Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by chespeak2002
Can you share what credit bureaus did they pull on you for this app?
they pulled from all 3 here
I was instantly approved... also have 4 approved apps over the last 3 days - DL 50k, BA 50k, CO 50k, VX 65k
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Onepass, M+, BoA 2%,AAdvantage, $ Coins Anonymous
gawd, i cant keep up with it all,
what is the VX 65 and who issues it? I am prepping for an aor and something like that is one i dont want to miss!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
No, sorry. I'm not familiar with how to obtain that information. I rarely check my credit report. It's among the next things I hope to learn about here.

BTW, considering the approval took about 35 seconds, how carefully are they reviewing a credit report?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by libuser
I was instantly approved... also have 4 approved apps over the last 3 days - DL 50k, BA 50k, CO 50k, VX 65k
Wow, lots of approvals! Congra! Did you get BA 100K before or BA 50K is first-time app?

Hmm, if Barclays is still pulling all 3 CRA for this personal card (I applied for Biz USAirways last year and they pulled all 3), I need to decide if it's worth it since I already got lots of EX INQs due to lots of recent AMEX promotions. If they pull EQ+TU, I'll jump on it right away.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG gold, PC Plat, CC gold
How is it 55K?
35K initial + 10K for BT
Where is the other 10K? Is it on annivarsary?
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ayya
How is it 55K?
35K initial + 10K for BT
Where is the other 10K? Is it on annivarsary?
Yup, after paying the annual fee.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
One persons data point. I had Juniper/Barclays US Airways cards from Apr 2006 to Dec 2006 (email offer, no fee for 1 year, 15,000 first use bonus) and again from Nov 2009 to Aug 2010 (applied at airport, 1 mile for $2 spent, no fee, 5,000 first use bonus). Each time I made 1 or 2 charges then cancelled.

Today, after applying on line (using the link here, I was not targeted), I was instantly approved and the approval page even indicated my credit line (first time Ive seen that). I called immediately, mainly to lower the credit line and to choose a statement closing date. The voice prompts asked which account I was calling about; "press 1 for account ending in 1234, press 2 for account ending in 5678". First call I didnt know which account was which and I (randomly) chose the closed account which the system informed me of. I called back, chose the new account and finally got through to a rep who confirmed no fee for a year and all the introductory bonuses. I asked her about prior accounts and she told me about the 2 past accounts, including exact dates of opening/closing.

My plan is to keep it for a year, charge something 2 or 3 times to keep my US Air account active, then see if I can scam the 10,000 anniversary miles without paying the fee and then cancel.

So, based on my N of 1, the answer to your question is no. I hope this helps.
Were all these different types of cards since the bonus offers were different? For example, these weren't all the "Premier World Mastercard" and that is why you received all the bonuses? Thanks for posting this I'm just trying to figure out possible churning.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
I applied for and was immediately approved for around $10K (normal for me). I checked my credit report. Barclays (Usairways card) pulled my credit report from Transunion. For me, hardly any credit issuers pull Transunion. I have many recent credit pulls on Equifax and Experian. My Transunion credit pulls are low and my credit score is high. Almost guarantees application approval.

Last edited by whynotgo; Feb 12, 2011 at 9:03 am
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by whynotgo
I applied for and was immediately approved for around $10K (normal for me). I checked my credit report. Barclays (Usairways card) pulled my credit report from Transunion. For me, hardly any credit issuers pull Transunion. I have many recent credit pulls on Equifax and Experian. My Transunion credit pulls are low and my credit score is high. Almost guarantees application approval.
Thanks, if I was sure they would pull only Transunion I would apply today! Anyone from California apply lately? Care to share?
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:52 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by tassojunior
35K FIRST PURCHASE LINK

Yes it's just US Air and yes it's Barclays. But for those of us frozen out by Citi AA and maxed at Chase and AmEx, Barclays is another company to get a relationship with. Also for some of us (like DCA) US is the primary carrier.

US Air now has an waived-fee Dividend Miles card. That's extremely unusual for Barclays. The initial bonus after 1st use is 35K miles. Each anniversary 10K more miles is given ($89 annual fee).

There is also an very attractive balance transfer offer: Up to 10,000 miles for a $10K balance transfer with 0% interest for 6 months and a maximum BT fee of $100.

Holders of this credit card get 5K discounts on reward redemptions.

I believe the card also helps restore expired miles.

US is a *Alliance member.

In addition:

*Earn 10,000 miles towards Dividend Miles Preferred status
*Up to two $99 companion tickets annually
*Preferred check-In
*Preferred Zone 2 boarding
*One complimentary US Airways Club day pass annually
*Discount on annual US Airways Club membership

Barclays is good to get a relationship with as they have many travel cards. I've been surprised at how pleasant they are on the telephone and how good their online account is.

There is also a no-fee US Air card which one can downgrade to after the first year to avoid the annual fee if the benefits of the regular card aren't useful.

I have no idea whether churning or coins are possible.
Does anyone have info on the bolded part? I personally don't believe in paying annual fees for credit cards no matter how attractive offers are. Also, I have read somewhere on the US forum that people have been "threatened" with losing the bonus miles if the card is canceled. Lastly, if one were to downgrade to the no fee card, is it safe to assume that the account number would remain the same with different earning ratio? If so, would that still qualify for the anniversary bonus? TIA.

LAX
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
Were all these different types of cards since the bonus offers were different? For example, these weren't all the "Premier World Mastercard" and that is why you received all the bonuses? Thanks for posting this I'm just trying to figure out possible churning.
I dont recall the exact type of cards although Im certain the first (2006) was a Premier World Mastercard. The second (2010) probably was not as it was a no fee card with 1 mile per $2 spent. The paper that the card was stuck to and the letter confirming account closure (the 2 pieces of paper I save for all old credit card accounts) both, for both accounts, state US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
It's very unusual for anyone to pull TransUnion on DC residents. Citi, AmEx & Chase almost always use Experian here.

Someone in DC mentioned Barclays pulled all 3 reports on him- could this have happened to you?

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
It's very unusual for anyone to pull TransUnion on DC residents. Citi, AmEx & Chase almost always use Experian here.

Someone mentioned Barclays pulled all 3 reports on him- could this have happened to you?
Barclays only pulled Transunion (not EQ or EXP). Yes, this is unusual (but good for me).
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:26 pm

I checked my credit report. Barclays (Usairways card) pulled my credit report from Transunion. For me, hardly any credit issuers pull Transunion. I have many recent credit pulls on Equifax and Experian. My Transunion credit pulls are low and my credit score is high. Almost guarantees application approval...
For California, they usually pull TransUnion and maybe a second CR (like Equifax), sometimes 3rd. I'm deciding whether or not to apply depending on how they pull credit.
Originally Posted by libuser
I was instantly approved...
(I apologize for the thread creep.) I know little about credit reports and credit reporting agencies procedures. Im lucky that Ive never been irreversibly denied credit other than for first time cardholders. Anytime Ive been denied for too many accounts or too much available credit or too many recent inquiries Ive been approved after an explanatory phone call.

Im curious how you all obtain this kind of information so quickly. Does it require a paid membership with each of the 3 credit reporting agencies?
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:35 pm

First, thanks OP. Just applied and received instant approval. Then allows you to immidiately create user name and online access.

On the "your accounts" page there is a button to sign up for a 1,000 mile new member bonus in the U.S Airways dining program. Click it - and unfortunately you find the bonus ended 12/31/10. Barclay's really ought to update their website =)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.