Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by nitro888
Don't know how you guys are getting the second card but I was turned down today. Infact they said specifically that they have a policy with US Airways that they will only issue 1 card/bonus per customer.
Canceled my first card and reapplied 7 months later getting 40,000 bonus a second time.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by lkar
Well, as you spend you get the regular 1 point (or 2 points for USAirways spending) per $. But you don't get an extra 25k bonus points.

Basically, after you hit the 25k spend, your preferred qualifying miles just goes up 10k. (I guess technically, it probably is a conversion -- that is to say, if you didn't have 10k RDM in your account at the time you hit the 25k spend, I'm not sure what would happen.)
Thanks for the info, this is the same sneaky way that the EQM in the GS11 was worded. Many of us thought that it was say 4-hits was 10k bonus miles and 3k EQM but it was 7k bonus and 3k EQM for a total of 10k miles.

I'd rather put the spend on my United Explorer card and get 35k miles after spending $25k.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by bbbb
Canceled my first card and reapplied 7 months later getting 40,000 bonus a second time.
what was your miles balance after you canceled?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bbbb

When had you applied for the first card?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by infamousdx
I just received this email.

And here is the fine print / exact terms:
"do not include such things as the purchase of money orders, traveler's checks, foreign currency, lottery tickets, gambling chips, wire transfers, person-to-person mone y transfers or using the account to obtain a cash advance"

So much for using it at Amzn payments hehe
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by sweetz_21_83
When had you applied for the first card?
One year before I canceled because the fee was coming up.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by RobertNC
what was your miles balance after you canceled?
I don't remember but I did not give them my account number when I reapplied. I called later and switched FF#s after approval.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:22 pm

I can't believe how awful Barclay's customer service is. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

I applied for the 40,000 miles card back in September. After my first statement I noticed that I only received 30,000 miles and contacted customer service. The representative I spoke to was not aware of any 40,000
mile card promotion and I was told to fax in a copy of the link I applied under. I was told that I would hear back in a couple of weeks and the miles would be added to my account. After waiting several weeks and not hearing anything, I called back and was told they never received anything. Verified the number,faxed the info again, and waited; again no response from Barclays. I called back a 3rd time and was told the same thing nothing received. This time I stayed on the line with the representative to make sure the fax was received, again told I would hear back from them in several weeks.

After not hearing again I called customer service and was told that I did not do a balance transfer and was not eligible for the 40,000 miles. I was told that the promotion was 30,000 miles for applying and 10,000 miles for balance transfer. When I instructed them that this was not the offer I applied under I was then told that I was only approved for a lower value mastercard. This is not the case, as I have the premier world mastercard. My credit score is excellent, I pay my bills in full every month, and there would be no reason I would not qualify for the 40,000 mile card. I asked for a supervisor in the account review dept and was told that someone would call me within 48 hours. Called back again and was told the same thing, no supervisor available, someone will call in 48 hours.

After not hearing from someone again, I filed a BBB complaint. I received a response through the BBB from the executive office saying that with the $89 annual fee mastercard cardmembers receive a 30,000 mile bonus, and I received the miles for the card I applied through. I filed a rebuttal with the BBB and provided the link to them I applied through, with the 40,000 mile offer. The BBB closed my case saying although I am not satisfied Barclays has responded to my inquiry and as far as they were concerned the problem is resolved.
I called the executive office today and now I am told that I did not apply through the link with the offer I provided. I definitely know that I applied through the 40,000 link. I asked them what link I applied through and was told that they did not know, but it was not the link I provided. At this point it is my word against theirs. I realize we are only talking 10,000 miles, but at this point it is more the principal than anything. I am so aggravated that no one returns my calls and they keep changing their response. I know what link I applied through.
So I am wondering if there is anything else I can do. Would filing a complaint with the federal reserve help? Would contacting US Air get me anywhere? Anyone else go through anything else like this with Barclays?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Smile

Originally Posted by frankcoton
So I am wondering if there is anything else I can do. Would filing a complaint with the federal reserve help? Would contacting US Air get me anywhere? Anyone else go through anything else like this with Barclays?
Why bother? Just churn their card. Cancel the card and apply again - 40K miles with first purchase and no annual fee first year. Rinse and repeat ..

Easier to work through the system than trying to change it .
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Got instant approval about 3 weeks ago for the platinum mastercard...probably my income isn't high enough for the world. Got only a $1300 cl but I don't care since I won't use it anyway. Got the card and put a $1 charge on it and paid it immediately. 40,000 miles posted to my account a few days ago. Now I'll just toss the card on my shelf with the others I don't use and will cancel once the annual is due.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Frank,

From your detailed post I can sense how frustrated you must be. I also have had terrible customer service from bars-of-clay however in all of my problems with them, it was never that I received less miles than the offer was for.

I would do a couple of things (this is just my opinion):
1. Instead of calling, send a secure message to them. This way you have documentation in black and white.
2. I don't recommend this next move until you are at the end of your rope -- but you may want to try:

http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/

I warn you - these people that will help you are going to want to see PROOF of the offer for 40K, or they will not help you. This is the best advice I can give you. May the wind be on your back.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Got instant approval about 3 weeks ago for the platinum mastercard...probably my income isn't high enough for the world. Got only a $1300 cl but I don't care since I won't use it anyway. Got the card and put a $1 charge on it and paid it immediately. 40,000 miles posted to my account a few days ago. Now I'll just toss the card on my shelf with the others I don't use and will cancel once the annual is due.
it actually isn't a terrible card to pay the fee on... you get 10k miles a year (which is worth more then the fee), a GS hit, and a 5k mile discount on usairways awards; really not bad at all
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I applied for a second card. No instant approval. I'll just wait and see what happens.
I was denied because I have sufficient credit available on my Barclays account. It was worth a shot, although it was one more credit pull. Trans Union, so it might not affect my credit score.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:48 pm
xp0

Just wondering how often you can churn this? What is the typical rule of thumb? Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by xp0
Just wondering how often you can churn this? What is the typical rule of thumb? Thanks!
With BofA it's 90 days. I'd certainly not try and push less than that with Barclays. Most of the churners here have done it at least 6 months apart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.