.

I love your attitude On the AOR. Don't let that crook ruin your trip.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
If you have Hertz #1 Club Gold, they don't check your ID when you rent, you just spot your name on the board, find your car and go.

But the trick is you have to use a CC to pay that you've already used in the past. If you put in a new CC# on the rental, they will require you to go to the counter and show your CC, and sometimes your ID. So it would have to be paid for by a card that is 1) on your account already 2) still valid 3) if it was one of the stolen cards, you'd want to initiate your rental and pick up your car BEFORE you call that CC company to cancel it.

Later when you return the car if the CC has been canceled that's no problem, you can give them another card to pay or pay with cash. At that point it becomes a simple payment issue instead of a "no ID, no CC" problem.

Best of luck, hope it works out okay.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:16 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
Hertz Gold will check your ID unless someone is slacking at the checkout booth!
Old Aug 10, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Originally Posted by HealthyAcademic
Hertz Gold will check your ID unless someone is slacking at the checkout booth!
Oops, forgot about that. Nevermind.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:48 am
In memoriam

We had much the same issue come up years ago in Avignon. Except we also had our passports stolen.

Turns out that a police report reporting a stolen passport can be used in place of a passport, at least in Europe, so you can cross the border on your way to get a new passport (and also to check into a hotel).

Perhaps the same thing will work for a stolen DL?

By the way, Barcelona is the most thief ridden place I have even been (Lisbon a distant second). Saw or were the attempted victims of half a dozen thefts in a four day visit. Beautiful city though. But next time I think I'll skip it.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:28 am

So you would expect "another tourist" to do.. what?

Physically intervene, turning a non-violent theft into a confrontation...possibly putting themselves at risk of injury to protect your entirely replaceable property?

Or what?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:01 am

I rented a car in Barcelona a few years back as a Hertz #1 Gold member and left my DL in Italy. They would not let me rent the car even with the DL on file and a passport. An International Drivers License is unlikely to help.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by trooper
So you would expect "another tourist" to do.. what?

Physically intervene, turning a non-violent theft into a confrontation...possibly putting themselves at risk of injury to protect your entirely replaceable property?

Or what?
Exactly the question I had upon reading the OP.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Well, if I were to witness a crime like that in the US, I would dial 911 at least. Of course, the chances of catching the thief are slim anyway, but at least it would make things easier for a tourist (especially if they don't speak the language) if the police quickly arrived at the scene.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Literally just yell "thief!" That's it. All that's needed in the situation is to alert the property owner that their stuff is being stolen.

The good news is I got the rental car! At first Hertz didn't want to do it, but having a police report and a copy of my license seemed to help. Hertz got a lot of brand loyalty from me now!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA silver
Having lived in Barcelona and personally witnessed someone beat the s**t out of pick pockets, I'd say it's socially acceptable. The cops just watched and didn't care.

It's also perfectly acceptable to use physical force to get the hookers to leave you alone. I learned that one quickly when I was walking back from a bar at around 3 am. One of them walked up to me, grabbed me by my junk, and proceeded to tell me the going rates for various acts of debauchery.

Fun but interesting city...
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by wmonty67
Having lived in Barcelona and personally witnessed someone beat the s**t out of pick pockets, I'd say it's socially acceptable. The cops just watched and didn't care.

It's also perfectly acceptable to use physical force to get the hookers to leave you alone. I learned that one quickly when I was walking back from a bar at around 3 am. One of them walked up to me, grabbed me by my junk, and proceeded to tell me the going rates for various acts of debauchery.

Fun but interesting city...
Just to clarify that the OPs situation is different. He is traveling with a wife and baby girl in tow so too many bad scenarios can happen and none of them good. Its different if traveling with a few " big buddies" in tow instead--In this case, what the OP did was correct. Just Report the theft and wait for backup and help. IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.