Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner
Will chase just exchange my Explorer card for the Hyatt card? That would avoid a credit pull, right?
Also I forgot to add that Chase usually requires the account to be open for 12 months before they will let you product change to something else. I'm not sure if this applies to you, but figured I'd mention it.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by mnscout
There is no link. You need to access your United account to get their targeted offer. The chances are if you have any United miles in your account, you will receive it after you log in. If you have Continental miles, you could transfer a few miles to United to trigger the offer.
Can you use the targeted offer to apply for someone else who has a United account but without any miles? I have miles but my spouse doesn't...at least not yet. Trying to figure out how to get miles into her account without flying. Rental car, perhaps...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:56 am

In order to get both the United and Sapphire, I should apply for the United first and then the Sapphire or is it the other way around? How long do I have to wait between each application? Can I apply on the same day?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Ducati
In order to get both the United and Sapphire, I should apply for the United first and then the Sapphire or is it the other way around? How long do I have to wait between each application? Can I apply on the same day?
You can apply on the same day, you'll just need to call the recon line on the 2nd application. I would apply for whichever one you want the most first, to at least get that card approved. Then apply for the 2nd card and give the reconsideration department a call to explain things.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11
You can apply on the same day, you'll just need to call the recon line on the 2nd application. I would apply for whichever one you want the most first, to at least get that card approved. Then apply for the 2nd card and give the reconsideration department a call to explain things.
Thanks! What sort of explanation do I give?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:17 pm

Well the CSP has no FTF and a number of other benefits. Tell them you want it for international travel. If they ask why the United Card, just say that's your primary airline and you like all of the benefits they provide with the card (priority boarding, club passes, etc.).

Study the cards and know the benefits, they are more likely to give you the benefit of the doubt if you can explain exactly why you want each one.

Obviously don't call up and just say you'd like 100k points.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
I applied for a freedom card a week ago. Tried calling in the automatic line and just got no decision has been made please wait type message. I only have sapphire pref card from chase. Is there any other number I can call to get a decision?

I think I called a number for my sapphire pref after a week and got a decision over the phone. Or just let it wait? I'd like to use the amazon bonus before it runs out.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11
Well the CSP has no FTF and a number of other benefits. Tell them you want it for international travel. If they ask why the United Card, just say that's your primary airline and you like all of the benefits they provide with the card (priority boarding, club passes, etc.).

Study the cards and know the benefits, they are more likely to give you the benefit of the doubt if you can explain exactly why you want each one.

Obviously don't call up and just say you'd like 100k points.
Thanks again for your poignant responses. I called 888-245-0625 and the CSR said that the second card was declined. But since customers are allowed to have two apps in 30 days, she approved the second card. The CSR never asked why I needed the second card. She was very courteous and helpful.

Last edited by Ducati; Mar 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Altoid
I applied for a freedom card a week ago. Tried calling in the automatic line and just got no decision has been made please wait type message. I only have sapphire pref card from chase. Is there any other number I can call to get a decision?

I think I called a number for my sapphire pref after a week and got a decision over the phone. Or just let it wait? I'd like to use the amazon bonus before it runs out.
For Chase, call this number to get connected directly to an analyst who can approve it: 888-245-0625
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:24 pm

Thanks again for your poignant responses. I called 888-245-0625 and the CSR said that the second card was declined. But since customers are allowed to have two apps in 30 days, she approved the second card. The CSR never asked why I needed the second card. She was very courteous and helpful.
Sure thing! Glad it worked out for you, sounds like you got a nice CSR.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:12 am

Just a warning to all:

Have had 3 cards with Chase, 2 from November one in January. All 3 with same credit limit. A few days ago they decided to close one account without notice. Then another one they decreased the credit limit by 85%.

All in all, they closed one card and effectively reduced my credit limit by almost 65% between the 3 of them.

No late payments, no abuse, no dormant cards for 3 months. Careful, all.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: CO, BA, UA, AA, PC, HH, MARRIOT, HYATT, MR, STARWOOD
Originally Posted by Bachovas
Just a warning to all:

Have had 3 cards with Chase, 2 from November one in January. All 3 with same credit limit. A few days ago they decided to close one account without notice. Then another one they decreased the credit limit by 85%.

All in all, they closed one card and effectively reduced my credit limit by almost 65% between the 3 of them.

No late payments, no abuse, no dormant cards for 3 months. Careful, all.
As Paul Harvey used to say, and now the rest of the story-please. Like-how much did you inflate your income by or-how many thousands of gift cards did you buy?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:13 am

Not a single gift card. 2 of the 3 cards at <5% utilization. Other card I was using for everything and got to about 95% utilization. Before they closed one of the <5% cards on Monday I was using about 35% of my total credit line with the bank.

Called and was told on Wednesday I became a financial risk. Have since payed all remaining balance. IMO, they just freaked out.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:12 am

When getting these cards, I always call to reduce my line of credit to say $7,000. I don't need a $16,000 limit on a single card.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bachovas
Not a single gift card. 2 of the 3 cards at <5% utilization. Other card I was using for everything and got to about 95% utilization. Before they closed one of the <5% cards on Monday I was using about 35% of my total credit line with the bank.

Called and was told on Wednesday I became a financial risk. Have since payed all remaining balance. IMO, they just freaked out.
95% utilization is really not a great idea, IMHO. I'd try to move some of the credit lines around to avoid that if I wanted to use one card that much.

That said, I'm curious whether you had a lot of new credit, or high utilization ratios, with cards from other issuers. As I recall, somebody wrote to FTG a week or so ago saying Chase has closed him down because he'd opened a number of new accounts -- which were apparently the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back -- with Citi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.