Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:27 pm

Think long and hard before signing up for a Barclays card. I've been trying to cancel my US Airways card for 2 months, but I can't get them to cancel it. They just recently charged me the $79 annual fee and really, seriously, double promised me that they closed it this time. I don't believe them.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:19 am

The T&C for this card state that it may take up to 4 weeks to make a balance transfer from an account on another card. Unless you have a 0% or very small % interest on that "other card" this would seem to risk incurring quite an interest penalty on the "other card" at the next due date while waiting for Barclay's to make the transfer to your new US card account. Anyone have experience with how long it actually takes for such a transfer so that one may/may not have some degree of confidence about getting hit with a big interest fee from the original card?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Updated OP to show 35K first purchase link which has been found. Doesn't seem targeted.

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 11, 2011 at 9:09 am
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:40 am

The T&C state the bonus miles are for new cardmembers only. With Barclays, does that mean "first-time cardholders?" I had that card in the past and I would sign up again for 35K bonus miles but otherwise I would stick with the AA or SPG cards.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:56 am

There's also a link to a business card offer, 25,000 miles and $79, not waived.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:19 pm

There's a box asking for an employee number - it seems to be targeted?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Onepass, M+, BoA 2%,AAdvantage, $ Coins Anonymous
Anyone know of any sign up promos for folks to use if 1st time joining US Airways Dividend miles program? (that would be me) to make this a little bit sweeter?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
There's a box asking for an employee number - it seems to be targeted?
It was actually sent to the elite status Chairman's Club members if you check the url. I think that's so an employee can get a bonus for getting you to apply. Certainly not targeted link as several have already gotten approved.

Also, unlike many applications, all the bonus terms are printed in the T&C.

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by napilimom
There's also a link to a business card offer, 25,000 miles and $79, not waived.

from the Business (not bix) card t&c
•Balance Transfer Charge: During the first six billing cycles: 3% of the amount of each transfer, $5 minimum, $75 maximum. After the first six billing cycles: 3% of the amount of each transfer, $5 minimum, no maximum.
•Cash Advance Charge: 3% of the amount advanced, $10 minimum, no maximum.

Looks like 3% up to $75 each month for BT on the business card. If anyone knows different please let me know. How sweet it would be if the max for the entire 6 billing cycles totalled $75.00 instead of $450.

Last edited by k02sc02; Feb 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm Reason: changed bix to business
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by k02sc02
from the bix card t&c
•Balance Transfer Charge: During the first six billing cycles: 3% of the amount of each transfer, $5 minimum, $75 maximum. After the first six billing cycles: 3% of the amount of each transfer, $5 minimum, no maximum.
•Cash Advance Charge: 3% of the amount advanced, $10 minimum, no maximum.

Looks like 3% up to $75 each month for BT on the business card. If anyone knows different please let me know. How sweet it would be if the max for the entire 6 billing cycles totalled $75.00 instead of $450.

No, It's a One-Time Fee

At least on the personal it's $100 maximum BT fee once and then 0% interest for 6 months. BT fees are always one-time. On 10K that's a lot less than the normal $300 (3%) or $400 (4%), although it's just for 6 months from application acceptance.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:20 pm

ok thanks,
then the business card BT fee caps out at $75.00. i will take another look at the t&c. could be a good thing.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by k02sc02
Anyone know of any sign up promos for folks to use if 1st time joining US Airways Dividend miles program? (that would be me) to make this a little bit sweeter?
I got a 1500 mile promo to sign up about 6 months ago but I don't see it any place now. You could phone Dividend Miles and ask.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by tassojunior
Fee waived, no spend, US Air Card 35K-55K + benies
Thank you tassojunior. This is the thread that finally got me to go from lurker to member.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by swat16
The T&C state the bonus miles are for new cardmembers only. With Barclays, does that mean "first-time cardholders?" I had that card in the past and I would sign up again for 35K bonus miles but otherwise I would stick with the AA or SPG cards.
One persons data point. I had Juniper/Barclays US Airways cards from Apr 2006 to Dec 2006 (email offer, no fee for 1 year, 15,000 first use bonus) and again from Nov 2009 to Aug 2010 (applied at airport, 1 mile for $2 spent, no fee, 5,000 first use bonus). Each time I made 1 or 2 charges then cancelled.

Today, after applying on line (using the link here, I was not targeted), I was instantly approved and the approval page even indicated my credit line (first time Ive seen that). I called immediately, mainly to lower the credit line and to choose a statement closing date. The voice prompts asked which account I was calling about; "press 1 for account ending in 1234, press 2 for account ending in 5678". First call I didnt know which account was which and I (randomly) chose the closed account which the system informed me of. I called back, chose the new account and finally got through to a rep who confirmed no fee for a year and all the introductory bonuses. I asked her about prior accounts and she told me about the 2 past accounts, including exact dates of opening/closing.

My plan is to keep it for a year, charge something 2 or 3 times to keep my US Air account active, then see if I can scam the 10,000 anniversary miles without paying the fee and then cancel.

So, based on my N of 1, the answer to your question is no. I hope this helps.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
One persons data point. I had Juniper/Barclays US Airways cards from Apr 2006 to Dec 2006 (email offer, no fee for 1 year, 15,000 first use bonus) and again from Nov 2009 to Aug 2010 (applied at airport, 1 mile for $2 spent, no fee, 5,000 first use bonus). Each time I made 1 or 2 charges then cancelled.

Today, after applying on line (using the link here, I was not targeted), I was instantly approved and the approval page even indicated my credit line (first time Ive seen that). I called immediately, mainly to lower the credit line and to choose a statement closing date. The voice prompts asked which account I was calling about; "press 1 for account ending in 1234, press 2 for account ending in 5678". First call I didnt know which account was which and I (randomly) chose the closed account which the system informed me of. I called back, chose the new account and finally got through to a rep who confirmed no fee for a year and all the introductory bonuses. I asked her about prior accounts and she told me about the 2 past accounts, including exact dates of opening/closing.

My plan is to keep it for a year, charge something 2 or 3 times to keep my US Air account active, then see if I can scam the 10,000 anniversary miles without paying the fee and then cancel.

So, based on my N of 1, the answer to your question is no. I hope this helps.
Can you share what credit bureaus did they pull on you for this app?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.