Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by via amtrak
I got the both the club day pass and companion certificate soon after my first use (i.e. a year before the having to pay the annual fee).
Do you have to fly US to use the club day pass?

Does the pass have an expiration date?

Thanks for responding.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:33 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by michael_v
Do you have to fly US to use the club day pass?

Does the pass have an expiration date?

Thanks for responding.

They expire one year from issuance.

There is no direct requirement that there be a US Air flight, but most of the clubs are in the terminals where the US Air flights depart, so it is just luck to be able to use them if you happen to be flying another carrier that uses that same terminal.

I haven't been able to use mine yet, but I might be able to in February. There are frustratingly few US Air clubs.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:33 pm

Churning Barclays

A data point regarding churning Barclays: My wife (Trans Union credit score of 749; it's higher with the other two agencies) was approved for the US Airways card on 5/3/11, then applied for Barclays' Lufthansa card on 7/4 and was approved for that, too. After canceling the US Airways card on 11/4 or 11/5, she applied for the US Airways card on 11/6 but her application was denied. We called the reconsideration line and explained to the representative she wasn't seeking more credit; she just wanted the US Airways card and would like to move some of her credit from the Lufthansa card over, without increasing her credit line with Barclays.

The representative spent time looking into it, then said he couldn't do so at this time. But after six months from the date of the Lufthansa application, he said, we could call to ask for reconsideration of the 11/6 application and to move some of the credit line over at that time. I'll report back then what happens.

Any other data points out there?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
A data point regarding churning Barclays: My wife (Trans Union credit score of 749; it's higher with the other two agencies) was approved for the US Airways card on 5/3/11, then applied for Barclays' Lufthansa card on 7/4 and was approved for that, too. After canceling the US Airways card on 11/4 or 11/5, she applied for the US Airways card on 11/6 but her application was denied. We called the reconsideration line and explained to the representative she wasn't seeking more credit; she just wanted the US Airways card and would like to move some of her credit from the Lufthansa card over, without increasing her credit line with Barclays.

The representative spent time looking into it, then said he couldn't do so at this time. But after six months from the date of the Lufthansa application, he said, we could call to ask for reconsideration of the 11/6 application and to move some of the credit line over at that time. I'll report back then what happens.

Any other data points out there?
Talk with a supervisor.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:35 am

I have never had a Barclays card and I applied today in my mini-app-o-rama, after being approved by Citi on the phone with app ID and Chase instantly. Barclay said it needed further review. When I checked my status it said:

We regret that we're unable to approve you for a credit card account due to the following reason(s):

In order for us to proceed with your application we need you to provide additional information. A letter requesting additional information has been sent to you via the mail. If we do not receive the information from you within 30 days of the date of that letter, your application will be considered withdrawn.

What can it be that they want?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:42 am
Suspended

With bar-of-clay, it could be anything. But my guess is that it will be asking for confirmation of address. You may have to send them your cable bill. That was my experience with a bar-of-clay application from a couple of years ago. Once I sent it in, I was approved.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: A few
what is the shortest period of time between apps has anyone been succesful in getting this card?

i am thinking of applying for another this time to use the 10k balance transfer (so for $300 fee you'd get 10k additional points but $10k for 12 months without further interest - i can use that $10k to finance other activity that would more than make up for the $300) I got an account opened in August
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:42 pm

applied for the card 6 weeks ago and got my 40,000 miles.

Other than the first purchase, haven't used it since. Got an email two days ago for a bonus of 15,000 miles for spending $1250/month for Jan, Feb, and Mar of 2012.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by DrSifu
Other than the first purchase, haven't used it since. Got an email two days ago for a bonus of 15,000 miles for spending $1250/month for Jan, Feb, and Mar of 2012.
Are you going to go for it?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:53 pm

Other than the first purchase, haven't used it since.
Be wary of the card terms that allow Barclays to close the account & claw back the bonus if you don't use it within a given period. Mine, obtained in March, has a 12-month clock, although IIRC others have posted above that this has been reduced to 6 months for more recent applicants.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton

Got the same offer. It comes out to 5 miles/dollar which doesn't seem like that great of a deal since you can buy miles directly from US Airways for a lot less right now.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by nep301
Got the same offer. It comes out to 5 miles/dollar which doesn't seem like that great of a deal since you can buy miles directly from US Airways for a lot less right now.

If you're not getting something like $3750 of goods/services for that spending in addition to the bonus miles, then you're doing it wrong.

5 miles per dollar of spend is a monstrously good deal. Passing that up would be very foolish IMO.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by beltway

If you're not getting something like $3750 of goods/services for that spending in addition to the bonus miles, then you're doing it wrong.

5 miles per dollar of spend is a monstrously good deal. Passing that up would be very foolish IMO.
The only issue is to be able to spend $3750 in 3 months, in addition to working on other credit cards' minimum spending offers.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
The only issue is to be able to spend $3750 in 3 months, in addition to working on other credit cards' minimum spending offers.
Definitely a legitimate concern, although entirely distinct from what the previous poster seemed to be objecting to. In any event, careful planning with the timing of signups should be enough to avoid having too many spend targets & not enough time. The downside risk to waiting/spacing out apps is that the offers may be pulled, although I've had pretty good luck over the past year.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by beltway
Definitely a legitimate concern, although entirely distinct from what the previous poster seemed to be objecting to. In any event, careful planning with the timing of signups should be enough to avoid having too many spend targets & not enough time. The downside risk to waiting/spacing out apps is that the offers may be pulled, although I've had pretty good luck over the past year.
Slightly harder to space out spends when the offer is targeted to you out of the blue like this mile bonus offer was, though I do completely understand your point. I know I have to be very careful with lining my spends up, I can only muster about $1200 a month consistently. Even if Barclays were to shoot me a similar offer on my US Airways card, I'd probably have to decline it, as the bonus from a new offer would be more lucrative to me, rather than using up 3 months of my spend potential for "only" 15,000 miles. It is a very good offer if you can take advantage of it though, particularly since it doesn't involve the hard pull on the credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.