Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:36 am

BarclayUS: people with a foreign-sounding last name need not app

I alerted a friend about this offer, and she decided to apply. This is what she found out: if your last name is Asian or non-Anglo sounding, you'll be asked to provide proof of citizenship! If you're a permanent resident with an Anglo- or Irish-sounding last name, most likely you won't be questioned, but officially only US citizens are allowed to have credit cards with this bank. Not sure if any other of their financial products is available to permanent residents... At first I thought my friend might have misunderstood the CS rep she spoke with, but an online search shows a series of complaints, including some about these rejection criteria.

Unusual practice indeed, and it makes me wonder if it runs afoul of some anti-discrimination law (national origin?). Anyhoo, this Barclays outfit sounds very odd indeed: after reading some of the complaints here, and having my friend send me a link to some more horror stories from non FTers, we've decided to use the card for the bonus miles and for 1 entry into Grand Slam, if it's offered again this year, and for the rest of time, let it sit in a drawer. Pity because I wouldn't have minded having a primary card for building up our US balances to have access to some nice *A awards... I guess the Starwood Amex will do the trick here, and the earning ratio is overall better too...

Last edited by honu; Feb 19, 2011 at 12:41 am
Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by honu
Wait, Mr honu was approved for the World MC today, and I took it to mean the World Premier MC, since it didn't say Platinum. Are you saying that there is a third MC, not Platinum, not World Premier, but just World? And what's the bonus for that?
Same here. So I sent an Email. Here is the response:

As a benefit for your US Airways MasterCard you will earn the following:

* 2 miles for every $1 spent on US Airways
* 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases
* 35,000 bonus miles for first use of the card
* 1 mile for every $1 for balance transfers completed during the first 60 days that your account is open (maximum of 10,000 bonus miles)
* 10,000 Bonus Miles on the first anniversary from account open date
* Welcome Kit which contains the Companion Certificates and Club Day Pass
* Preferred Miles towards Preferred Status
* 5,000 Mile Award Discount
* Enrollment to the Dividend Miles Dining program
* Preferred Check-In and Zone 2 Boarding

Looks like they are pretty much the same thing.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:15 am

Does anyone has experience using non-applicant's FF#?

For example, what would happen if my spouse applies for this card but will indicate my Dividends Mile number in the application?

Different banks (or maybe even the same banks for different card types) seem to react differently on this kind of situations so I'm wondering if anyone had experience how Barclays acts with this regard with US Airways card?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN, Marriott, Hilton
I alerted a friend about this offer, and she decided to apply. This is what she found out: if your last name is Asian or non-Anglo sounding, you'll be asked to provide proof of citizenship! If you're a permanent resident with an Anglo- or Irish-sounding last name, most likely you won't be questioned, but officially only US citizens are allowed to have credit cards with this bank. Not sure if any other of their financial products is available to permanent residents... At first I thought my friend might have misunderstood the CS rep she spoke with, but an online search shows a series of complaints, including some about these rejection criteria.

Unusual practice indeed, and it makes me wonder if it runs afoul of some anti-discrimination law (national origin?). Anyhoo, this Barclays outfit sounds very odd indeed: after reading some of the complaints here, and having my friend send me a link to some more horror stories from non FTers, we've decided to use the card for the bonus miles and for 1 entry into Grand Slam, if it's offered again this year, and for the rest of time, let it sit in a drawer. Pity because I wouldn't have minded having a primary card for building up our US balances to have access to some nice *A awards... I guess the Starwood Amex will do the trick here, and the earning ratio is overall better too...
Did your friend include a social security number on the application?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:55 pm

What a crock of sh@#!
Classic bait and switch!

I also applied and was approved for the 10K mile card....I called twice and spoke to several hard to understand "supervisors" who could not help me....I could not stand the pain and cancelled the card BEFORE I got it....

Two thumbs down for Barclays!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by PhoenixFF
What a crock of sh@#!
Classic bait and switch!

I also applied and was approved for the 10K mile card....I called twice and spoke to several hard to understand "supervisors" who could not help me....I could not stand the pain and cancelled the card BEFORE I got it....

Two thumbs down for Barclays!
I wonder if you cancel immediately after being approved, if the account still gets added to your credit report.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 4:01 pm

I alerted a friend about this offer, and she decided to apply. This is what she found out: if your last name is Asian or non-Anglo sounding, you'll be asked to provide proof of citizenship! If you're a permanent resident with an Anglo- or Irish-sounding last name, most likely you won't be questioned, but officially only US citizens are allowed to have credit cards with this bank.
Same thing happened to me. I have a 30 year credit history , countless other credit cards, and Barclays wanted me to send them a copy of my birth certificate. And my name is as Anglo-sounding as they come.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by GamecockFan
Did your friend include a social security number on the application?
Yes, of course she must have, she's been a US permanent resident for several years now. She was successful with the citi AAmex and Visa apps (the promo with 75K bonus AA miles each). She also has an older SPG Amex and wants to apply for the CO Chase card (not sure if she's done that yet). When she got the rejection letter, she called the CS number and the agent told her that she needed to send proof of citizenship. She told me that she didn't know of any other bank with a citizenship requirement, and, come to think of it, neither can I. I'm sorry I mentioned this offer to her, 'cause now she's wasted a hard pull, so I might as well put the info out here for permanent resident FTers to be aware of.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
I had a similar experience with barclays. In fact I applied for 1 personal and 1 business card at the same time and I had to send it twice. What I don't understand is what is the big fuss about sending it? They have different rules and procedures so if ones wants to have their card and/or bonus miles, one has to play by their rules. Small hassle but no big deal IMHO.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:28 am

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
For this card can you all report which credit agency(s) pulled your report? I'm curious if they are looking at multiple agencies.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Based on all the reports here I think I am going to sit this one out. If it went up to 50k bonus (wishful thinking but ya never know) maybe it will be worth the pain to go through it
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Based on all the reports here I think I am going to sit this one out. If it went up to 50k bonus (wishful thinking but ya never know) maybe it will be worth the pain to go through it
Based on all of the reports here, everyone should be sitting this one out. This one is really a crap shoot, because it sounds like very few of us actually got any benefit from this application.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by stealph
For this card can you all report which credit agency(s) pulled your report? I'm curious if they are looking at multiple agencies.
I live in WI and they pulled Transunion only which is unusual because usually when I apply for a credit card they almost always pull Experian or Equifax.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by samdori
I wonder if you cancel immediately after being approved, if the account still gets added to your credit report.
I'm pretty sure it does. Having gotten the Platinum card like most posters, I'd prefer just to cancel my account before activating the card; however, I'll likely just make the initial first purchase, earn my 10K miles and then cancel.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by stealph

They pulled TransUnion for me in DC !!!

Extremely unheard of. Always Experian or Equifax in DC.

+1 Barclays !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.