Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Prestige cardholders: the current value of points is $0.016 if redeemed for flights on American Airlines, or $0.0133 on other airlines.

The redemption value on all airlines changes to $0.0125, on July 23, 2017. This is the same value as Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Discussion is in this thread:

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes

If the TYP portal is not showing the lowest fares you've identified on Google, an OTA, or the airline directly -- call Citi TYP and then ask to get Connexions on the line. Doesn't cost extra to do book that way....but will take longer and manual bookings will NOT show up in your TYP MyTrips tab.

TYP portal pricing should be verified for every flight, it cannot be trusted to show the lowest fare. Also scroll over all the way, since some carriers are not on the main screen, and may have lower fares/points than their preferred carriers.
Print Wikipost

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by trinidon2k
So was the old premier a 33% discount? I feel like I always used *.67
I answered your question already. If Citi gave a 33% discount, that would mean the TYP would have been valued at 1.5x which Citi never did for the premier(or any card that i know of).

Originally Posted by TheXMan
The prestige/old premier calculation is a 25% discount. Another way to say it is that your TYP are worth 33% more:

300*.75=225
225*1.33=300

The new premier card is a 20% discount or TYP worth 25% more:

300*.8=240
240*1.25=300

So your calc of 300*.67 is incorrect.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: united 1k
it's not 33% discount, it's just "33% more value"
Originally Posted by TheXMan
I answered your question already. If Citi gave a 33% discount, that would mean the TYP would have been valued at 1.5x which Citi never did for the premier(or any card that i know of).
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by buhuffer
it's not 33% discount, it's just "33% more value"
Did you read my post at all? I was answering trinidon2k question. He was asking if it was a 33% discount and I said it wasn't. And if it were it would mean 50% more value which has never happened.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:56 am

Thanks TheXMan
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Booked a couple of awards for the first time in a while & noticed a positive development: instead of pricing $5 to $15 higher than published fares, the TYP awards seemed to be about a buck & change higher (with the points costs coming in at the appropriate ratios). In a perfect world, these awards would involve no chiseling at all, but at least it feels as if the pricing has gotten a little closer to the real world.

(And yes, I know this comes in the wake of the Grand 2013 Devaluation, which was no cause for celebration. Can't win 'em all.)
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:28 pm

Has anyone had any experiences, positive or negative, with getting connexions/TY to go to bat for you on a cancellation for a schedule change?

Short story is that I booked a ticket with points departing PHX at 6:30 a.m. on UA. I was already ambivalent about leaving that early, because I'm flying TATL later that day on a split ticket. Now the flight has been moved back to 6:00 a.m., and there's just no way I'm going to fly it. There's nothing later in the day on UA that doesn't make me nervous about my connection, but I can get a good flight on AA around 8:00 a.m. for about $150, so I'll probably just do that and eat the ticket. $150 for two extra hours of sleep before a big flight is a bit extravagant, but just thinking about that 6:00 a.m. makes me tired.

Anyway, I've had decent luck dealing with UA on getting refunds for schedule changes. Thirty minutes is pretty minor, but given the time of day, I'd certainly take a shot or two if I had booked it directly to try to appeal to their discretion to get a refund. Since it's a TY ticket, though, I'd need to go through connexions' schedule change department. I've had one experience with them and it was unpleasant. In fact, I find that they pretty much seem only to know the word "no" in general at connexions. Has anyone had a different experience, or do you know any magic words to get them to try to be your friend on a request like this? Last time I dealt with their schedule people, it was a 30 minute hold and lots of frustration, so if this one is simply a no go from the get go, I'll probably just pass.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by lkar
Has anyone had any experiences, positive or negative, with getting connexions/TY to go to bat for you on a cancellation for a schedule change?

Short story is that I booked a ticket with points departing PHX at 6:30 a.m. on UA. I was already ambivalent about leaving that early, because I'm flying TATL later that day on a split ticket. Now the flight has been moved back to 6:00 a.m., and there's just no way I'm going to fly it. There's nothing later in the day on UA that doesn't make me nervous about my connection, but I can get a good flight on AA around 8:00 a.m. for about $150, so I'll probably just do that and eat the ticket. $150 for two extra hours of sleep before a big flight is a bit extravagant, but just thinking about that 6:00 a.m. makes me tired.

Anyway, I've had decent luck dealing with UA on getting refunds for schedule changes. Thirty minutes is pretty minor, but given the time of day, I'd certainly take a shot or two if I had booked it directly to try to appeal to their discretion to get a refund. Since it's a TY ticket, though, I'd need to go through connexions' schedule change department. I've had one experience with them and it was unpleasant. In fact, I find that they pretty much seem only to know the word "no" in general at connexions. Has anyone had a different experience, or do you know any magic words to get them to try to be your friend on a request like this? Last time I dealt with their schedule people, it was a 30 minute hold and lots of frustration, so if this one is simply a no go from the get go, I'll probably just pass.
They are far from helpful. My mom had a flight from LAX > PHX and ended up having to cancel because she was in the hospital with pneumonia. They wouldn't give her jack.

I ended up SMing Citigold and they comped her 5K points (ticket was only like ~8500), but that was Citigold that did that, not TY/connexions.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by roki
They are far from helpful. My mom had a flight from LAX > PHX and ended up having to cancel because she was in the hospital with pneumonia. They wouldn't give her jack.
Does the trip cancellation/interruption insurance not cover that?
Old May 24, 2014, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by roki

I ended up SMing Citigold and they comped her 5K points (ticket was only like ~8500), but that was Citigold that did that, not TY/connexions.
I would like to think that if several Prestige cardholders spoke up about our dissatisfaction with connexions, Citi would listen. At this point it is the only thing holding me back from applying for Prestige.

I highly value free 24 hour hold/cancellation policies, but connexions will charge a ~$30 fee to cancel within 24 hrs of booking. They waived this the first time as a "one time courtesy", and they absolutely meant one time as I tried calling 4-5 times the second time I wanted it and wasn't able to slip one past anyone there.
Old May 26, 2014, 5:46 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I am having issues with TYP portal (I have the Prestige card) showing $200-300 more for AA First/Business class tickets.

I want to book PIT-LAS in F, the fare is $919, but TYP is showing the fare at ~$1200 for the same itinerary, or if I book as two one ways, it is $1,010.

Another trip I want to make is showing almost $80 more another trip is $65 more. The other times, it just spits out the no airline included on our website matches your search criteria error.

This is frustrating.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:19 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I am having issues with TYP portal (I have the Prestige card) showing $200-300 more for AA First/Business class tickets.
This may not be a problem with the portal, but rather AA policy. I sometimes finds that the lowest restricted first class fare buckets are only available on aa.com, and not on agency sites.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:58 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by mia
This may not be a problem with the portal, but rather AA policy. I sometimes finds that the lowest restricted first class fare buckets are only available on aa.com, and not on agency sites.
I am able to replicate one fare through Spirit Incentives [the one that TYP wants $1,200] and it is actually $796 all in with the 15% discount.

The other two [Business class, so can't book through Spirit] I was able to get the same price on Orbitz.

So, in that case, the TYP portal should be able to give me the fare I want?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Have you guys figured out the ratio when you are using pts+cash?

I'm trying to book two international tix, but has to do two separate bookings with my wife's account (more pts) and mine (150k less pts). The ticket run at 1280 in cash and 1020k pts. basically I found out my account is gonna pay out slightly more (if you take 1pt as 1c, plus the cash you have to pay and compare it with the all cash price). I'm wondering if there's a sweet spot of using pts+cash, so that I can transfer some of our pts around to max the discount.

Also I see the $40ish difference compare to the Kayak price for United directly. What's my best strategy to get this difference back? I saw the #190 post, but I'm not in the mood to waste 50min on the phone (I probably have to call twice? since I'm using two different accounts to book)

Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:23 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Why not transfer sufficient points to the account which has the more attractive redemption rate? (The redemption rate is based on the mix of cards you hold.)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: SPG Plat. AA Plat. UA Gold
Originally Posted by Procter
Have you guys figured out the ratio when you are using pts+cash?

I'm trying to book two international tix, but has to do two separate bookings with my wife's account (more pts) and mine (150k less pts). The ticket run at 1280 in cash and 1020k pts. basically I found out my account is gonna pay out slightly more (if you take 1pt as 1c, plus the cash you have to pay and compare it with the all cash price). I'm wondering if there's a sweet spot of using pts+cash, so that I can transfer some of our pts around to max the discount.

Also I see the $40ish difference compare to the Kayak price for United directly. What's my best strategy to get this difference back? I saw the #190 post, but I'm not in the mood to waste 50min on the phone (I probably have to call twice? since I'm using two different accounts to book)

Thanks.
If you're interested, you should also have Citi merge you and your wife's TY accounts into one. It requires faxing in a paper form so most likely won't be done quickly but definitely makes it easier when you and your significant other both earn TY points. One side benefit of this is that while you cannot transfer points earned from banking (if you also earn TYP this way) to another person, they do get deposited into the joint account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.