Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Richard1148
I got instant approval for my first card June 2012 with $15k CL. A few weeks ago I had my CL lowered to $10k to make room for a second card. I did not want to cancel the first card because my account supposedly will get the 10k mile anniversary bonus, which I hoped would come before the AF was due.

Applied for second card today and got the pending review notification. Is that the kiss of death for getting a second card? Has anyone been approved lately for a second card after being reviewed?
A few people have had success getting a second card while the first one was open after getting the pending review message. Most have not.

You have one shot at reconsideration. Be prepared before you call. Why do you have all of the new accounts and inquiries over the past 12 months? Why do you need 2 US Air Cards? Are you applying for accounts just for the bonus (Barclays doesn't like this)? How can you need all of these currently open accounts for your own personal purposes? Those are the questions they asked me. They grill you. Have well thought out answers planned.

Good luck! When I already had 2 open US Air Cards, I got the pending review message on an NFL card app. I ended up getting the card after they moved around available credit.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PainCorp
So you expect anniversary miles when it's not your anniversary? You're going to pay the AF for your first anniversary...
Gotcha. Got caught up on the wording.

So, the bad news is you have to pay the $89 for an extra 10k.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Gotcha. Got caught up on the wording.

So, the bad news is you have to pay the $89 for an extra 10k.
Think of it as them making up the AF to you, with miles. That's how I did it.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Look, neither US Dividend Miles Program nor Barclays is exactly top of it's field. Both are difficult to communicate with and difficult to figure out. But somehow both slug through and usually, mostly, come up with the desired result eventually.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tassojunior
Look, neither US Dividend Miles Program nor Barclays is exactly top of it's field. Both are difficult to communicate with and difficult to figure out. But somehow both slug through and usually, mostly, come up with the desired result eventually.
Two questions:

A) Where did that come from?

and

B) Are you referring to something in particular?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Anyone know the answer to my question?

Originally Posted by italdesign
My partner applied and got denied for "recently opened account." What does that mean? That he recently opened an account somewhere and they don't like that?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Churnability data point:

Good news!

Got the first card in April 2012 (card still open).
Applied today and got approved.
I assume I will get the bonus.

As some suggested we need to keep trying to churn the card before Citi takes over the card services for the merged airline.

RM
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jeanie
A few people have had success getting a second card while the first one was open after getting the pending review message. Most have not.

You have one shot at reconsideration. Be prepared before you call.
If this were Chase, I would go ahead and call now. With Barclays should I wait to see what they decide or make a pre-emptive strike?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:26 am

Data points:
On 4/7, I tried 40k with annual fee link that has a landing page and everything. Got technical error. I then tried the 40k with no annual fee trick by clicking the 35k and then the 40k app. Got tech error again. Repeatedly checked the status site but it couldn't find any application by me. Waited a couple days just to make sure, still nothing.
So, today, 4/9, I tried the links from post 2206. Link 1 displayed an expired message. Link 2 brought me to an app and I got technical error again. Guess I'll wait until next week and try it all again....

Last edited by mikec171; Apr 9, 2013 at 11:33 am
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by mikec171
Data points:
On 4/7, I tried 40k with annual fee link that has a landing page and everything. Got technical error. I then tried the 40k with no annual fee trick by clicking the 35k and then the 40k app. Got tech error again. Repeatedly checked the status site but it couldn't find any application by me. Waited a couple days just to make sure, still nothing.
So, today, 4/9, I tried the links from post 2206. Link 1 displayed an expired message. Link 2 brought me to an app and I got technical error again. Guess I'll wait until next week and try it all again....
Real time update. Just checked app status site and it shows approved with a link to set up my account. So I guess link #2 in post 2206 worked! Thanks everyone.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Real time update. Just checked app status site and it shows approved with a link to set up my account. So I guess link #2 in post 2206 worked! Thanks everyone.
I thought I'd try one last time using link #2 based on your success, but unfortunately I didn't get the error that you did but rather the "additional time is needed" message, so I probably will not be approved this time, either. 3 strikes and I'm out.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Richard1148
If this were Chase, I would go ahead and call now. With Barclays should I wait to see what they decide or make a pre-emptive strike?
That should be left to your best judgment. I don't remember hearing a lot of feedback where people waited the 2 weeks for Barclays to process the application.

BTW, plan on it taking the maximum time they estimated for you. They have made several mistakes on my account, and each time have filled out a case form that would be resolved in 7 - 10 business days. Each time it took 10 days. Barclays is slower than Christmas.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:29 pm

Has anyone called reconsideration for the business card? What was it like?

And what is the #?

I have the personal and tried to get a business 2 weeks ago in an app-o-rama. I was denied. Is it a lost cause?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Data points:
Most of us recently have gotten the "technical error" message after filling out the application and hitting submit. However, the application soon showed up as approved.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:54 pm

Happened to just see your posts on the Citi AA thread - so you were able to get the USAir card after applying for the AA personal and business cards a few days before?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.