FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   [EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1182580-expired-fee-waived-us-airways-card-30k-10k-anniversary.html)

Happy Aug 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by AlexTheMan (Post 23398467)
Happy, does that mean you will get the 15k miles twice for the same card, one month apart? I am asking as I have the same scenario. Got offer for Aug, Sept, Oct. and then again for Sept, Oct, Nov.!! My wife opened her account on the same date but got the second offer only.

Dont know. Hope it would play out this way but at least I would get the 15K for the Jun, Jul and Aug spend. I would do the spend in Sept also and see what happens.

You do know that the bonus posts 2 months after the period finishes, right?

i.e. for the period ends in Aug, the 15K would show up in Oct. That is how Barclays promotions work.

AlexTheMan Aug 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 23402780)
Dont know. Hope it would play out this way but at least I would get the 15K for the Jun, Jul and Aug spend. I would do the spend in Sept also and see what happens.

You do know that the bonus posts 2 months after the period finishes, right?

i.e. for the period ends in Aug, the 15K would show up in Oct. That is how Barclays promotions work.

Yep. This is my 3rd US Airways card and wife's second card. I had the same promo on previous accounts and worked great, however, I never received 2 offers on same account. Old accounts are closed now. It would be great if double dip works!!

tigermark82 Sep 1, 2014 9:29 am

I have the older version of this card from September 2013 with an annual 10k bonus on anniversary. Are the anniversary bonuses still posting for this card?

Superorb Sep 1, 2014 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by tigermark82 (Post 23456296)
I have the older version of this card from September 2013 with an annual 10k bonus on anniversary. Are the anniversary bonuses still posting for this card?

Yes, two for my wife and one for myself over the past 2 months.

armature Sep 2, 2014 7:35 pm

10K bonus posted for me mid-August.

roneyc Sep 3, 2014 7:29 am

10K and the bonus points for Apr-Jun spend both posted on Aug stmt. Annual fee just showed up, so I will be closing the card, unless retention gives me a good offer.

SquarePeg Sep 3, 2014 8:54 am

Originally Posted by roneyc (Post 23466817)
10K and the bonus points for Apr-Jun spend both posted on Aug stmt. Annual fee just showed up, so I will be closing the card, unless retention gives me a good offer.

There's no retention offer that will be as good as cancelling and then getting a new sign up bonus in a few months!

x712xdamx Sep 3, 2014 2:16 pm

I got the 10k anniversary points as usual a few weeks before annual fee posted. Called and got it waived, no problem.

Also getting the 15k bonus miles for spending $500/mo for 3 months Aug-Oct. Pretty rad deal! 25k miles basically for spending $1,500 and no annual fee!

YoungBubbie Sep 3, 2014 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by x712xdamx (Post 23469084)
I got the 10k anniversary points as usual a few weeks before annual fee posted. Called and got it waived, no problem.

Also getting the 15k bonus miles for spending $500/mo for 3 months Aug-Oct. Pretty rad deal! 25k miles basically for spending $1,500 and no annual fee!

Had you used the card lately? I haven't used mine hoping to get the bonus. Not sure what the strategy is to receive that bonus that happens when annual fee is due.
I got that 3 month spend one after I had the card for a few months and only making one initial spend. Haven't used it since I had a
2x miles offer through June. My annual fee is due in November.

Any ideas?

sdsearch Sep 3, 2014 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by SquarePeg (Post 23467292)
There's no retention offer that will be as good as cancelling and then getting a new sign up bonus in a few months!

If you can get a new sign up bonus in a few months, that is.

While some people are successful, many others have failed recently trying that.

It's defiintely harder to get Barclays to give you another US card now that, say, a year ago.

Basically, if you happen to get "instant approval" (ie, the computer decides), you can do. If you have to have a human look at the application, pretty much all hope is lost.

Now, whether than increase if you wait longer than "a few months", I dunno. But there you run into the other problem: Just how many more months will Barclays be accepting new applications for this card? It's expected to end by sometime in 2015, but right now we don't know if it's just a few months away or close to a year away.

YoungBubbie Sep 3, 2014 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 23470587)

It's defiintely harder to get Barclays to give you another US card now that, say, a year ago.

Basically, if you happen to get "instant approval" (ie, the computer decides), you can do. If you have to have a human look at the application, pretty much all hope is lost.

Now, whether than increase if you wait longer than "a few months", I dunno. But there you run into the other problem: Just how many more months will Barclays be accepting new applications for this card? It's expected to end by sometime in 2015, but right now we don't know if it's just a few months away or close to a year away.

I'm just hoping they don't do away with the 10,000 anniversary miles.

beltway Sep 3, 2014 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie (Post 23470778)
I'm just hoping they don't do away with the 10,000 anniversary miles.

Well, I got a mailer today announcing coming changes to this card. The overt changes were good, including a 10% rebate on miles redemptions. However, since that pretty strongly implies that Barclays is being forced to align benefits with the Citi AA products, I suspect the 10K anniversary bonus is not long for this world. (The mailer didn't address this explicitly, but in the wise words of Tom Waits, "the large print giveth and the small print taketh away.")

YoungBubbie Sep 3, 2014 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 23470850)
Well, I got a mailer today announcing coming changes to this card. The overt changes were good, including a 10% rebate on miles redemptions. However, since that pretty strongly implies that Barclays is being forced to align benefits with the Citi AA products, I suspect the 10K anniversary bonus is not long for this world. (The mailer didn't address this explicitly, but in the wise words of Tom Waits, "the large print giveth and the small print taketh away.")

Are they doing away with the 5,000 mile rebate? Isn't that better than 10%?

beltway Sep 3, 2014 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie (Post 23470934)
Are they doing away with the 5,000 mile rebate? Isn't that better than 10%?

That seems to be staying. (Technically, it's an up-front discount, not a rebate.)

SquarePeg Sep 4, 2014 6:16 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 23470587)

Yes, you make a good point. The clock is ticking on this card. The cancel, wait and reapply method might be over very soon.

As a data point for those who are thinking of canceling and reapplying - For the 40K version of this card (AF not waived), I canceled my first card 3/2014 just after the bonus miles posted. Applied and approved for card #2 8/2014 so it was 5 months. I also got the Arrival 2/2014. Barclays pulls TU for me and everyone else pulls EXP which really helps and my score is 800+ on Barclays website.