Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by tearex
Basic math.

Let's say I have 5 accounts.

(Summation of year accounts has been open)/number of accounts = average age of accounts

Scenario 1:

(10 + 5 + 1 +1 + 1)/5 = 3.6 years

Scenario 2:

(10 + 5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5)/5 = 3.3 years
That is not how AAoA is calculated. Closing accts hurts your AAoA
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by tearex
Basic math.

Let's say I have 5 accounts.

(Summation of year accounts has been open)/number of accounts = average age of accounts

Scenario 1:

(10 + 5 + 1 +1 + 1)/5 = 3.6 years

Scenario 2:

(10 + 5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5)/5 = 3.3 years
Yeah...that's not how it works.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago

Why do you think that? Please show your work.
Well, it seems simple math to me - if I have an account with 15 year history and one with 1 year history my average account age is 8 years ((15*1)/2). If I cancel the 1 year account my average is 15 years (15/1).

Last edited by drminn; Nov 7, 2012 at 8:32 am
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by spankytoes
Yeah...that's not how it works.
So - enlighten us, how does it work?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:23 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by drminn
Well, it seems simple math to me - if I have an account with 15 year history and one with 1 year history my average account age is 8 years ((15*1)/2). If I cancel the 1 year account my average is 15 years (15/1).
Average Age of Accounts includes ALL accounts, closed or open. So if you have a 15 year account and a 1 year account, when both are open, it is:

(15+1)/2 = 8

When you close the 1 year account, it is:

(15+1)/2 = 8

Closing accounts quickly only matters when a credit analyst or proprietary algorithm checks your report and makes the judgement that you are a churner. It doesn't directly figure into the FICO score.

Here are decent sources that discuss it. This is the thread to which the FICO people directly refer in their FAQ on AAoA: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Unde...date_ascending

A quote from their forum moderator in that thread:
Closed OC accounts, good and bad, factor into AAoA. Like with open accounts, you calculate it from the date the account was opened up through today to determine the age.
Another quote in their community, with a similar moderator comment: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Gene...s/td-p/1612614

AAoA is the average age of accounts. While some FAKO scores and services count AAoA for open accounts only, FICO counts ALL OC accounts into AAoA including open, closed, and even charged-off accounts. AAoA does not include any collection agencies or public records.
May I politely suggest, if we'd all like to discuss this further, that someone create a separate thread specific to his/her own situation - we're really polluting this thread on the USAirways card offer.

EDIT: I did stumble upon a reference to someone receiving a notice from FICO that they had too many total accounts reporting and that it was a negative. However, that seems to be a rare message and that person had a 760+ score anyway; this balances with the reports people receive that having many reporting accounts with positive history is given as a positive factor. So it's not clear when/if there is an equilibrium point between those factors.

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Nov 7, 2012 at 9:41 am
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: Too many to list
FICO counts ALL OC accounts into AAoA including open, closed, and even charged-off accounts
Jesus, what would that "score" be for guys like "Frequent Miler" ? I saw some pictures of credit cards he had in past few years on his blog. It looked like they could cover entire table. There's got to be explanation, otherwise people wouldn't be able to get new credit cards. I can see how you can keep 8-10 cards, but having 20 cc with 1 year history isn't going to help getting your 21-st.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
I can see how you can keep 8-10 cards, but having 20 cc with 1 year history isn't going to help getting your 21-st.
AAoA is one factor within a 15% chunk of the FICO score. See: http://www.myfico.com/crediteducatio...yourscore.aspx

It's still possible to have a score in the high-700's and bomb out on that segment of the score.

"New credit" is another 10% but that's generally measured over a scale of two years, so it's easy to recover.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
That is not how AAoA is calculated. Closing accts hurts your AAoA
That IS what I'm saying.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Folks,

I have deleted several off topic posts about the virtues and evils of credit cards. Let's get back on track, which is a discussion of the US Airways card that affords bonus miles.

Thanks,
Babu
Co-Moderator, MilesBuzz.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: US Air Silver, UA, WN CP, PC Plat, Hilton Gold, BW Diamond
Fee waived, no spend, US Air Card, 40K-55K + benies

I got my first card at the end of Jan 2012 and just got instant approval for my second card. Received the 40k (1st card) bonus and then no spend until I got the targeted 15k (3 months of $1250). Back in the drawer and then got the 5X target for dining/electronics/? up to $500. The first card had about two months of inactivity before the target offers. Just to be clear, my first card is still open and they pull (TU) the same as Chase.....and Chase has been very generous this year:-)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today I checked my US account and found the miles for my last statement added:

11/9/2012 11/09/12 US WORLD CARD: EVERYDAY PURCHASES 72

plus this curious entry:

11/9/2012 11/09/12 FIRST USE BONUS MILES 348

I first got this card in April of 2011 and paid the annual fee in April, 2012, receiving the 10,000 miles for renewal. I've used the card almost every month since then -- how is it I received a first use bonus, and why 348 miles?

Anyone have a clue?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:59 am

Apply right after closing due to fraud

My situation is this:
Got the card this May.
Got a fraud alert couple weeks ago. There was a 20k transaction from Turkey. In the phone call, they dismissed the charge and offer me a new card with new number. I decided to close it because I heard from somewhere that new # might not be safe enough.
Do you think I can apply a new card now or I need to wait a few months?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
My miles posted yesterday. Activated and used the card on 11/1/12. Paid off my bill on 11/7/12.

Very fast turnaround.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
. . . Anyone have a clue?
In the past when I had signed up for one of those spend X,XXX per month for 3 months and get 5X miles or something similar, the bonus for that showed up in my USAir account as "First Use Bonus Miles". Could that be it? Did you sign up for one of those offers but only put a small amount of spending against it?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:03 pm

In case anyone else is concerned about this issue...

Just got my (first) USAirways card. In the packet was a plain black-and-white booklet titled "REWARD RULES". Inside, it specifically mentions the 10k anniversary bonus.

Based on the occasional negative reports here on honoring that bonus, I'm keeping the booklet in case there are problems later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.