Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Sign in using an external account

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 31, 14, 7:04 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: [EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.
 
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived


Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus


Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)


1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?


Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!

Print Wikipost

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 18, 13, 8:55 pm   #3616
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 281
Applied for first Barclays card for me, my mom , my dad on 01/07/2013.

Approved for $7500 , $5000, and $2000.
Applied again for all 3 of us on 06/18/2013.
Approved for $5000, $6000, $5000.
superking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 13, 12:02 am   #3617
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by superking View Post
Applied for first Barclays card for me, my mom , my dad on 01/07/2013.

Approved for $7500 , $5000, and $2000.
Applied again for all 3 of us on 06/18/2013.
Approved for $5000, $6000, $5000.
Amazing!
liw5215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 13, 12:12 pm   #3618
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
Posts: 180
Just got this email offer:

Quote:
Earn 15,000 bonus miles when you spend over $750 in new purchases each month in July, August and September.1
If I'm reading this correctly, it means I have to spend $750 every month (so $2250) total. This doesn't seem to be as good as the 1,000 offer
whatmakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 13, 12:38 pm   #3619
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: Northwest, United
Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by superking View Post
Applied for first Barclays card for me, my mom , my dad on 01/07/2013.

Approved for $7500 , $5000, and $2000.
Applied again for all 3 of us on 06/18/2013.
Approved for $5000, $6000, $5000.
Interesting info, but need more context to see if this is really "amazing" or just ordinary...

Which cards specifically? Did you (all) get a USAir card then (each) get a second USAir card 6 months later, or did you get one kind of Barclays card (eg USAir card) then get a *different* Barclays card (eg Frontier, Lufthansa, etc.) later?

How many credit cards of any kind have you/they applied for over the past 12 months? This seems to be the key criteria barclays is looking at these days - lots of people getting denied because they have "too many new applications" opened in the past year (or in some cases 2 years)...the exact definition of "too many" is slippery but I'm seeing more than a few people mentioning that when they pressed barclays recon line for the reason they were denied, they said 10-12 new cards over the past year mentioned as the reason for denial (this strikes fear into the hearts of bloggers...).

Thanks for any details you can share.
nwflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 13, 12:45 pm   #3620
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmakes View Post
Just got this email offer:



If I'm reading this correctly, it means I have to spend $750 every month (so $2250) total. This doesn't seem to be as good as the 1,000 offer
I just got that too, and had gotten the same offer on my 1st card in Jan/Feb/Mar.
dcpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 13, 12:54 pm   #3621
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: BOS, SFO
Programs: Delta DM, A3 *S, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum, former AA GLD/AAirpass
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmakes View Post
Just got this email offer:

Quote:
Earn 15,000 bonus miles when you spend over $750 in new purchases each month in July, August and September.1
If I'm reading this correctly, it means I have to spend $750 every month (so $2250) total. This doesn't seem to be as good as the 1,000 offer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpilgrim View Post
I just got that too, and had gotten the same offer on my 1st card in Jan/Feb/Mar.
How much spending have you been doing on your cards in the last few months? Do you think you were you targeted for the offer because of low account activity?
lamont2718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 13, 1:05 pm   #3622
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
Interesting info, but need more context to see if this is really "amazing" or just ordinary...

Which cards specifically? Did you (all) get a USAir card then (each) get a second USAir card 6 months later, or did you get one kind of Barclays card (eg USAir card) then get a *different* Barclays card (eg Frontier, Lufthansa, etc.) later?

How many credit cards of any kind have you/they applied for over the past 12 months? This seems to be the key criteria barclays is looking at these days - lots of people getting denied because they have "too many new applications" opened in the past year (or in some cases 2 years)...the exact definition of "too many" is slippery but I'm seeing more than a few people mentioning that when they pressed barclays recon line for the reason they were denied, they said 10-12 new cards over the past year mentioned as the reason for denial (this strikes fear into the hearts of bloggers...).

Thanks for any details you can share.
That's the only Barclays card we hold, US air 1 and 2.

We all opened 15+ accounts each of us spreading lover Amex, Chase, BoFa, Citi, earning total of 3 million miles 1 million hotel points in the pasy 2.5 years.
superking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 13, 1:19 pm   #3623
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamont2718 View Post
How much spending have you been doing on your cards in the last few months? Do you think you were you targeted for the offer because of low account activity?
I got the 15k July,August,Sept offer as well and only used my card once for a $7 purchase.
michael_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 13, 1:29 pm   #3624
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wine Country, Finger Lakes
Programs: LFFRS BOD
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmakes View Post
Just got this email offer:



If I'm reading this correctly, it means I have to spend $750 every month (so $2250) total. This doesn't seem to be as good as the 1,000 offer
I think the plus of this offer is that you do not have to have a credit check pull especially if you have had many cards opened in the last 6 mos.
Also in conjuction of opening up a second card would be another bonus.

I have yet to get the offer and I opened the card in February, only made one purchase since. Then husband applied in March and received the offer.
I will wait to see if anything comes by the end of June if not I will apply for a second card in July and see what happens. ( will post result)
__________________
the sweepster
duranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 13, 2:56 pm   #3625
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamont2718 View Post
How much spending have you been doing on your cards in the last few months? Do you think you were you targeted for the offer because of low account activity?
Both cards that I received the offer I made a single ~$5 purchase when the card opened.

First card opened 8/12, rec'd 10/17/12 offer for Nov/Dec/Jan

Second card opened 4/13, rec'd offer 6/19/13 for Jul/Aug/Sep

I think it was low spend driven.
dcpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 13, 4:12 pm   #3626
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Posts: 439
Anyone been approved recently for a 3rd US Airways card?
opus2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 13, 10:26 am   #3627
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 76
Questions:
1. What is the retention offer given by Barclays for this card? Any special number to call and tips on making the most of the call? Have a US Air card coming up for renewal in Aug/Sept

2. If I decide to pay the annual fee and keep the card for few more months and then cancel, do they prorate and refund the annual fee?


Data points:
08/2012 1st US Air card approved for 40k
06/2013 2nd US Air card approved for 35k (while 1st card still open)

* Barclays pulls TU where I have less inquiries (4 in last 12 months, 5 in last 24) compared to a lot more I have on my EX report.
acinchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 13, 11:06 am   #3628
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamont2718 View Post
How much spending have you been doing on your cards in the last few months? Do you think you were you targeted for the offer because of low account activity?
i just got the offer yesterday too, opened in april, one charge around $5 shortly after i got it, no use after that, until ironically the day before i got the offer. must have already been in the queue for low spend. glad i got the offer.
phantasmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 13, 11:17 am   #3629
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantasmic View Post
i just got the offer yesterday too, opened in april, one charge around $5 shortly after i got it, no use after that, until ironically the day before i got the offer. must have already been in the queue for low spend. glad i got the offer.
Just as a conflicting data point on this offer (15K miles after $750/month spend for 3 months), I opened a card in February, put $5 on it, got the 35K first spend bonus, and then put another $600ish on it to use the companion pass. Still got this offer a couple months ago.
brandoncwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 13, 2:43 pm   #3630
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncwu View Post
Just as a conflicting data point on this offer (15K miles after $750/month spend for 3 months), I opened a card in February, put $5 on it, got the 35K first spend bonus, and then put another $600ish on it to use the companion pass. Still got this offer a couple months ago.
Not conflicting as this was just a general guide as to most have gotten this offer by not using the card often and they "may" give the add on promotion but variations are possible as this is Barclay. My wife only used it once and never got the offer (she received the card in Feb this yr).
sharka is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:31 pm.